• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

comparing the new Yosemites to the old Yosemite?? (1 Viewer)

bcraig

Hi,anyone here had a chance to compare the New Yosemite to the old Yosemite ?? I am very interested as i am goint to order a pair today.

bcraig

You ordered the old model from EO as the only people that have the new model (BX-1) on their website is www.swfa.com and they are not available yet. There is another thread where we have discussed the differences between the old and new, and the fact that the new ones are not even on Leupolds website, and speculation about when they might be released.

Enjoy your new Yosemites as they are a fine bino. Did you wind u going with the 6x or 8x model?

tom

I went for the 6x.
going to go out and see if the 6x is going to do what I need done if not then I will try 8x.
I THINK that the 6x will do it as I have used Leupold 6x36 riflescopes and can see horns at 500 yards(barely).
Out of curiosity other than being easier to scan the fields with than holding my rifle up and looking through the scope (dont worry, private property no danger of pointing at something i shouldn,t)what are the differences going to be in image perception ? Clearer,crisper etc? Thanks, Craig

FWIW, I used my Yosemite 6x30 all hunting season. Larger binocs stayed in the house. I appreciate the little Yo's more every time I use them. Mixed hardwood/cedar swamp/fields.

re

FWIW, I used my Yosemite 6x30 all hunting season. Larger binocs stayed in the house. I appreciate the little Yo's more every time I use them. Mixed hardwood/cedar swamp/fields.

Thanks for the info,did you have any problem in the rain or high humidity conditions with fogging ?

It didnt rain, and humidity was low (cold) however it did snow on me (and then melt). Quite a few times. The only issue I had with them was external fogging from my breath.

I wear them inside my jacket, and pull them out ot use them. This way they dont clank or catch on things.

With this in mind, I dont think external fogging would be avoided regardless of brand. Perhaps with some super special coating? I dknot know.

I washed them in the sink and had no issues either.

It didnt rain, and humidity was low (cold) however it did snow on me (and then melt). Quite a few times. The only issue I had with them was external fogging from my breath.

I wear them inside my jacket, and pull them out ot use them. This way they dont clank or catch on things.

With this in mind, I dont think external fogging would be avoided regardless of brand. Perhaps with some super special coating? I dknot know.

I washed them in the sink and had no issues either.

I wouldn't wash these in the sink. These porros have seals which slide
up and down with the eye bridge. You can hear them when you focus.

Just take care and clean the lenses in a normal way, with a brush, cleaning solution and a microfibre cloth.
Really the only binoculars to clean in the sink are fully waterproof roof types, they do not allow easy entry of water.

Jerry

Thanks to all,Binoculars are alright but I dont care for the eyepieces as I like them extended all the way and they collapse way to easily.
Also the case seems like if worn on the belt thaat if it was to catch on a tree limb or briars that it would rip rather easily.
The binoculars are nice and clear though and small and lightweight.
After using them i believe i could hold a pair of 8x or 10x binoculars steady enough.
Well guess i will just have to experiment and find out !

Craig
You may want to get some orings to put around the eyepiece tubes to keep the cups in the up position, or use a rubber band. On my 8x30's I only use them in the half up position and have 2 orings under them to keep them from collapsing. The orings also help in keeping any debris from collecting in the recess.

tom

re

Craig
You may want to get some orings to put around the eyepiece tubes to keep the cups in the up position, or use a rubber band. On my 8x30's I only use them in the half up position and have 2 orings under them to keep them from collapsing. The orings also help in keeping any debris from collecting in the recess.

tom

Tom
Now that is a great idea !
Thanks,Craig

I'll avoid washing them in the sink... thanks for the tip.

My only real annoyance with the Yo is the collapsable eyepiece. They dont stay up, and like you, I like them fully extended. That rubber band is a fine idea. I'll try that!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back