• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7x26 v. Swarovski 8x25 v. Zeiss Terra 8x25 v. Vortex Viper 8x28 (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

I am looking for a pair of bins for my wife to use - I usually give her the 8x32 Conquest HDs but they are a little big and clunky for her. We have a pair of B and L 7x26 (polycarbonate body) and really love them - they are sort of like mini full size top end porros in feel and sophistication - but I would potentially like to get a pair of waterproof roofs. Has anyone looked through all four of these? I've read the many posts on the Swaros and Terras, they both sound great, but not so much on the Vortex. How would they compare in sharpness? Would they beat out the BL/Bushnells? Also, I'm favorably inclined to the Vortex's due to the single hinge.

I am interested in people's experience, not opinions not based on experience...

Thanks to you both...

And I should clarify about the Vortex's - simply that there aren't many review out there about them. Guessing that the 28s give them a little edge on brightness and contrast...

oldfortyfive, any preferences between the three?

I had the Bushnell Elite 7x26, and although I liked them a lot I sold them for the same reasons you give. I've tried the CL several times, and they are not for me. Only tried the Terra once and thought it dreadful. I have tried the Vortex Viper, but sorry, I don't remember the details, which is probably not a good sign. I'd suggest the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 or either of it's slightly posher cousins, the Kite Lynx and Maven B3, though I haven't tried the latter myself. These are essentially the same design, the Nikon is made in China and the others by the same company, but in Japan. There are a number of reasons, but one of the more important is I find a 3.7mm EP much more user friendly than 3.1mm. The ER is a bit short for glasses though.

David

Last edited:
I have the current version of the Bushnell Custom 7x26 & recently compared it to both the Vortex 8x28 & the Viper version. Though I found the Viper sharper then the regular Vortex 8x28, the Bushnell 7x26 was just more pleasant to use & it just performed better in both brightness/sharpness & resolution . I also have the current version Opticron Classic 7x36 & the Bushnell 7x26 is just as bright/sharp when used in bright daytime but can not compete with Opticrons larger 36mm objective light gathering/resolution capabilities. Many have said the Opticron Classic 7x36 is a Bushnell 7x26 on steroids. I would highly recommend the Bushnell 7x26, if only it was waterproof.

Thanks to you both...

And I should clarify about the Vortex's - simply that there aren't many review out there about them. Guessing that the 28s give them a little edge on brightness and contrast...

oldfortyfive, any preferences between the three?

The swaros's are the best of the three, but there's not a big spread in performance between them. If you don't like folding binoculars the little vortex are hard to beat. I've had them the longest of the three. They stay in my truck.

Can only comment on the Custom Compact and the CL-P. The Swaro is sharper, the Bushnell is brighter. Both have nice focus wheels, both feel very solid in the hand. The Swaro has a bit more ER, but the Bushnell has just enough ER for my glasses-wearing wife to use. They are very different in handling, but the weights are very similar.

My wife is not so sure that the Swaro is the better buy, but she prefers the handling/feel of the Swaro much more than the Bushnell, and also prefers the slight increase in sharpness of the Swaro over the Bushnell.

I looked through a 25mm Terra for a few moments. Can't tell you much other than that initial impression was good - which I will not say about the other two sizes of Terras. I think they would be worth the time to track down and audition.

Many have said the Opticron Classic 7x36 is a Bushnell 7x26 on steroids. I would highly recommend the Bushnell 7x26, if only it was waterproof.

Perhaps not the way I might have expressed it, but my Bushnell Custom 7x26 was effectively replaced in my lineup by th Opticrom Classic 7x36, which I continue to find a delight to use. I didn't mention it earlier as it's about 22oz, compared to the 13.5oz Bushnell and the Nikon/Kite/Mavens at about 16oz, but it sill fits in the same size pocket as the Bushnell did.

David

I looked through a 25mm Terra for a few moments. Can't tell you much other than that initial impression was good - which I will not say about the other two sizes of Terras. I think they would be worth the time to track down and audition.

That's a consistent comment on the Terra line that I see here. Those Maven 8x30's are very nice. I got to spend some time with them a while back.

I have the 7x26 in the last of the B&L model. Good binocular.

I'd also recommend the Opticron Discovery WP in 8x32 be added to your list. It is as small as many 25-28 mm binoculars, and significantly smaller then the mentioned Maven B3. It is not a top tier performer, but I like it a lot. Tough little bugger as well. Mine lives in the summers in a saddle pouch on my 4-wheeler. My on the farm use glass.

I have the 7x26 in the last of the B&L model. Good binocular.

I'd also recommend the Opticron Discovery WP in 8x32 be added to your list. It is as small as many 25-28 mm binoculars, and significantly smaller then the mentioned Maven B3. It is not a top tier performer, but I like it a lot. Tough little bugger as well. Mine lives in the summers in a saddle pouch on my 4-wheeler. My on the farm use glass.
I agree about the Opticron Discovery WP 8x32 not being a top tier performer. I had one a while back and they are small and light especially for a 32mm. The thing about the Maven B.1 8x30 is it will outperform almost everything on your list and it will be more comfortable to use for your wife and the price at $500.00 is way lower than the Swarovski. It has nice big FOV also. Maven is a really good company to deal with also. Maven is like buying a binocular from your friend. They will take the time to personally explain things to you and they inspect everything that goes out. They are in a beautiful city Lander, Wyoming which is the gateway to Yellowstone National Park and it is "God's Country" up there let me tell you. The Maven B.1 8x30 scored really well on the recent Outdoor Life binocular test for mid-size binoculars. Here is their ranking chart , as well as, their comments on it.

Maven B.3 8x30
GREAT BUY: MID-SIZE BINO

Score: 84
Price: $500
Upshot: nimble binocular
Confession time: Since our optics test back in March, I’ve lived with this Maven binocular. It’s gone with me on hunting trips to New Zealand and Missouri, and it stays in my pickup to deploy for frequent impromptu glassing sessions.
The reason it’s become part of my kit is because it’s so handy. The oversize focus wheel and wide-set barrels fit a single hand perfectly, making it as easy to grab as a pint glass. The controls are tight and sharp, and the B.3 is sized right for dropping in a lumbar pack or an overnight bag.
If we had a ding on the Maven, it’s that the B.3’s optical performance wasn’t quite up to the standard that we’ve come to expect from the company that specializes in higher-end Japanese-built products. While the 30mm B.3 excelled in low-light brilliance, its resolution score was middling, and we noted some flaring and peripheral distortion.
Still, this is a whopping bargain on a handy gem of a binocular.

Attachments

• midsizebinotestresults.jpg
    midsizebinotestresults.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Something I'm not crazy about with the Maven or the Zeiss for that matter are the colored anodized portions...they are cheesy. I wish they'd just keep bins black, green maybe.

Something I'm not crazy about with the Maven or the Zeiss for that matter are the colored anodized portions...they are cheesy. I wish they'd just keep bins black, green maybe.
You can get the Maven's customized to ALL black if that is what you want for $25.00 extra. Even the stock one doesn't have much colored anodized portions on it.

http://app.mavenbuilt.com/?frame=B3...031&tripodcap=2920091&focuswheel_top=2920051T

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...avenbuilt.myshopify.com/coll...iant=946049915

Last edited:
Hello b-lilja. I have tried them all except for the terra. As you specifically asked about the Vortex, I will relate my experience with that model. A few years ago I was in a situation somewhat similar to yours. I had compacts and I had midsizeds, but I was wondering if there was something available in-between that would strike a good compromise between these two categories. First I tried the Pentax 9x28. I liked the build quality and the optics were generally nice for the price, but I felt that I wasn't getting the detail I expected at 9x. So next I tried the Vortex 8x32 Viper. I was surprised to find that despite difference in magnification and armor, these two seemed to be built with the same chassis. Nevertheless, the Viper did seem to provide a bit more pop despite the slightly lower magnification. What I didn't like about it was that it cost $320 yet didn't have as nice optics as some $200 8x32s like the Theron Wapiti or Vixen Foresta DCF. But it was more compact and that was the compromise. Anyhow, this was before various companies started introducing some nice compact 8x32s such as the Leupold Mojave HD, the Nikon M7, Zeiss Terra, Maven, Kite, etc. So, if I had to go through the same debate today, I likely would have ended up with something other than the Viper.

You say that you're looking for something more compact than your 8x32 Conquest HD, with the Bushnell 7x26 being a baseline for an acceptable size. So, how much smaller a binocular do you want? Would you need to go all the way to a compact? If so, the Swaro CL would come closest to the Conquest HD's optics. If not, and bearing in mind that the 8x32 Conquest HD is on the large size for an 8x32, would you be interested in a somewhat smaller/lighter 8x32? If so, you could consider any of the compact 8x32s mentioned above. I'd also recommend for your consideration the 8x32 Meostar, which is noticeably more compact than the Conquest HD yet still has very, very nice optics.

Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks Jerry. I still haven't tried them in full sun - it's been nothing but gloom for 4 days now but I have managed some good field-time in challenging conditions. After I get enough perspective, I'll post my thoughts here in a day or two.

Thanks Jerry. I still haven't tried them in full sun - it's been nothing but gloom for 4 days now but I have managed some good field-time in challenging conditions. After I get enough perspective, I'll post my thoughts here in a day or two.
I would be a little concerned about the comfort of the Terra's smallish focus wheels and controls and also about it's low light performance if that is important to you. It would be alright for limited use but the Maven B.1 8x30 would be way more comfortable to use and would really outperform the smallish Zeiss when it started getting dark. That is a big limitation of the compact binoculars when you start going below a 30mm aperture. Low light performance. If you just use them in daylight they are fine but when the sun starts going down they become useless. Notice the Maven's 8x30 performed as well in low light as the Leica Ultravid Plus 8x32. BIG difference.

Attachments

• midsizebinotestresults.jpg
    midsizebinotestresults.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back