• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap Birding/photography Hide! (1 Viewer)

From an ethics standpoint I think I'd feel funny about buying from a hunting shop, even though they are most likely cheaper. Silly I know.
I totally agree but as much as i dislike anything to do with hunting i will still buy camo gear etc as it is ideal for field work.(some people are anti war but still buy army clothing?)
Ultimate Addons sell many more items apart from the hunting stuff and good on them! they certainly do have an interest in their customers as they emailed myself and asked what sort of features do we want in a photograhy hide so they could let their manufacturer know. Not many companies do that nowadays?
I live near Wigtown (Scotlands Book Town) and up until recently we had the misfortune of having Tideline Book shop who openly encouraged hunting/poaching/trapping etc which considering we do all we can to help wildlife up here was totally out of order? anyway we made sure people boycotted the shop and i'm glad to see its closed and good riddance to them! we still get weekend Rambo's shooting from their pick ups etc but the local police and rangers are doing all they can to put an end to it. One thing people should do if they see anyone shooting is to get a photo of them and their vehicle and let the police/rangers know we do it and have noticed the number of dead deer fall (they actually shoot them and leave them wounded or dead at the side of the road! very nice people?)
Jaff i'm glad to hear your anti hunting and the more people like yourself the better!
Cheers
Brian
Ps I'm all for drag hunting ie you get one of those idiots in the red tunic and hat and drag him behind my car! LoL I can just see the foxes cheering us on!

I understand a lot of what yous are saying about hunting, fishing, photography etc. The problem will always be that camouflage clothing and equipment etc appeal to more than one market. We are getting hides designed specifically for photography, i am a ameature photographer who has recently started paying attension to wildife, i thought these hides would be good for what i am doing and for other people.

Which one are you refering to?
The 'pop up' is shown as out of stock. The ones that are shown as 'in stock' don't say they are pop up.
Hi David,
I got the pop up one and your right it looks like they have sold out again! not suprised as they are a great piece of kit and worth every penny.
Cheers
Brian

I understand a lot of what yous are saying about hunting, fishing, photography etc. The problem will always be that camouflage clothing and equipment etc appeal to more than one market. We are getting hides designed specifically for photography, i am a ameature photographer who has recently started paying attension to wildife, i thought these hides would be good for what i am doing and for other people.
Good on ya Stevie! keep us posted when you get more deliveries etc.
Cheers
Brian
Ps I have spent many holidays touring Ullapool and highlands on my motorcycles over the years! seem to remember a great pub just around corner from the big campsite? great jukebox! ahh them were the days LoL

That would be the Arch Inn my local. ;) Im a biker to i tend to take my camera on the bike a lot, ZX10R at present.
That's the one! last time we were there around 20 Hells Angels arrived at the campsite all minus their helmets (no police up there)? we had a great time and even went on a run up coast with them. I had to retire from the bikes due to health problems but still miss them (i had 40+ over 25 years including Harleys/Goldwings/Trike + loads of sports bikes including drag bikes so you could say i like them)?
My favourite bike though was my BMW1150GS Adventure which was perfect for touring twisty highland roads.
Cheers
Brian
Ps it gets quite windy at the campsite!? but great place to visit and anyone thinking of visiting Scotland MUST go up the west coast road its paradise!

I bought my pop-up blind from Canadian Tire at the end of the hunting season. It was on sale for about $70. I takes seconds to put up, a bit longer to fold up and put back in its case. I've been pleased with it. Now I need a white one for winter.
I don't understand the reluctance to buy a product form whoever sells it. If it were not for the hunters needing camo, there would be little or none available to photographers. Hunters drive that market. I won't get into the hunting/non-hunting debate.
I would love to find some summer weight camo clothing. Anyone know of a good source?

I bought my pop-up blind from Canadian Tire at the end of the hunting season. It was on sale for about $70. I takes seconds to put up, a bit longer to fold up and put back in its case. I've been pleased with it. Now I need a white one for winter.
I don't understand the reluctance to buy a product form whoever sells it. If it were not for the hunters needing camo, there would be little or none available to photographers. Hunters drive that market. I won't get into the hunting/non-hunting debate.
I would love to find some summer weight camo clothing. Anyone know of a good source?
Hi,
Try www.jackpyke.co.uk or www.bushwear.co.uk for camo gear etc they will probably post to Canada
Cheers
Brian

Think you would be cheaper postage wise to look closer to home. Otherwise they are few brand out there, depends on what type of camouflage you are looking for.

Warm camo clothing is easy to find during hunting season, almost every dept. store has it but I've never seen anything for summer, obvious reason - no hunting in summer.

Ps it gets quite windy at the campsite!? but great place to visit and anyone thinking of visiting Scotland MUST go up the west coast road its paradise!

There are about 4 police in the village in one 4x4, im not originaly from Ullapool but my future wife is. Ullapool is a great place and you are right many bikers use it as a stop either heading north or south. Ullapool is a great place, great roads and great wildlife.

The campsite is windy as its right on the edge, the only main downfall of Ullapool is lack of Sun and attack of the killer midgy.

Warm camo clothing is easy to find during hunting season, almost every dept. store has it but I've never seen anything for summer, obvious reason - no hunting in summer.

Army/Navy Surplus stores carry a lot of such things in variety of patterns 2nd hand and brand new. IF you can't find one locally the www can sure come up with some mail-order sources.....

UH

Army/Navy Surplus stores carry a lot of such things in variety of patterns 2nd hand and brand new. IF you can't find one locally the www can sure come up with some mail-order sources.....

UH
Unfortunately the local surplus store closed down several years ago.

Really depends on what you want, im going to start using hides up here instead of camouflage clothing but that may change giong to have to see what works best for me as might do both hides/camo clothing.

I have one portable camo hide. It's effective but more from the reason that it hides me than from the camo, I think. I've also used my truck as a blind and it has worked very well. I also have a permanent wooden hide back at the river. It is only somewhat effective but that is error in location more than anything else. The problem for me is that i keep wanting blinds in different places and I'd like to leave them in place for several weeks at a time so that everything became used to them.
With camo clothing you become the blind and can move to where ever you need to be. Someone needs to design something like a camo jump suite with a integrated head net.
Any camo clothing available locally is Fall/Winter weight because that's hunting time. I would love the something for Spring/Summer. when the woods are full of birds and mosquitoes.

Hello Snowyowl,

I reckon that the normal camo clothing would be only a marginal improvement over regular green of dark outdoor/bugproof clothing.
Closest to a wearable hide is something known as Gilliesuit.
A search on Google or ebay will turn up some places willing to sell and ship one to you. Do-it-yourself may be another option once you see the basic idea behind those things.

Not sure what folks crossing your path will think about you.....
But hey, if you did a good job they shouldn't even know you are there ;)

BTW, I am not pulling your leg here.

uh

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back