• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel tripod - mus go in hand luggage (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

Has anyone got any ideas for a travel tripod that would function with a scope, but will go into "standard hand luggage" and not have to be carried separately. Many airlines / security staff are paranoid over their use as weapons, so the lighter and more compact the better! I iamgine a 5 section leg tripod would be required?

thanks
alan

I think there are potentially lots of lightweight and compact tripods that will fit in hand luggage. It probably depends what you plan to mount on it and how much you want to spend. I have this tripod:
http://dc-photo-review.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/benro-2nd-generation-flat-folding.html
It works well with a Nikon ED50 but I suspect wouldn't work as well with a bigger scope (though maybe you could change the head). It's a flat tripod so fits easily into hand luggage, as well as being light weight and short.

Not sure how easily available it is now, but similar models are not too hard to find and are likely to be £200-250.

Has anyone got any ideas for a travel tripod that would function with a scope, but will go into "standard hand luggage" and not have to be carried separately. Many airlines / security staff are paranoid over their use as weapons, so the lighter and more compact the better! I iamgine a 5 section leg tripod would be required?

thanks
alan

I thought that my Velbon Ultra Luxi with Really Right Stuff bh-25 ballhead fit that description, but I once had to put it in checked baggage for "security reasons" when flying back to the USA from Brazil. I kept the head and the center column with me and just checked the legs. Got them back no problem on the other end.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back