• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fixed Mag. Eyepiece Advice Please (1 Viewer)

Ridge Walker

I'm looking for a fixed mag Wide angle eyepiece that will fit my Opticron MM3 50 ED. I want to use it mainly for digiscoping. Or is the 12x36 SDL eyepiece ok?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

the SDLv2 zoom is very sharp and to the edge too due to a field flattener but it's not very wide at the low mag end. The data given on the Opticron page for that combination (60/1000m at 12x and 36/1000m at 36x) amount to an AFOV of 41 deg at the low end (tunnel view) and a whopping 74 deg at the high mag end (certainly wide angle).

In case of the MM3 50mm it might actually work quite well since the very narrow low mag end is probably seldom used due to being a binocular magnification... at the usual 20 or 30x it's fine.

Although one BF member sold his SDLv2 due the fact that it unbalanced the tiny MM3 - not sure if this is a big problem on good a tripod...

Unfortunately Opticron has recently discontinued some fixed EPs in the HDF series with the replacement models due later this year. So currently no 30x wide angle EP available for the MM3 - but usually their field of view is 38/1000m or so at 30x, so the SDLv2 at the high mag end is actually better.

Joachim

Hi,

the SDLv2 zoom is very sharp and to the edge too due to a field flattener but it's not very wide at the low mag end. The data given on the Opticron page for that combination (60/1000m at 12x and 36/1000m at 36x) amount to an AFOV of 41 deg at the low end (tunnel view) and a whopping 74 deg at the high mag end (certainly wide angle).

In case of the MM3 50mm it might actually work quite well since the very narrow low mag end is probably seldom used due to being a binocular magnification... at the usual 20 or 30x it's fine.

Although one BF member sold his SDLv2 due the fact that it unbalanced the tiny MM3 - not sure if this is a big problem on good a tripod...

Unfortunately Opticron has recently discontinued some fixed EPs in the HDF series with the replacement models due later this year. So currently no 30x wide angle EP available for the MM3 - but usually their field of view is 38/1000m or so at 30x, so the SDLv2 at the high mag end is actually better.

Joachim

Excellent info. Thanks. :clap:

I think I will try the Opticron photo smartphone adapter with my Galaxy S7 no real extra weight added to back end. Will post some pics. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back