• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New (used) Leupold (1 Viewer)

mikefitz6

I was able to find some used 8x32 Golden Ring, not HD, for $325. They will be here in a few days. I came close to spending about $40 more for some new Katmai's, but I think I will be happier with this choice.

After looking for some time and trying to decide between the various alpha bins, I will be happy with these for the price. I really liked the Swarovski 8x32 EL's, but the price was just too much at this time.

I know the Golden Rings are a few ounces heavier than some choices, but the size is right.

From what I have read here, this will get me close to the alpha quality with an extra $700 to $1300 in my pocket. That should do for now!

Thanks to all for your comments on the Golden Rings.

Mike

Just got the Golden Ring 8x32. It was already getting dark, so it is hard to tell how accurate my initial reaction was when comparing them to my Pentax DCF WP 8x42.

The good - The Golden Ring at the very least seem to have better contrast. Colors pop more and seem to have more of a 3D effect because of this. I also think they are sharper. They can also focus much closer than the Pentax bins.

The bad - I got these used, but the focuser squeaks and is harder to turn when going towards infinity. The focuser is much smoother and easy to turn when focusing close. Too bad I am more interested in what is farther away.

I have a few choices,

I can live with it - but it really drives me crazy. I don't find this an acceptable choice.

See what the seller has to say.

Send them to Leupold to be fixed.

Does anybody have some comments? Is this easily fixed at home? By the way, I am about to write to the seller.

Mike

Mike, I just got a pair of GR HD 8x32 myself (after you bought yours) and they also arrived yesterday. I haven't taken them out yet, but from my comparison with the 8x32 SE's indoors, I would say their view is almost as good as the SE's, as far as I can tell without using them in real birding environment. If the image in your non-HD version is close to what I see in my HD, I think you would be hard pressed to find something better at the price you paid for yours. I'm sorry to hear that the focuser doesn't work right on your sample, and it sounds like something you shouldn't live with. But if I were you, I would take it to the field and get a more thorough evaluation for its optical and mechanical (balance, weight, hinge, etc.) qualities before I decide what to do. I've never dealt with Leupold service before, but from what I heard they are among the best in the industry. So if you decide to have it fixed by Leupold, they are very likely to make it right and make sure you are happy with their top-of-the-line product. The Golden Ring products come with lifetime transferable warranty, and it's safer to let the professionals fix it than doing it yourself. Regardless, writing to the seller is the right thing to do. At least you can find out if the focuser problem is caused in the shipping process. Good luck!

Ning

That said Leupold CS is well known for its quick response on plenty of the hunting forums. And I think SteveC sent them a Switch Power (another Gold Ring bin) for repair after an eBay purchase and got it back in excellent condition with the problem fixed.

I think it comes down to if you want to keep it or not.

Ning and Kevin,

Thanks for your advice.

I contacted the seller and he knew of the focus problem and has agreed to give me a refund. I am very pleased with the views. I have decided it will be better to keep the binoculars and send them into Leupold for service. Aside from that dog-gone squeak, they are great. I hope even the squeak will be gone soon.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back