• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Tripod Vanguard vs Manfrotto (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi all,

I would like to hear your opinion about which tripod would be better to buy for my Nikon ED82.

The first one is the VANGUARD ABEO 283AV with PH-114V head:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/spanish/c/product/866392-REG/Vanguard_ABEO_283AV_Abeo_283AV_Tripod_With.html

The second one is the MANFROTTO MT190X3 with MHXPRO 2-WAY head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071811-REG/manfrotto_mk190x3_2w_3_section_tripod_with.html

More or less, same weight, height, load capacity...never tried them so I don't which one is better for a scope.

Could you help me?

Thanks!!

Hi,

both look quite up to the task. You might want to ask if the fluid head and quick release plate are metal too - some days ago sb. on this forum learned that a nice Velbon tripod came with a quite flimsy plastic head and QR plate.

Joachim

Hi,

both look quite up to the task. You might want to ask if the fluid head and quick release plate are metal too - some days ago sb. on this forum learned that a nice Velbon tripod came with a quite flimsy plastic head and QR plate.

Joachim

Thanks for the advice Jring!

I have the MHXPRO 2-WAY head. Just under $120 w/two extra QR plates. I turned the head around[tilt/pan arm on backwards] as to have the 90* vertical going up. I have 6lbs + of Celestron M2 100ED on top. With extra bottom bracket and case I'm sure it's pushing 7lbs.

It holds up admirably considering the length and weight. The bottom bracket that hooked up to the QR had no stabilising pin. However, it had holes that lined up w/holes on the QR fore n aft of the 1/4x20 bolt. I improvised from a couple of plastic dowels that were fine for shear strength, especially in tandem, even though you could bend them easy enough.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back