• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First birding birding lens (1 Viewer)

pcolbeck

Hi

I have an Olympus E500 with both the kit lenses and want to get a lens to try taking some bird photographs and for some general wildlife stuff when I go to Canada for my hols later in the year. At the moment I cant run to the £700 that the Sigma Bigma will be when it finally arrives but I thought about maybe getting a 4/3 to OM adaptor and picking up say an OM system Zuiko Auto-T 1:4.5 f=300mm from eBay or similar. Would this have a long enough reach for birding and as it aprime not a zoom would that be much off a disadvantage (I guess the optics would be clearer than a zoom).

Thanks

Pat

OM adapter and Oly lens will work but no auto focus as lens is all manual,, think I would go for a 400+mm for birding with the DSLR,,

I believe the Oly has a 2x lens factor, correct? The 300mm lens would be equiv to 600mm and would probably be great!

Manual can be a bear to deal with but it can be done!

The E500 is not the easiest Olympus DSLR to use a manual lens on - as it has the smallest viewfinder image in the series for focussing. You can get a magnifying eyepiece but I ended up using an E-1 for my manual lenses up to the 500 mm CAT (lovely close-ups, but needs a good tripod). Don't forget that you also need the auto to manual adaptor (about £100 to free depending on deals). For starting out the Auto focus Sigma 55-200 will give you the equivalent of a 400mm - less than £100 at Warehouse Express (cheaper than buying a manual adaptor!)

The Sigma 135-400 is now available in 4/3 fit - seems to be on offer from around £389 to £430 - 270-800mm on the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back