• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 10x40 Victory I vs II (1 Viewer)

DHB

According to BVD the first version isn't worth owning. Anyone else have an opinion? I have found the first version very reasonably priced and have looked through other sets of the first version and thought they were very bright and the resolution seemed on par for the price.
Just looking for first hand opinions.
Dave

Can't comment on the V1s, but the V2s are awesome. better than any other 10x roof prism.
(just sit back and wait for this thread to get Hi-jacked by the Nikon/Leica gang.)

The original victory one is optically identical to victory 2 ... the changes were basically just improved diopotre adjustment and more secure lugs where the strap attaches. There was never a victory two in Europe as we already had these extras fitted from the outset. It was highly amusing when all these stories of the fabulous version 2 came out from the U.S. last year ;)
The new FL series is a different league though.

Andy Bright said:
The original victory one is optically identical to victory 2 ... the changes were basically just improved diopotre adjustment and more secure lugs where the strap attaches. There was never a victory two in Europe as we already had these extras fitted from the outset. It was highly amusing when all these stories of the fabulous version 2 came out from the U.S. last year ;)
The new FL series is a different league though.

I tried one with the old style lugs at South West Optics some while ago. The lugs put me off. I heard that a Zeiss engineer went round the stores replacing the lugs with the new ones.

Leif said:
I tried one with the old style lugs at South West Optics some while ago. The lugs put me off. I heard that a Zeiss engineer went round the stores replacing the lugs with the new ones.
Ah thats interesting, i thought they got to them very early on over here...They were improved by stealth rather than a relaunch. Which now throws up problems because if the FL's are designated Victories (which i detest), then they are version 3 over in the U.S. and version 2 over here ;)

The two ads that I've seen in American magazines (see the "Zeiss Victory FL" thread) call the new ones "42FL," and the word "Victory" is nowhere in sight.

Curtis Croulet said:
The two ads that I've seen in American magazines (see the "Zeiss Victory FL" thread) call the new ones "42FL," and the word "Victory" is nowhere in sight.
Sounds as if a battle may have been won, U.S. marketing men in retreat ;) Certainly in europe every effort was going in to keeping them as solely FL though I still see the dreaded 'V' word cropping up all over the place describing them... even some early Zeiss literature on them states Victory (hopefully it's all been put on a bonfire now).

Andy Bright said:
The original victory one is optically identical to victory 2 ... the changes were basically just improved diopotre adjustment and more secure lugs where the strap attaches. There was never a victory two in Europe as we already had these extras fitted from the outset.

I got one of the first Victory 10x40's. In addition to the weird strap attachments they also had non-locking eyecups and the focussing was *extremely* smooth. I never really believed all those funny stories from the US about changes in the optics in the first place. My pair was fine right from the start, and of all the top roofs I tried I still prefer the Victory. I'll have to have a look at the FL, though.

By the way, I had Zeiss change the strap attachments last year, and they also changed the eyecups and the focussing. I prefer a slightly stiffer focussing, and on my pair there was no resistance at all. There wasn't (and isn't) any play either, of course. That's something the Leica people still don't seem to be able to get right.

Hermann

Hermann said:
I got one of the first Victory 10x40's. In addition to the weird strap attachments they also had non-locking eyecups and the focussing was *extremely* smooth. I never really believed all those funny stories from the US about changes in the optics in the first place. My pair was fine right from the start, and of all the top roofs I tried I still prefer the Victory. I'll have to have a look at the FL, though.

By the way, I had Zeiss change the strap attachments last year, and they also changed the eyecups and the focussing. I prefer a slightly stiffer focussing, and on my pair there was no resistance at all. There wasn't (and isn't) any play either, of course. That's something the Leica people still don't seem to be able to get right.

Hermann

Hermann,

Zeiss USA would not retrofit the first Victory glasses, but I am still pleased with my 8x40. A fairly recent 8x32 BN from Leica has what I call "sweet" focusing: smooth, easy and without play.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
The optical quality of the original Victories probably was unfairly maligned. I recently compared a new 8X40 to my 8.5X42 EL and found the Zeiss brighter, higher contrast and equally sharp. For those who can handle the ergonomics they should be quite a bargain at closeout and second hand prices.

I've looked through 3 or 4 of the original I's and I totally agree with Steve Ingrahams' original assessment regarding them. I never handled a pair that were as clear or sharp as any Leica BAs, Nikon LXs, Swaro ELs or even the Baush & Lomb Elites that I have touched.

I haven't had the opportunity to handle the II's. I believe Steve said something about something being done to reduce internal reflections.

Well I bought the Zeiss 10x40 Victory. I really like them except they are not the sharpest bin. My pair of Pentax 10x43SP and Nikon Venturers are both sharper and the Pentax have deeper colors. I am wondering if I should've bought the V II's?

Any thoughts???
Dave

DHB said:
Well I bought the Zeiss 10x40 Victory. I really like them except they are not the sharpest bin. My pair of Pentax 10x43SP and Nikon Venturers are both sharper and the Pentax have deeper colors. I am wondering if I should've bought the V II's?

Any thoughts???
Dave
There's no significant optical changes with the Version II, they are as the V I.

Victory I lack of resolution, contrast and color rend.

Andy Bright said:
There's no significant optical changes with the Version II, they are as the V I.
I don't know if it qualifies as significant but Zeiss in Germany and N.A. stated
"mechanical differences to decrease glare/flare resulting in better contrast."

I hope so because this pair (first design) is definitely not up to snuff. A pair of Pentax 10x43SP are sharper and have way-way better color. I have sent the Zeiss to Zeiss N.A. We will see what they have to say. I really like the apparent wide field of view over any 10x40/42 I have looked through but the lack of resolution was readily and easily apparent when comparing to the Pentax and Nikon HG/LX.
Dave

VIs and VIIs

DHB said:
I don't know if it qualifies as significant but Zeiss in Germany and N.A. stated
"mechanical differences to decrease glare/flare resulting in better contrast."

I hope so because this pair (first design) is definitely not up to snuff. A pair of Pentax 10x43SP are sharper and have way-way better color. I have sent the Zeiss to Zeiss N.A. We will see what they have to say. I really like the apparent wide field of view over any 10x40/42 I have looked through but the lack of resolution was readily and easily apparent when comparing to the Pentax and Nikon HG/LX.
Dave

In fact there are substantial differences between the VIs and VIIs. I have a pair of 10x40 VIIs and they are without doubt the sharpest, most contrasty, and brightest on rthe market. I think that they surpass ultravids and the swaro ELs. What Zeiss did between the VIs and VIIs was redesign the strap attachment modify the innards to shrapen athe view and reduce glare.

I have owned B & L Elite 8 X 42s, Pentax 8 X 42 SPs and Zeiss Dialyt 10 X 40 BGAs. About 4 months ago I decided to replace my ageing Zeiss with something new, with 10X power, and after extensive research on the web I decided that the Zeiss 10 X 40 Victory IIs had the widest f.o.v., lightest weight, and at least equal to the best optics, of all the high end roofs - so I bought a pair as my everyday binocs. I use them all the time, I have compared them to other birders' Pentaxs, Nikons, Leicas, and my own binocs. as listed above, and they knock the socks off all of them. They developed a problem with a loose focussing wheel, so I sent them back to Zeiss, and they fixed it perfectly, under their lifetime warranty, no questions asked, and I was only without them 9 days. (Although I agree, that shouldn't have happened in the first place).

Zeiss N. A. Customer Service

Just an update I sent the Victory I's to Zeiss in North America with a letter explaining my dissatisfaction and how the Pentax 10x43SP were superior. Here is there reply
"Dear Mr. Baie,

Please find enclosed your 10x40 VICTORY binoculars we had in for
evaluation. Your binoculars have been thoroughly examined by our service
technician and found to be to factory specification and tolerances. We
found no defects, nor could we find any need to make any mechanical
adjustments to the binocular.

While we appreciate your concern and disappointment over the quality of
your VICTORY binoculars in comparison to the Pentax in your possession,
regrettably, we cannot effect any repairs or adjustments to address the
difference of performance you find with the binoculars. As you mentioned in
your letter, several people did recommend the binocular to you other than a
Zeiss representative and unfortunately, opinions from other people as to
whether a certain product is best suited for you, are highly
subjective.

In sum, if you are dissatisfied with the binoculars, we can only recommend
you return them to your dealer for a refund.

If you have any questions in regards to this, please feel free to contact
me at (800)-441-3005x 5845.

Very Kind Regards,

Richard W. Moncrief

Service Manager
Carl Zeiss Sports Optics

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back