• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS 20D, 8.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body) (1 Viewer)

Bullock'sOriole

Pres. Spanish Springs Audubon Club
I was in the market for a new camera and i was wondering if this is a great outdoor/wilflife camera? Any help would be wonderful

It's a really good outdoor bird/wildlife body. Great would be the next step up. The 1DMarkll N. Weather-sealed, more focus points, higher burst framerate, faster processing, spot metering and a 2.5" LCD. But it retails for around $4000usd. For the price you can pick up a new 20D for, it's a very good lower-cost alternative. What lens you decide to attach will play a large part in determining how happy you are with this, or any body.

Add a nice super-zoom or prime and you will be ready to take some great shots of birds and wildlife :)

Steve

Need more focal length

Bullock'sOriole said:
Thank you. I'm gonna get a 200mm lens. do you think that will be the best for wild life?

First, 20D is a very good camera. It is also good for birding and wildlife. The sensor has one of the highest pixel densities of any DSLR (except Nikon D200), which helps when using good quality telephoto lenses. It also has 5fps burst capability. The 20D's sensor is also famous for very low noise at high ISO settings.

Having said that, many bird enthusiasts (including me) have chosen to buy the 350D instead for about $500 less and use the difference toward buying a better lens. 350D has effectively the same resolution as the 20D and noise performance is comparable up to ISO800.

For birds, especially small birds, 200mm is not going to be enough.

If you are getting the lens exclusively for birding, your best bet is the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L. You can add a Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter to increase the focal length to 560mm when you need more reach.

If you are looking for a more general purpose lens that will be used for birding once in a while, consider the Sigma 50-500mm EX DG or Tamron 200-500mm zoom lenses. Canon also makes a 100-400mm zoom with image stabilization which costs about $500 more than the Sigma & Tamron zooms.

Hi,

the 20D is a fantastic camera for both nature and more general photography and is really easy to use in fully automatic until you are confident to begin experimenting with the multitude of modes and options which are available for more creative effects.

The 200mm lens is a bit too restrictive - not really big enough for anything other than the closest of birds (maybe at a feeding station) and too much for general photography.

A far better option as a starting point is, as mac said, the "Bigma" (Sigma 50-500) but a lot of people find this is a heavy beast to have to carry, or a 100-400mm in Sigma or Canon with a 1.4x teleconverter.

It should also be said, the 20D has very recently been superceded by the 30D which ads spot metering and some other things at a lower list price. There can be good deals found on 20D's as a result.

I was extremely happy with my 20D, especially for bird photography. I bought a 1DmkII and sold the 20D, and I really miss it. One of the only camera's I have ever missed 9 months after selling it (the only other one was a Leica M6).

I agree with Macshark. More focal length. Even though the 20D gives you a 1.6x multiplier, you need 300mms minimum, to sucessfully shoot birds. 400mms+ is even better. All the lenses suggested are nice options. I really enjoyed the 50-500 and currently use the 400mm F5.6L with a 1.4X teleconverter (896mms FOV). Don't expect miracles. Small birds will still be small, even @ 896mms, unless you get closer with your feet.

Steve

I agree with Steve. The 20D or 30D is
a very capable camera for all types
of photography.

But it's essential that you buy the best
lenses you can afford. If your budget
allows, look at the Canon L series lenses,
the 300mm f4 and the 400mm f5.6.

Dave
http://www.pbase.com/dsktc/middle_creek&page=7

Bullock'sOriole said:
I was in the market for a new camera and i was wondering if this is a great outdoor/wilflife camera? Any help would be wonderful

I use the 10D (the predecessor to the 20D) and it is great for bird photography. The 1.6X factor makes a 400mm lens a 640mm lens. My only question is now since the 30D is out, why are you looking at the 20D? Beyond that, lenses are critical. I would recommend the Canon 100-400 IS, the Sigma 50-500 or the Tamron 200-500. If you plan to hand hold the Canon with IS has the advantage.

Just for interest, I use a 20D and the Sigma 50-500mm zoom. Its a great combination but I would say that a sturdy tripod is essential at these focal lengths.
I've had the 20D since xmas so if you look at the most recent pics on my site you can see what I have achieved with it.

All the best,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back