• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Lifers and a veritable feast of Red Kites! (1 Viewer)

Peter

After your excellent account of your trip, allow me to update you on "my" redkite in the garden here in Wycombe.

He was here again today, circling above. This time with his partner. I rushed inside, unfortunately all I had available was some chicken breast skin which I placed on the lawn. I couldn't throw the whole piece of meat out, my husband wouldn't have appreciated it somehow - it was his dinner!

The kite, after an hour or so, came so low I thought he was going to land on my roof.
He didn't swoop down this time though, I guess the chicken skin wasn't worth his energy.

Interestingly, it was the same time as yesterday, so I am quite tempted to have another go pretty soon, seeing as the kite is becoming a regular visitor.

Regards
Helen

Helen

You are so lucky to have your own personal Red Kite! Next time, never mind the wrath of your husband; bung the whole chicken out and see what happens!

Oh, by the way! Could any of enlightened professionals shed some light on these:

I have undertook the wonderful trip of translating C.Smart's Jubilate Agno into my native language; but it had appeared to me soon that I have set forth without the education matching the task. So now I am running across the Internet in search of information neccessary to make the translation at least reflect the magnificence of the original.

These are the questions I wanted humbly to ask here:

>Let Raguel rejoice with the Cock of Portugal

I know that there exists some legend on account of this cock in Portugal, but I could not find out which bird it exactly is about.

>Let Chesed rejoice with Strepsíceros, whose weapons are the ornaments of his peace...

Could this occasionally be a bird too?

>Let Hagar rejoice with Gnesion,

Is there some bird corresponding nowadays to this one mentioned in Pliny?

>Let Nahshon rejoice with the Seabreeze, the Lord give the sailors of his Spirit...

What this one may be?

>Let Ephah rejoice with Bupréstis, the Lord endue us with temperance and humanity, till every cow have her mate!...

Is this one a beetle or something else too?

>Let Eli rejoice with Leucon - he is an honest fellow, which is a rarity...

Who may be this one? Crocidura leucon or Leucon sp. (which is harder to suggest)?

>Let Pharaoh rejoice with Anatária, whom God permits to pray upon the ducks to check their increase...

Is there some bird corresponding nowadays to this one mentioned in Pliny?

>Let Atad bless with Éleos, the nightly Memorialist - eléison kýrië...

Does this one has latin name? and, if so, isn't it one of these two? and if so, which one: Aquila aleni or Ololigus lucarus?

>Let Zohar rejoice with Cýchramus who cometh with the quails on a particular affair...

Is this Pliny's bird identified?

>Let Becher rejoice with Oscen who terrifies the wicked, as trumpet and alarm the coward...

What is this? Just any Oscia, a singing bird?

>Let Shaul rejoice with Circos, who hath clumsy legs, but he can wheel it the better with his wings. -

Which circos is specifically renowned for its clumsy legs?

>Let Mibzar rejoice with the Cadess, as is their number, so are their names, blessed be the Lord Jesus for them all...

What may be this creature?

>Let Aréli rejoice with the Criel, who is a dwarf that towereth above others...

This certainly is a bird, but which one? Some kind of a lark maybe?

>Let Ábigail rejoice with the Lethóphagus - God be gracious to the widows indeed...

This one rather seems to be a fish... but there is a chance that it turns out to be a bird too.

>Let Ánanthoth bless with Saurix, who is a bird of melancholy...

???

>Let Shobab rejoice with Evech who is of the goat kind which is meditation and pleasantry...

Am I right supposing that this one is Nycticorax?

>Let Eliáda rejoice with the Gier-eagle who is swift and of great penetration...

This one I have some guesses about, but would like to have some authoritative opinion.

>Let Jonathan, David's nephew, rejoice with Oripelárgus who is noble by his ascent...

???

>Let Élkanah rejoice with Cymíndis - the Lord illuminate us against the powers of darkness...

>Let Ziba rejoice with Glottis whose tongue is wreathed in his throat...

>Let Lápidoth rejoice with Percnos - the Lord is the builder of the wall of CHINA - REJOICE!

Is this identified with some specific eagle?

>Let Phurah rejoice with Penélope, the servant of Gideon with the fowl of the brook...

???

>Let Mahlah rejoice with Pellos who is a tall bird and stately...

???

>Let Gera rejoice with the Night Hawk - blessed are those who watcheth when others sleep...

Nycticorax again?

Please crosspost your answers to [email protected], if it is not too much trouble.

Let Chesed rejoice with Strepsíceros, whose weapons are the ornaments of his peace...
Dove?.
Collared dove. Streptopelia decaocto

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back