• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new Papilio II (2 Viewers)

Just received the Papilio 2 today and would concur with previous findings that they are definitely better in terms of light scatter, backlight (eyepiece) light intrusion, brightness and sharpness. The difference is easily seen.

While checking the P1 and P2, I also thought it would be interesting to use them in mono mode and compare them to my Zeiss 6x18 monocular. The Zeiss is a Conquest model, so it’s the 2nd tier as opposed to their 1st tier glass as in the Victory models such as the 8x and 10x pocket binos. Also, the Zeiss has an apparent field of 41 deg compared to the Papilio’s 49. The Zeiss was the best monocular in a comparison I did a few years ago of a couple of dozen including all the top brands.

The P2 objective is a much deeper green than the P1’s. The P2 eyepiece is also a deep greenish while the P1 eyepiece is clear. The Zeiss has the deep purple/ruby color on both ends. An overhead light in the room reflects as purple in the P2, bright white in P1 and purple in the Zeiss.

Looking at brightly lit leaves and wood fences, the P2 and Zeiss are close in brightness and color while the P1 is noticeably dimmer, softer and warmer in color. The P2 is slightly brighter than the Zeiss.

Pointing closer towards the sun, the P1 often shows blobs of intruding light. Panning around, light scatter and light entering from behind occurs often in the P1. When it shows up, I look at the same view with the P2 and Zeiss and the image is cleaner and more contrasty without artifacts.

Looking at a shaded fence under a dense tree at sunset time was about the limit for useful seeing. Again the lesser brightness, softer contrast and warm color of the P1 stood out. What surprised me was that under this low light condition the Zeiss was a slight bit brighter than the P2. Expensive coatings sure make a difference.

The noticeable improvement in the P2 surprised me. I knew how important coatings are but this just emphasized how much of a difference the latest ones can make. The close performance of a $100 Pentax glass to a similarly sized $300 Zeiss glass didn’t surprise me because most of that extra Zeiss cost goes towards phase corrected roofs compared to cheaper but very efficient poro prisms, not to mention brand name and that law of diminishing returns.

With these binos and mono being so small and light, it was easy to flip back and forth, almost like a blink test, to compare them. Papilios are in a class of their own and this coating improvement removes the major annoyance these things had. Just wish they’d have straightened that objective end rubber foot so that it sits on a table without wobbling.

Is there a reason to upgrade from Papilio I to II? Or maybe I should add the Papilio II 8.5x and keep the older 6.5x?

Is there a reason to upgrade from Papilio I to II? Or maybe I should add the Papilio II 8.5x and keep the older 6.5x?

For me the upgrade was definitely worth it. The difference between the old and new is noticeable, especially re the glare from the old uncoated eyepieces.

I'm using this bin and a Canon 12x36 IS as my main two, so having that extra quality is worth it. Also, I think the price is great for what it is and there are always friends and family that will appreciate being given my old Papilio since it is so versatile.

My reasons for picking the 6.5x are the larger exit pupil, steadier view and larger field. If it were my only bino I might be tempted by the 8.5x.

Binoculars are rare and expensive here, they'll continue to sell the I for years until they finish their stock, before they bring the II. But I can buy it from abroad and I can give the older one to one of my kids.

Ah, what to do first? So many pieces of equipment, so little spare money!

. Pentax make the correct adapter post for these types of binocular, it is universal.
In addition to its being a tripod adapter, it also stabilises the binocular very well handheld.

Pentax also has a larger adapter for full-size binoculars

I make the weight 294 g :).

Just received the Papilio 2 today and would concur with previous findings that they are definitely better in terms of light scatter, backlight (eyepiece) light intrusion, brightness and sharpness. The difference is easily seen.

I do astronomy through microscopy, with the big time lump at the binocular scale. I got the version 2 last week and i agree.
With version 1 it was always a much used supplement to the primary "real" binocular i would carry.
Now; there will be times when i will go out with just the Papilio 2. I am actually tempted to eventually get a second pair for the car.
Version 2 may be (sans astronomy) the "swiss army knife" of binoculars. :t:

I found this picture on flickr, a user has built himself a device to protect against reflexions from the eyepieces.

I was interested to find out how those were made and found this on Andrew Ferarri's flickr site:

"Many people who own the Pentax Papilio binoculars are surely aware of the annoying stray light entering the eyepieces. The easiest solution is to cut up a piece of bicycle tube into the shape in the foto. You will gain in contrast and avoid internal reflections in the lens system. Works very efficiently and will not cause harm to your eyes in case you bump into the shield. Another good bonus is the fact that you always leave them on even in the carrying case."​

I must thank the OP and the many contributors to this thread for their views and reviews. The Pentax Papilio II 6.5x21 will do very well until I can find the old Leitz Trinovid 6x24 at a reasonable price!

I must thank the OP and the many contributors to this thread for their views and reviews. The Pentax Papilio II 6.5x21 will do very well until I can find the old Leitz Trinovid 6x24 at a reasonable price!

Hi,

even if you found a Trini 6x24 at a reasonable price, I'd be astonished if it offered a better view than the Papillo 2 - except for the field of view, which has to be paid for in dollars and miniscule eye relief...

I'd say, this is more of a collectors item.

Joachim

New Take on an Oldie but Goodie

I have become interested in owning a pair of binoculars that offered a very close focus for insect and floral viewing and narrowed it down to the Pentax Papilio II's. Price was right, thus stepped out on a limb...

I had considered the 8.5X for the additional resolution reasons, but decided on the 6.5 to garner a wider FOV, wider EP and less hand-holding shake. Unfortunately, the 1st 6.5x21 U-Series Papilio II Binocular I got came in Out of Collimation! I was really stern with the vendor when requesting an exchange, as the first pair came in with the OEM box set loosely inside the much larger shipping box (No Padding), allowing it to bounce around on it's 1500 mile journey (Sure it was out of collimation...Go Figure)! :-C

Received the exchanged Papilio II in Perfect collimation! However, the smooth focuser was hitting high resistance when out at 100yds or so. If I went steady to infinity, no hang up. But when I stopped around a focus of 90 to 110 yds, it took good effort to break the resistance for either going back to CF or up to infinity...Weird. Worked it steady for a couple of days with No Improvement...Had to go Back! Actually, the 1st & 2nd Papilios had serial numbers that were just 2 digits apart, both must have been manufactured on a Monday morning...After Holiday!! A 2nd exchange (3rd Papilio) was quickly on the way, with hopes a 3rd time would be the charm. Otherwise, it would have been like, "3 strikes-Your Out"! :storm:

Well, the 3rd Pentax Papilio II 6.5X21 has hit a Grand Slam! :bounce:

Functions and features are very impressive:

*super smooth even focus with no slack, no stickion, this unit has 1 revolution of focus for 5ft down to an amazing CF of just 15", 1 revolution for focal sweep from 5ft to 100ft, another full revolution beyond infinity
*IPD smooth with perfect resistance, perfect collimation, eye cups comfortable with great 3 position lock-ins
*solid grippe armor, full bino strap 360 deg rotation, good Ocular cover, nice cordura case and just 10oz of bino weight

Optically, these bat well above their price point:

*FOV is crystal clear and is sharp out to 90%+...Big Sweet Spot
*Colors are a little on the warm side with bright images-even in the shadows
*Pin-point focus and superb resolution details for a 6.5X
*CA and glare issues appear well controlled
*Reverse porro design presents a nice DOF stereopsis
*Good eye relief (no glasses) with quick FOV acquisition

Overall, I'm impressed with these 6.5X21's as they can offer a comfortable view throughout, Especially within their Amazing CF Range!! The vendor (B&H) has listened and the past 2 OEM boxes were well protected with BW (bubble wrap) and arrived in perfect collimation. The only real negative is that these are not weather proof, thus need to be treated accordingly!

Ted

Great and interesting review! I tried one in a store a few years ago just to satisfy curiosity. I was astounded at it's close-focus ability.

I'm surprised at how poorly B&H packed them. I've ordered a lot of things from them over the years, and have always been very happy at how well they pack items for shipping. I will also say that for the few times I have needed their customer service, they handled things quite well.......

I have become interested in owning a pair of binoculars that offered a very close focus for insect and floral viewing and narrowed it down to the Pentax Papilio II's. Price was right, thus stepped out on a limb...

I had considered the 8.5X for the additional resolution reasons, but decided on the 6.5 to garner a wider FOV, wider EP and less hand-holding shake. Unfortunately, the 1st 6.5x21 U-Series Papilio II Binocular I got came in Out of Collimation! I was really stern with the vendor when requesting an exchange, as the first pair came in with the OEM box set loosely inside the much larger shipping box (No Padding), allowing it to bounce around on it's 1500 mile journey (Sure it was out of collimation...Go Figure)! :-C

Received the exchanged Papilio II in Perfect collimation! However, the smooth focuser was hitting high resistance when out at 100yds or so. If I went steady to infinity, no hang up. But when I stopped around a focus of 90 to 110 yds, it took good effort to break the resistance for either going back to CF or up to infinity...Weird. Worked it steady for a couple of days with No Improvement...Had to go Back! Actually, the 1st & 2nd Papilios had serial numbers that were just 2 digits apart, both must have been manufactured on a Monday morning...After Holiday!! A 2nd exchange (3rd Papilio) was quickly on the way, with hopes a 3rd time would be the charm. Otherwise, it would have been like, "3 strikes-Your Out"! :storm:

Well, the 3rd Pentax Papilio II 6.5X21 has hit a Grand Slam! :bounce:

Functions and features are very impressive:

*super smooth even focus with no slack, no stickion, this unit has 1 revolution of focus for 5ft down to an amazing CF of just 15", 1 revolution for focal sweep from 5ft to 100ft, another full revolution beyond infinity
*IPD smooth with perfect resistance, perfect collimation, eye cups comfortable with great 3 position lock-ins
*solid grippe armor, full bino strap 360 deg rotation, good Ocular cover, nice cordura case and just 10oz of bino weight

Optically, these bat well above their price point:

*FOV is crystal clear and is sharp out to 90%+...Big Sweet Spot
*Colors are a little on the warm side with bright images-even in the shadows
*Pin-point focus and superb resolution details for a 6.5X
*CA and glare issues appear well controlled
*Reverse porro design presents a nice DOF stereopsis
*Good eye relief (no glasses) with quick FOV acquisition

Overall, I'm impressed with these 6.5X21's as they can offer a comfortable view throughout, Especially within their Amazing CF Range!! The vendor (B&H) has listened and the past 2 OEM boxes were well protected with BW (bubble wrap) and arrived in perfect collimation. The only real negative is that these are not weather proof, thus need to be treated accordingly!

Ted

Hi Ted!
You know I have never even picked up a pair of those! They sound like pretty good little binoculars!

Great and interesting review! I tried one in a store a few years ago just to satisfy curiosity. I was astounded at it's close-focus ability.

I'm surprised at how poorly B&H packed them. I've ordered a lot of things from them over the years, and have always been very happy at how well they pack items for shipping. I will also say that for the few times I have needed their customer service, they handled things quite well.......

Thanks Phil,

Yep...6.5X at 15"...who needs a microscope...Nice! :t:

Had similar "lack of packing" issues back in November with my 10X42L as the OEM box arrived loose inside the shipping box, causing the OEM box to became accordioned. However, the binos were in perfect condition. B&H CS did respond to my -packing issue- feedback and appears to have it fixed...for now!

I also have communicated with them concerning their Exchange policies and CS has responded back quickly, positively and very satisfactorily! ;)

Ted

You know I have never even picked up a pair of those! They sound like pretty good little binoculars!
They most certainly are. I agree with all the positive things Ted has said about them (and am glad to have avoided the packing and shipping problems when B&H send me mine).

...Mike

I have tried several Pentax Papilio II's. They were good as close distances but I didn't feel they were that sharp at greater distances. I feel their design is focused towards close focus and you give up some performance compared to other small binoculars at greater distances.

I just placed an order for these much lauded binocular carbuncles. Should be here in a couple of days.
They'll be locking horns directly with mint Leitz 6x24 Trinovid and Amplivid.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back