• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 80d or Canon 7d MK2 (1 Viewer)

danevansBOP

Hello Chaps

I have just got a sigma sport 150-600mm lense but I am looking to upgrade my canon 7d camera.

Any advice on recommendations would be massively appreciated.

If as it appears, you are a wildlife photographer in the main, I would say that the 7D mk2 is the best option for you as an upgrade. I went the same way just over a year ago and the upgrades between the original 7D and the mk2 are massive and the original was no slouch.
The 80D is a direct upgrade from the 70D and as such is probably going to turn out to be a good one. But it is not a Pro grade body and won't withstand the same amount of wear as the 7D2 which is a professional body with a weather sealed magnesium case(not polycarbonate), more AF points, 10 fps shooting, and now a proven wildlife / sports camera. Yes, the high ISO performance may still not be as good as we would like, but it's a marked improvement over the 7D.
The difference in cost is not that great £1079 (7D2 with cashback offer), £999 80D, and I personally feel that the 7D2 is the best crop sensor camera on the market currently.
I'm sure the 80D will have it's admirers and the early reviews indicate that it's a great all rounder but for wildlife / bird photography, I still think the 7D2 takes the vote by quite a margin.

Same here, I can't decide between the 80D and the 7D II. Currently have the 7D, 100-400 lens, and would ideally like a second camera body.

Are the improvements significant to justify an upgrade from the 7D to the 7D II..?

In your situation I would buy a used eos 1D mkiv,the noise levels at higher iso's are better than the two cameras you mentioned.The 1Dmkiv is a pro grade camera and built like a tank,a good used one can be had for roughly the same money as a 7D mk2 and mints one's are going for more than the 7D mk2's that's how good they are.

Cheers.

Steve.

Same here, I can't decide between the 80D and the 7D II. Currently have the 7D, 100-400 lens, and would ideally like a second camera body.

Are the improvements significant to justify an upgrade from the 7D to the 7D II..?

Got a 7DMK2 FOR SALE SEE AD. If interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back