• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice pls on wb slc 10 x 50 (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
Posted this in sawrovski threads but see swarovski questions here, so sorry for doubling up.

I have a chance for a pair of the above and they seem cheap compared to other swarovski models at only £800 new as far as I can see.

is there a problem with them, does anyone have them or know of them and what they are like?

cheers

dave

Hi Dave

The SLCs are Swarovskis 'cheaper' range of roof prism, they are optically excellent, only just below the quality of the ELs. The close focus tends not to be as good as on the ELs. The SLCs are also heavier than the ELs, the 10x50s are large and heavy definitely make sure you try before buying. I'd recommend also trying the 8x30, 7x42 and 10x42 SLCs all will be a good deal lighter than the 10x50s.

Posted this in sawrovski threads but see swarovski questions here, so sorry for doubling up.

I have a chance for a pair of the above and they seem cheap compared to other swarovski models at only £800 new as far as I can see.

is there a problem with them, does anyone have them or know of them and what they are like?

cheers

dave

Dave,

with Swarobright coatings this 10x50 SLC is one of the best bins available. The weight could be the only complaint IMO.

Steve

Hi Dave

The SLCs are Swarovskis 'cheaper' range of roof prism, they are optically excellent, only just below the quality of the ELs. The close focus tends not to be as good as on the ELs. The SLCs are also heavier than the ELs, the 10x50s are large and heavy definitely make sure you try before buying. I'd recommend also trying the 8x30, 7x42 and 10x42 SLCs all will be a good deal lighter than the 10x50s.

The SLC line is less expensive than the EL, but there is no direct overlap; the SLC line appears to complement, rather than exist as a lower-cost line. The closest apples-to apples comparison you will get is between the SLC WB 10x42 and the EL 10x42. If you want Swaro in 8x, there are the ELs, in 7x, only the SLCs, in a 50mm obljective, only the SLCs, in a 32mm, only the ELs.
Optically they appear to have the same quality. Weight-wise and handling-wise, they are obviously different.

Thanx have decided to opt for a pair of 10 x 32 el that have been offered to me.

cheers again for all the input

dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back