• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro Winged EL Eyecups--Any Good? (1 Viewer)

I just got some 10x42 ELs and saw that Swaro offers some "winged" eyecups as accessories. I don't wear glasses so the extra protrusion is not a factor for me. Does anyone have experience with these? Are the "wings" long enough to block out all sidelight?

Any input appreciated!

Thanks

Guy Harrison

guyharrison said:
I just got some 10x42 ELs and saw that Swaro offers some "winged" eyecups as accessories. I don't wear glasses so the extra protrusion is not a factor for me. Does anyone have experience with these? Are the "wings" long enough to block out all sidelight?

Any input appreciated!

Thanks

Guy Harrison

I've seen and tried them on the SLC. I did like them, and they were nice and useful.

guyharrison said:

Any input appreciated!

Thanks

Guy Harrison

Hi Guy,

I use such eyecups on my 8x30 SLC Mk II (which came with them), and 10x42 SLC Mk III. The wings are not long enough to block out all sidelight, but much better than no wings at all. Incidentally, if you get these for your binocular I strongly recommend also buying Swarovski's silent rubber ocular guard to replace the hard plastic one. It works surprisingly well over the winged eyecups, as well as with the regular ones.

http://www.optics4birding.com/el-silent-rainguard-9287.html

Ed

Last edited:
I also use these eyecups on 8.5x 42 EL's and mostly agree with Ed's comments. I have two small complaints about them. On the EL's they leave a bright ring of uncoated glass exposed on the edge of the eyepiece lens which occasionally produces a reflection if bright light leaks in from the side. If the aperture of the eyecup at the eyepiece glass were about 1mm smaller this wouldn't happen at all. I also find the size of the eyecup to be a little smaller than I like where it contacts my face. It feels a bit too close to the eye. I use the Kahles rainguard (I believe Ed told me about it). It fits over the wings perfectly and also fits the standard eyecup. Perhaps the Swarovski rubber ocular guard Ed mentioned is the same thing.The standard Swarovski rainguard won't fit at all.

I just noticed the link to the Swarovski rainguard, which isn't the same as the Kahles rainguard that I use. I have one like the illustration, but it does not fit my winged eyecups. A problem I've found with that particular Swarovski rainguard is that the soft rubber strap attachment loop will eventually wear through from being abraided by the strap.

Last edited:
Hi Henry,

I guess there must be differences between the EL and SLC series. Although the winged eyecups don't cover the eyelens of my 10x42 SLCs, it is uniformly coated and doesn't cause any reflections, as far as I can tell. The shape of my face must also be different than yours, since I find the eyecups just about right — if anything, slightly too large.

I like the twist out eyecups of Swaros, but reluctantly gave in to winged eyecups to deal with sidelight. For me, the residual problem with the Kahles cover was that the straps didn't line up with the slots, but I could probably use them with one strap and avoid the problem. I might try that. I do find that the silent Swaro cover snugs onto the winged eyecups, and looks kinda cute, but abrasion could be a problem with enough use.

Best regards,
Ed

Last edited:
Ed,

The Kahles attachment loops are perfectly aligned with the strap attachment points on the EL, but I prefer to attach rainguards on only one side anyway. Happily, the Kahles guard seems to me to fit the EL winged eyecups just as if it were made for them.

Henry

Last edited:
henry link said:
Ed,

The Kahles attachment loops are perfectly aligned with the strap attachment points on the EL, but I prefer to attach rainguards on only one side anyway. Happily, the Kahles guard seems to me to fit the EL winged eyecups just as if it were made for them.

Henry

Henry,

I'm very happy to hear that since I was a bit sheepish after recommending them to you. That being the case, we can certainly agree on recommending them for use on ELs with winged eyecups. (Swarovski customer service will arrange for them to be shipped.)

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back