• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi new here and need some advice (1 Viewer)

bcraig

Hi ,I am new here and would like some advice.
I want to get a pair of binoculars for game viewing and hunting.
I will be using the binoculars for finding squirrels in the woods but Mainly for finding deer.let me explain,I for the most part hunt from a stand overlooking cut over rice fields(grain has be take from the stalks but the stalks remain as stubble and they are 3 to 4 feet high ),deer like to bed down in this and what i will be looking for are the horns of a buck sticking above the rice stubble at ranges of 100 to 500 yards or so.
I have been reading a lot about the leupold Yosemite 6x and 8x and have recently heard about the Eagle optics 6x and 8x Raven.
I am looking for a pair of binoculars that are waterproof and fogproof at the price point of $125.00 and less.
I need some opinions as to what to get and why.I am 51 years old and extreemly nearsighted corrected by contact lenses.
Thanks ,Craig

Hi ,I am new here and would like some advice.
I want to get a pair of binoculars for game viewing and hunting.
I will be using the binoculars for finding squirrels in the woods but Mainly for finding deer.let me explain,I for the most part hunt from a stand overlooking cut over rice fields(grain has be take from the stalks but the stalks remain as stubble and they are 3 to 4 feet high ),deer like to bed down in this and what i will be looking for are the horns of a buck sticking above the rice stubble at ranges of 100 to 500 yards or so.
I have been reading a lot about the leupold Yosemite 6x and 8x and have recently heard about the Eagle optics 6x and 8x Raven.
I am looking for a pair of binoculars that are waterproof and fogproof at the price point of $125.00 and less.
I need some opinions as to what to get and why.I am 51 years old and extreemly nearsighted corrected by contact lenses.
Thanks ,Craig

Both are good binoculars, but the focus wheel gets really stiff the colder it gets. I had my vortex raptor (same as raven) out in 20 deg weather and it got really stiff. if you can handle that limitation, they are great.

I like the Yosemite 6x30 a lot, but I think 500yds might be pushing it for a 6x, and the 8x could be a little dim for dawn/dusk. I'm not a hunter but I imagine the Nikon Action EX 8x40 might be a good alternative. Not sure about the focus at low temperatures.

David

For $125 or so, you're not gonna get much in a waterproof roof glass. Double that amount & your options will be a lot better.

As an aside.....you're not taking 500 yd shots I hope.

For $125 or so, you're not gonna get much in a waterproof roof glass. Double that amount & your options will be a lot better.

As an aside.....you're not taking 500 yd shots I hope.

Both the Yosemite and Raven are porro prism and not roof prism.
No I dont take 500 yard shots Normally prefer 300 and under,BUT I want to be able to spot the deer at ranges up to 500 yards or so so I can either stalk closer or find out where deer are entering the field.
In addition I am 51 and have killed a lot of deer in my 40 plus years of hunting so dont have to shoot every deer I see but i do like to watch them.

Well, I picked up a 6x30 Yosemite a couple wks ago for $70 to keep as a glovebox bino, and I'm well pleased. It sez waterproof, and probably for a light shower it would be OK (I'd leave the eyepiece cover on), but I don't think it would take being dropped in a river or deep puddle unless you could retrieve it right away. External focus glasses are almost impossible to seal, particularly when you start moving the focus.

6x would probably do to spot critters at 500 yd....if they were moving a little. 8x would be better, 10x would be best.

bcraig

Probably the best bino that suits your requirements is the 8x42 Zen Ray Vista which can be had for less than $130, and is a fine little roof prism bino with excellent features, specifications and reviews. Cameralndny and SWFA both carry this bino.
http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-Vista-Binoculars-C2700.aspx

Another good bino would be the Bushnelll Excursion EX 8x36 or 7x36 if you could find one for less than $130. Sometimes ebay has them for less than $125.

The Yosemite 8x30 is a great little bino as has already been pointed out, but it is a porro design, not entirely waterproof, and a little more delicate in the field than a roof. Great optics though for the near $100 price.

Have you tried any binos out at all? and if so which ones tricked your trigger?

tom

Thanks for the info and the links guys.
Lilcrazy2 I have used various different cheapo binoculars 8x25 trashcos etc but never had enough sense to try a decent binocular.So this wiil essentially be my first set of real binoculars.
Have you actually used the 8x42 Zen Ray Vista and if so how does the optics compare to the Yosemite 6x ? Thanks, Craig

bcraig
I have the Zen ZRS HD 8x42 and 10x42 model. I have not used the Vista, but was basing the reco on others who have reviewed it. Not many good roofs out there at your price point of $125. If you haunt ebay for a while, you can pick up some excellent binos fairly reasonable.
The 8x30 Yosemite view comes fairly close to the ZRS HD and would probably be equal to or very slightly exceed the Vista. The only 6x I have is a pair of 6x32 Leupold Katmai roofs, which are simply outstanding.

bcraig
I have the Zen ZRS HD 8x42 and 10x42 model. I have not used the Vista, but was basing the reco on others who have reviewed it. Not many good roofs out there at your price point of $125. If you haunt ebay for a while, you can pick up some excellent binos fairly reasonable.
The 8x30 Yosemite view comes fairly close to the ZRS HD and would probably be equal to or very slightly exceed the Vista. The only 6x I have is a pair of 6x32 Leupold Katmai roofs, which are simply outstanding.

Thanks Tom I appreciate the info
Craig

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back