• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd female Blackbird N.E.London.....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Shot this early am today, through the bins it was silhouetted against the low bright sun, thus I took a few shots, have enlarged and lightened, appears to look somewhat attenuated, with contrasty pale area to the upper breast, tertial edging, isolated spotting to the chest/lower breast, belly, UTC's and the pp appears a tad on the long side. Has to be a female Blackbird...nevertheless an interesting one at that?

Also an immature Sprawk showing an ''inordinate'' amount of white to the rear crown? and (I never realised before! that female Chaffinches during Winter can have such flesh coloured bills!!)

Cheers

Attachments

• P1610304.jpeg  Frush 1..jpeg
    P1610304.jpeg Frush 1..jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 177
  • P1610305.jpeg  Frush 2..jpeg
    P1610305.jpeg Frush 2..jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 194
  • P1610308.jpeg  Frush 4..jpeg
    P1610308.jpeg Frush 4..jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 167
  • P1610357.jpeg  Hawk 82..jpeg
    P1610357.jpeg Hawk 82..jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 167
  • P1610164.jpeg  Chaff in pink 2..jpg
    P1610164.jpeg Chaff in pink 2..jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 157
That'll teach me to look at silhouettes TWICE! Turdus Mistle-aneous is a Stormcock!

Regarding the Sprawk here's another image...excessive amount of white on this 1st/2nd year bird?

I tend not to scrutinise female Chaffinches...or ''Blackbirds'' come to that ;) , however I'd not noticed this Winter? flesh pink colour to the bill on Chaffy before, presumably an oversight on my part, as the males tend to be grey at this time?

Attachments

• P1610363.jpeg  Hawk 9..jpg
    P1610363.jpeg Hawk 9..jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 88
Hi Ken,

Both male and female Chaffinch have light horn/pinkish toned bill in winter, the males change to the attractive, light blue colour with black tip and cutting edges around March in Denmark (possibly in February in Great Britain).

Here's one from the 15th of January:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures/birds_user_uploads/63785_UU_58224_bogf.jpg

The Sparrowhawk could be an adult female (albeit one with quite a pronounced, white supercilium), because of seemingly dark greyish brown upperside (would appear more brown in juvenile?).
The poor quality of the photos, however, easily allow for a juvenile (1cy) as well.
Only adult male (which has weak, or no white supercilium) can be safely excluded.

Peter

Last edited:
Agree with Peter on the Sparrowhawk; although I'd favour an adult female with fluffed up feathers (cold or just preening) on the head/cheeks making the Super seem thicker... Same for white on Nape

Hi Ken,

Both male and female Chaffinch have light horn/pinkish toned bill in winter, the males change to the attractive, light blue colour with black tip and cutting edges around March in Denmark (possibly in February in Great Britain).

Here's one from the 15th of January:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures/birds_user_uploads/63785_UU_58224_bogf.jpg

The Sparrowhawk could be an adult female (albeit one with quite a pronounced, white supercilium), because of seemingly dark greyish brown upperside (would appear more brown in juvenile?).
The poor quality of the photos, however, easily allow for a juvenile (1cy) as well.
Only adult male (which has weak, or no white supercilium) can be safely excluded.

Peter

Yes thanks Peter and Chris, It was a bugger to see through the matrix of branches, and with all that white on the super/nape/crown, although with nothing to measure it against, I was assuming female, here are two more images with a Magpie in tow.

Regarding Chaffinch, one of those regular birds that over the years I've never consciously focused on (no doubt there are others as well), tending to focus on ''scarcer'' taxa.

Cheers

Agree with Peter on the Sparrowhawk; although I'd favour an adult female with fluffed up feathers (cold or just preening) on the head/cheeks making the Super seem thicker... Same for white on Nape

Attachments

• P1610365.jpeg  Hawk 4..jpg
    P1610365.jpeg Hawk 4..jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 55
  • P1610366.jpeg  Hawk 5..jpg
    P1610366.jpeg Hawk 5..jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back