• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oxfordshire Rubbish Dump & Red Kites (1 Viewer)

IDIC

Hi Everyone,

I've been "out of action" for a few months so, this question may already have been asked.

About 2 months ago the BBC ran a documentary called "Twitchers". In one scene the "Twitchers" were at a rubbish dump in Oxfordshire looking for a particular Gull. It's not so much the Gulls that I'm interested in, it's the Red Kites that seemed to be there in some numbers. It looked like a good place to get photos of them quite close up.

Can anyone please tell me where this rubbish dump is and how I get to the viewing spot shown in the film?

Many Thanks

It was filmed at Appleford GP's. I'm not too familiar with the area so couldn't tell you how close you'd get.

Another place to try would be the chilterns around Aston Rowant NNR - lots there, very close and great scenery (excluding the M40!).

Just search the Oxfordshire section (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=155) on here there are lots of places mentioned to get close to Kites.

Gareth

I go to the dump in question occasionally, though I'm not sure it is a great place to get photos of red kites. You cannot venture off the road, not sure the birds are any closer than they would be at other sites and the backdrop isn't the most attractive.

I agree with Gareth that you would probably be better off trying a site on the Chilterns or downland escarpment where you can often get at eye level with the birds. Red kites are pretty numerous in the area and somewhere like Aston Rowant NNR (near Christmas Common) would be a better bet.

Mike

Watlington hill SU703933 is a very good place to see Red Kites, they are at eye level.
There are some unofficial feeding of Red Kites in the Chilterns, these are obviously good places for photography

Mark

Thanks for all the information.

What I should have made clear was that I was after details about this site in order to take photos of Red Kites in a different location than usual. I'm a regular visitor to Mid-Wales and the Chilterns so I have lots of photos and film of Red Kites in nice country surroundings. I was just looking for something a bit different. Next time I'm in the area I'll give it a go and see what I come up with.

You could also include Ardley tip as a place to see Red kites. Had 8 the other day on the way home from work.

Di

Appleford GP are accessed off the B4016 just south-east of Appleford village. Coming away from the village, near a sharp bend, there is a small access road on your right with a level crossing barrier. Take this road and after a hundred yards or so you come out onto an informal parking area at the edge of a water filled pit with the tip behind it. Didcot power station provides a further stark background.

The pool itself attracts a variety of unusual gulls (Caspian and Yellow-legged in particular) whilst in recent times it came to greater prominence with the sighting of an Azorean Yellow-legged Gull, a potential future "split", as featured in "Twitchers" (and a rather unseemly episode between two of Britain's leading birders ...)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back