• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax scope Barlow lens problem (1 Viewer)

mikalm

I have a Pentax PF-65ED-A Angled 65mm ED Spotting Scope and I just purchased a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow lens. With both of my eyepieces, a Hyperion 13mm, and a Pentax 20x-60x zoom, I am unable to achieve focus at infinity. There is not enough focus travel in the scope. Is this a problem with the scope or with the particular Barlow lens? Would a different Barlow lens work better? Is there another way to solve this problem?
Thanks for your help.
Michael Kalm

Only with Televue Powermates you will reach focus - the traditional barlows change the focus too much and birding scopes will not reach focus. For birding you should consider to buy another eyepiece instead of a powermate - the lowest increasing factor is 2.5x which means is not very usable for the zoom and for higher powers you probably would be better served with a Hyperion 5mm (if it reaches focus also) instead of buying the powermate and it will be cheaper.

David

I have a Pentax PF-65ED-A Angled 65mm ED Spotting Scope and I just purchased a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow lens. With both of my eyepieces, a Hyperion 13mm, and a Pentax 20x-60x zoom, I am unable to achieve focus at infinity. There is not enough focus travel in the scope. Is this a problem with the scope or with the particular Barlow lens? Would a different Barlow lens work better? Is there another way to solve this problem?
Thanks for your help.
Michael Kalm

if you unscrew the barlow lens from the body and screw it into the hyperion, chances are it will then come to focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back