• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are red squirrels insane? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I was just watching a red squirrel.

He would be foraging quietly for food under the leaves, then all of a sudden, flip out and dive up a tree. after pausing for a while, it would go back down to the leaves. then he went back up again.

Other times, he would be getting closer to the house, and suddenly, he would head the opposite direction, as if something was out to get him (I know how he feels...). then as he was heading back, he would pause on the rock wall (out of my sight), and suddenly I saw something fly onto the tree next to the rock wall. He then kept about his business of diving up trees and foraging. occasionally, he would just about go ballistic with himself.

Now, my question: Are red squirrels insane crazy, crazy insane, both, or neither?

gthang said:
I was just watching a red squirrel.

He would be foraging quietly for food under the leaves, then all of a sudden, flip out and dive up a tree. after pausing for a while, it would go back down to the leaves. then he went back up again.

Other times, he would be getting closer to the house, and suddenly, he would head the opposite direction, as if something was out to get him (I know how he feels...). then as he was heading back, he would pause on the rock wall (out of my sight), and suddenly I saw something fly onto the tree next to the rock wall. He then kept about his business of diving up trees and foraging. occasionally, he would just about go ballistic with himself.

Now, my question: Are red squirrels insane crazy, crazy insane, both, or neither?
Well I don't know about red squirrels as we sadly don't get any on my part of the UK .... but the greys we have in the garden have all at various times displayed the sort of behaviour you descirbe. I prefer not to think of it as insanity (I don't like the idea of insane squirrels in my loft) more a spring induced "joie de vivre" ...........we have one currently that quite frequently spends the odd 5 minutes doing somersaults, on its own, quite obviously just for the hell of it !!

I think i saw some greys mating earlier this morning, not a nice thought...

They were chasing each other, literally tail to nose, endlessly around the trunks of trees, down the length of the rock wall, somersaulting over each other, tumbling around, rolling downhill, and at some points, saw what could have be some humping....... (yuk.).

Crazy squirrels...

We get crazy Red Squirrels in our garden here in Germany.

Attachments

• DSCN0084.JPG
    DSCN0084.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN0085.JPG
    DSCN0085.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 176
Gaz, yours are long eared. We get reddish versions of gray squirrels. they look like chipmunks but twice as big. But they are smaller than greys. they are probably around 2/3rds the size of a grey.

Hi Gthang,

I'd guess yours was trying to attract a mate.

On squirrels: American Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) and European Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) are two different species.

American Gray Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) is introduced in Europe, so is now found on both sides of the Pond, though it is only native to America.

Michael

Michael: Which squirrel are you referring to?

Regarding the Genus part of scientific name, it bodes well with their personalities! they are "scurius" little buggers!

It's a bugger when you have no baffle.
Aw crikey! He's at it again, fo' shizzle.

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Gthang,

I'd guess yours was trying to attract a mate.

On squirrels: American Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) and European Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) are two different species.

American Gray Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) is introduced in Europe, so is now found on both sides of the Pond, though it is only native to America.

Michael
And from an snippet on Radio 4 this morning it sounds as though the Cumbrian Red Squirrel is a distinct subspecies.

Jason

"It's a bugger when you have no baffle.
Aw crikey! He's at it again, fo' shizzle"

Nevermind the squirrel, are you crazy :)

gthang said:
I think i saw some greys mating earlier this morning, not a nice thought...

They were chasing each other, literally tail to nose, endlessly around the trunks of trees, down the length of the rock wall, somersaulting over each other, tumbling around, rolling downhill, and at some points, saw what could have be some humping....... (yuk.).

Crazy squirrels...
I'm curious as to why the disgust at seeing Gray Squirrels? I understand why Europeans don't like them but Gray Squirrels are native to the Eastern US and once provided a mature food source to the early settlers.

they're everywhere.... on the feeders, digging holes in our yard, being chased by naighborhood pets, climbing trees, and who knows where else...

Although they're cute, they're nuisances nevertheless.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
My sister (in Crosby) had one running along her garden wall a few months ago!

I've found the thread where I mentioned this:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=8183&highlight=crosby
I hadn't realised that there were any reds in Crosby. I thought they were all pretty much confined to the Freshfield/Formby area. I shall have to keep a look out next time I'm up that way. From what I remember, you said your sister lived near what used to be referred to as `Crosby Baths' when I lived up there - but which I believe is now an up market leisure centre !!

Edit : Just went off for a quick google and found this site :

http://www.seftoncoast.org.uk/redsquirrel.html

Some of the links off here are v. interesting if you are interested in the red squirrels population of this area.

Last edited:
Following up on earlier comments about Grey's on this side of the pond, I read an article in the Times a couple of days ago which suggested that they were indeed a good food source, even citing an article from the '40's with recipe suggestions.

So that's the solution to our Grey problem, cull them and eat them. It will help the Red's and we can look forward to such delights as Squirrel Tikka Massalla and Seared Squirrel Steak with a Redcurrant Jus.

By the way, I'm having a Dinner Party and if..........no, not really.

Interestingly, if you catch a Grey, it is illegal to release it into the wild.

Squirrel recipe.

It's funny you should say this - in today's Guardian there is a recipe for a grey squirrel dish - and suggestions for cooking other species whose numbers are over-large!!

It's quite graphic - not for the squeamish - it suggests leaving the squirrel heads on - "the eyes will cloud over like opals in the heat of the fire"!!! (Under the grill, actually). :eek!:

Read it here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1191223,00.html

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back