• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK... looking for a new 7x42 premium binoc (1 Viewer)

308CAL

WELL, I AM NOT A BIRDER BUT A HUNTER. I want a large sweet spot, bright, and a large FOV. I also need flare control, I dont want stray light at twilight preventing me from seeing what I need to see... These seem the same as the El's minus the magnesium and different bridge design... these have all the same coatings but are made of aluminum... Whats not to like about these???

How do they compare with other 7x42 binoculars out there??? I heard the 7x42 FL is awesome as is the ultravid but they both cost more..B :)

SLC
Ultravid
FL
?????

There aren't too many of these around any more. Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski have them. They are all heavy, very expensive and optically superb. Check www.eagleoptics.com to review their specs and prices. I have the now discontinued Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid which has since been replaced by the Ultravid model. It's a great binocular which has all the attributes you are looking for, and is tough as nails, but I don't think you will like lugging it around all day with along with a rifle and scope.
Bob

WELL, I AM NOT A BIRDER BUT A HUNTER. I want a large sweet spot, bright, and a large FOV. I also need flare control, I dont want stray light at twilight preventing me from seeing what I need to see... These seem the same as the El's minus the magnesium and different bridge design... these have all the same coatings but are made of aluminum... Whats not to like about these???

How do they compare with other 7x42 binoculars out there??? I heard the 7x42 FL is awesome as is the ultravid but they both cost more..B :)

SLC
Ultravid
FL
?????
I assume you're speaking of the SLCNeu 7X42. It's a superb binocular that should make you very happy. It has the best sweet spot of all the 7X42's and, if I didn't own an Ultravid, I'd own the SLC.
John

I am extremely happy with my older 7x42 Swarovski SLCs. The focus is very fast and smooth, and the view is superb.

Clear skies, Alan

I like this thread. I have a fascination with the 7x42 configuration. Despite some initial misgivings with 7x as being enough magnification for all types of birding I have come to believe that the 7x42 configuration, especially in a premium binocular, is all most folks really need. The view is so effortless and comfortable. The great depth of field coupled with the huge exit pupil really makes the image a true pleasure to view.

Having said that here are my favorites by what price I can find them for....

$750 Meopta Meostar - eurooptics.com
$900 Leica Trinovid - occasionally on Ebay and some places still have a few
$900 Swarovski SLC original - www.samplelist.com display model
$1099 Zeiss FL - demo unit Camerlandny.com
$1249 Leica Ultravid - demo unit camerlandny.com
$1299 Swarovski SLC new - no preference but usually Cabelas

The Leica Trinovid, Swaro SLC and Meopta have very large sweet spots but tend to be a bit on the heavy side (30 ounces +). The Ultravid has almost as large of a sweet spot but is a bit lighter with very vibrant colors. The Zeiss is the sharpest to my eyes with a noticeably wider apparent field of view compared to the others but there is noticeable blurring (astigmatism) in the outer one third of the image.

All are great glass. I ended up with the FL because I prefer the total lack of color fringing for hawk watching plus it is the lightest of the bunch.

A point that might favor the 7x42 Zeiss FLs for some is their close focus ability. That is the one improvement I'd really appreciate in my 7x42 SLCs.

Clear skies, Alan

I ended up with the Ultravid in 8x42. Liked everything about it. The FL, while being slightly brighter, suffers from astigmatism around the outer 3rd of the image. the SLC felt great but I liked the ultravid image better for me plus they are more compact.. After looking through the ultravids at night, i wonder ihow I could "need" a brighter binocular.. THey have some really neat looking light traps at 2 positions on the inside of both barrels...really prevents any flare from happeneing...tried looking at a streetlight and all around it at night and couldnt get any flaring

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back