• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North West Bank Holiday Birding (1 Viewer)

Jazzbasser

With the wife away for a few days, I managed to spend pretty much a full day birding at some of my favourite spots here in the North West.

Fist stop, Martin Mere, where amongst other things there were:
2 Avocets - highlight of my day, as they're birds I've never seen before.
Oystercatchers
Ringed Plovers
Lapwings
Black Tailed Godwits
Greylag Geese
Canada Geese
Pink Footed Geese
Whooper Swans
Cormorants
Redshank
More Robins than you could shake a stick at!

Then, off to Mere Sands where I saw:
Great Crested Grebe
Little Grebe
2 x Great Spotted Woodpecker

Last stop, RSPB Marshside, where there were:
More Avocets (at least a dozen, but there had been up to 2 dozen earlier in the day)
Golden Plover
Goldeneye
Black Tailed Godwit

All in all, the best day's birding I've had in ages. Roll on the next Bank Holiday! :)

Yes sounds good doesn't it.

Our PF Geese & whoopers seem to have already flown north. Haven't seen them about for a couple of weeks

Hi Jazzbasser

I managed to get to MM as well yesterday and have the same list as you. We got some great views of a sparrowhawk by NWW hide. There seemed to be quite a few little plovers all over.

This year the numbers of Robins seems a lot more than normal. I was finding them every 10 yards or so.

My daughter saw Avocets for the first time so she was made up and didn't they make themselves easy to see. Last time I saw some they were in amongst a load of Gulls and it took me ages to pick them out. These seem to have been around there for few days now. There seems to be a fair few around the area as well.

Are you coming to the 'Oop North' bash, Jazzbasser? Looks like it could be quite good, especially for adding members to a tick list.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back