• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100-400 mk2 loose screws (1 Viewer)

AmyN

I rarely take my mk2 100-400 off my 7d2 but noticed today the lense was flopping about on the camera. The screws on the camera mount of lens have become seriously loose. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

A.

Thanks Dave. Tightening them up is not an issue, but the screws coming loose again would be. I am thinking of using Loctite on them but might be overreacting a bit.

A.

I have little direct experience of such a problem (I have Mk2 on an entry-level 700D) but Loctite seems a bad idea! Apart from anything else, if the camera were sent to Canon at any point in the future, it probably wouldn't make them too happy to find the user has attempted a repair like this. Anyway, best of luck!

If you think that the screws may come loose again then a very small dab of nail varnish on the threads will stop them working loose. Locktite blue will do the same thing a bit more securely.

Be careful with the screws as they are not a normal UK/EU standard. Whilst a small Phillips screwdriver will fit it will not fit properly so go gently to avoid damaging the screw heads. It is not a big problem just go gently.

Given that you live in London it might be worth seeing what Canon Elstree have to say, this shouldn't have happened so they might be sympathetic?

Thanks. I will go with the Loctite blue. I don't want to loose the lens to Canon, there is bound to be something I will want to snap while it is away.

A.

I had same problem

Thanks. I will go with the Loctite blue. I don't want to loose the lens to Canon, there is bound to be something I will want to snap while it is away.

A.

I had same problem a couple of years ago (there is an earlier thread where recommendation was Loctite blue) - so far no repeat of the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back