• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best low light bin for up to $200 (1 Viewer)

MikeT307

I've been looking around for a sub $200 binocular that would have the best "bang for the buck".

The primary use for the binoculars would be identifying stationary raptors (birds of prey) in the morning and afternoon hours where shadows and available light are concerns. The FOV isn't as important to me as the brightness and clarity. I was looking at roof prism models but I'm not limited to that. I realize that optics in my budget will not fare well in low light situations but that's all I've got to work with. I would prefer a 10x model.

I also wear eyeglasses so keep that in mind.

What I was looking at were the
Eagle Optics Denali 10x42, Bushnell Trophy 10x50, Audubon Vector 10x42, Bushnell Natureview 10x42, Celestron Outland LX 10x42, Nikon Trailblazer 10x50, Vortex Crossfire 10x42.

Please feel free to add your suggestions to the pool.

Thank you for any input you may have!

If $200 is your spending limit then I would agree your choices are somewhat limited. I have often seen referenced where the Vortex Vulture 10x50s are excellent binoculars for the price in terms of their brightness levels and overall quality. MSRP is $330 so I would expect them to typically sell in the mid to low $200's.

Also, though it is significantly over your budget I was also very impressed by the Vortex Viper 8x42s I owned in terms of their brightness level. They easily beat other popular binoculars in their price range and ones a bit above them in this category. Once again I see that cameralandny.com has demo units on sale for $399.

Just thought I would throw those two out there for consideration.

Thank you both for your advice guys. I was looking at the Vortex Talon's for around $200. The budget may keep me with the larger Nikon Actions though. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

I've been looking around for a sub $200 binocular that would have the best "bang for the buck".

The primary use for the binoculars would be identifying stationary raptors (birds of prey) in the morning and afternoon hours where shadows and available light are concerns. The FOV isn't as important to me as the brightness and clarity. I was looking at roof prism models but I'm not limited to that. I realize that optics in my budget will not fare well in low light situations but that's all I've got to work with. I would prefer a 10x model.

I also wear eyeglasses so keep that in mind.

What I was looking at were the
Eagle Optics Denali 10x42, Bushnell Trophy 10x50, Audubon Vector 10x42, Bushnell Natureview 10x42, Celestron Outland LX 10x42, Nikon Trailblazer 10x50, Vortex Crossfire 10x42.

Please feel free to add your suggestions to the pool.

Thank you for any input you may have!

I have owned the Bushnell Natureview Roofs 10x42 and was very pleased with them. Good value for money and very light. If brightness is an issue 8x42 would be worth a look, although I prefer 10x, most users agree (having read through many birdforum posts) that any bird you can ID at 10x you will also ID at 8X.

I've just seen Talons in stores. They seem pretty decent to my eye. For the $200 limit they should be miles better than any of the other roof prisms you mentioned. Talons are phase corrected and the others aren't. A non PC roof will ultimately dissapoint. Phase coating will save headaches after a bout of hard use. Might not be readily apparent with cursory in store comparison. Talons also have the best FOV of the lot. It is easier to make a good glass in 8x at that price point than a 10x, so I would very much reccommend you go 8x at your limit. Vortex has a warranty that won't be beat. If I were you, I'd get the Talon (or Diamondback- same glass).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back