• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recently purchased the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 (1 Viewer)

Swedpat

Leupold Yosemite 6x30

Last week I have had one week holiday and have been 4 days at a place north of the polar circle near the border to Finland. There I found a store which carries some models of Leupold binoculars. One of these was the Yosemite 6x30, which I long time, based of the good reviews, have been interested in.

I try them and becomes very impressed. Tack sharp and clear image. Very comfortable to hold. The small body and prism house makes me reminded of Adlerblick's 7x21/8x24/10x30 models with typichal (non reversed) porro design, at the -90:s.

I wait to next day, go back to the store and bring with me my Pentax 8x43 DCF SP for a comparison. I am thinking if this really can be true; the image quality seems to be rivalling to the 4 times more expensive roof 8x43, yes even sharper. The eye-relief is excellent, similar to the eye relief of the 8x43. This model is in three alternative colours: black, red and beige. The model they carries is the black, and the colour I prefer. I perform a careful control of the quality to avoid getting a ”lemon” and find them ok. I leave the store with the binocular in my own.

After some viewing and birdwatching by the river ”Torneälven” I realise that I have got a new favorite binocular. The stable and tacksharp image combined with the relatively wide TFOV of 8 deg and the great depth of field makes this model very nice to use. The holding is very comfortable with a rubber surface. Later at night I tried them at the sky. Sharp, and what I could see pinpoint stars.

One thing I have noticed is that low and moderate powered binoculars often use to be perceived to have a sharper image than high powered. I understand this is because the less noticable handshakings with lower power. When I was back home again I therefore mounted the 8x43 and placed the 6x30 above it to compare them at a tripod. I could after a careful comparison get a confirmation of the feeling when I compared them at the store: the Yosemite 6x30 is a tad sharper (on-axis) than the about 4 times more expensive Pentax 8x43 DCF SP.

They are claimed to be ”fully multi coated”. This can be true. When I shine with a lamp into the objective I cannot find any white reflexion, only green and some light purple. The prisms seems to be coated. The result is also according to my experience a clear and contrasty image.

The exit pupil seems to be visually round without any shadowings. When checking with a finger in front of the objective lens I can see it in the exit pupil instantly when passing in front of the lens edge. This means that the 30mm aperture is fully used without an aperture stop.
The ocular lens is 21mm. The twistup eyecups have no stops but the friction makes them possible to adjust to a desirable level without accidentaly moving.

I find the image to be very flat and visually free from as well pincushion and barrel distortion!

This binocular has some disadvantages like significant reflexes and light rays when looking at strong light sources, especially at a dark background. The image softening starts at approximately 70-80% of FOV. I don't experience these drawbacks as serious problems, however. Under the most circumstances I don't notice it. This is what one could expect of a binocular in this price range. And the Pentax 8x43 isn't either fully sharp to the edges. The close focus I find to be about 4 meters for me, which could be better. There is a quite big play in the focusing mechanism which disturbs me a bit, though I don't consider that as a serious obstacle for the usability.

Conclusion:

The Yosemite 6x30 have received good opinions in reviews, but they are actually better than I expected, and also better than I would demand for justifying a purchase of them!

After the first try in the store before I compared to the 8x43, I asked my self if I really could justify a purchase of these binoculars. Would I really make use of them when I already have the Pentax 8x43? My present question is: will I continue to use the 8x43 when I have these nice 6x30:s?

Strongly recommended!

I have gotten the impression that the 8x30s were not quite so spectacular. I have only seen these once.

Actually I have to confess that my estimate of the exit pupil wasn't really correct. When checking if an object is visible through the exit pupil it's important to look straight from the front of the eyepiece, and avoid to see sligthly by the side. It's quite difficult to make an exact measurement with a mm ruler on the exit pupil, but when I try it seems that the exit pupil isn't fully 5mm. I also tried with a transparent mm ruler in front of the objective and can then see 26-27mm through the exit pupil. This means that the exit pupil of the Yosemite 6x30 is actually closer to 4,5mm than 5mm.

This does not disturb me anyway. The image is bright and clear at dawn and dusk and the Yosemite is usable nighttime as well as daytime. It will not change my overall impression of the instrument.

Regards, Patric

Actually I have to confess that my estimate of the exit pupil wasn't really correct. When checking if an object is visible through the exit pupil it's important to look straight from the front of the eyepiece, and avoid to see sligthly by the side. It's quite difficult to make an exact measurement with a mm ruler on the exit pupil, but when I try it seems that the exit pupil isn't fully 5mm. I also tried with a transparent mm ruler in front of the objective and can then see 26-27mm through the exit pupil. This means that the exit pupil of the Yosemite 6x30 is actually closer to 4,5mm than 5mm.

This does not disturb me anyway. The image is bright and clear at dawn and dusk and the Yosemite is usable nighttime as well as daytime. It will not change my overall impression of the instrument.

Regards, Patric

I think it is great to see a company with the reputation of Leupold offering the 6x30 size again. Swarovski was by my recollection the last company to drop that size in the early 1990's.

Roadbike,

I would like to tell you that if Swarovski ever would produce a SLC 6x30 model with the size of the present 8x30, eye relief and apparant field of view as the 7x42, I would sell my furnitures to get it! It would be the ultimate allround binocular!

But yes, the Leupold Katmai 6x32 is also very close...

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Roadbike,

I would like to tell you that if Swarovski ever would produce a SLC 6x30 model with the size of the present 8x30, eye relief and apparant field of view as the 7x42, I would sell my furnitures to get it! It would be the ultimate allround binocular!

But yes, the Leupold Katmai 6x32 is also very close...

Regards, Patric

Actually I would go for a 7x42 with the apparent fov of the 8x30 Habicht - 60 degrees! I had the good fortune to pick up a Swarovski Habicht 6x30 new about 2 years ago and do enjoy it.

I have gotten the impression that the 8x30s were not quite so spectacular. I have only seen these once.

There is an earlier thread about these binoculars, and there I noted that the sample variation is quite noticeable. Thus, while they are all nice (judging from the 8 or so I handled), the feeling of exceptional value for what one has paid comes up only for some of them.

There is an earlier thread about these binoculars, and there I noted that the sample variation is quite noticeable. Thus, while they are all nice (judging from the 8 or so I handled), the feeling of exceptional value for what one has paid comes up only for some of them.

I just received my 6x30's and am very pleased with these little bins. The view is bright, sharp, virtually aberration free. They feel great in the hand and they work excellent with my glasses. It is a great little glass for the money.

There is a negative aspect and it is the focus wheel. It "stutters" at the far end.....almost as if you have to roll it over a little hump and it sounds "crunchy". This may be a dealbreaker because sample variation does play a role here and I don't want to ship bins back and forth till I find a good pair.

Has anyone had trouble with the focusser? Did the problem resolve itself with use and if not, what are my chances of getting a good sample if I return this pair? If anyone has had a similar experience I would much appreciate any input. Thanks, Paula

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my Yosemite, also a 6x30, has a focus that I find almost perfect. I have seen a couple of funny focus wheel comments about the Yosemite. I'd be strongly tempted to fill out the warranty card and send it to Leupold, or at least call their tech support. Leupold is first rate in customer service and that might be the best way to get a good one. You might also inquire if the dealer would be willing to look the one they would be replacing over for you before they send it. Eagle Optics, for instance, did that for me once when I lived out in the middle of nowhere. I'm going to get an 8x30 and hope I like that one as well as the 6x.

Steve

Last edited:
I just this week received my 6x30 Yosemites, just like SwedePat, I am beyond impressed how good this $90.00 binocular is. They are my new favorite bin, my Ultravids are off at leica so I don't have them to compare, but they are head and shoulders better than my old Pentax DCFs.

I did have a wierd focus wheel and was prepared to just live with it in a $90.00 bin with great optics, but it worked itself out and is now quite smooth. I think it might have something to do with the seals that keep this bin waterproof. It was a hard spot in the middle of the focus, but like I said that is now gone. If I had looked at these first I might have gone a different route from my 8x42 Ultravids, but now I have all bases covered with 6x30, 8x42 Leica and 10x42 SEs.

Nice to hear your comments about the Yosemite. When I tried it the first time I instantly realised that it's a very high class binocular. But when I got the Swarovski SLCnew 7x42 I understood how great this little glass actually is. I find the Yosemite 6x30 to be optically in par to the SLCnew 7x42 except from brightness, inner reflections and edge sharpness. Probably the best ever produced binocular in it's price range.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Just a quick question about the Yosemite 6x30. Can anyone tell me whether they have a tripod mouting bush/adaptor?

Thanks!
Gary

There is no threaded tripod adapter on the Leupold Yosemite. You would need a strap type adapter as used for the Nikon SE. The new Yosemite-like Vortex Raptor is listed as having a threaded tripod adapter.

EO competitor coming soon?

I just ordered a pair of these for my spouse who has struggled w/ a narrow pupilary distance. When I talked to the fine folks at Eagle Optics, he noted (after praising these bins as quite nice and very popular) that Eagle Optics would be putting out a pair of very similar bins under the name of Raven. I checked the specs published on EOs website and they do seem to be similar. Possible more surfaces will be coated and they have BAK4 prisms which were not noted on the Leupolds. Sounds like they will be availabe in July sometime at a bit higher price (currently listed as $129). I hemmed for a few minutes, but thought that it would be nice to have the Leupolds in hand when we go visit family next weekend. Perhaps the EO version will be the pair that rides in the car....

Does anyone have any inside (or outside) info on the new Ravens?

The Raven appears to be identical to the Vortex Raptor. Since EO and Vortex are business family, that makes some sense. They are not available yet. Vortex told me that they will be better than the Yosemite, because that was their design goal. But what else would they be expected to say? So until we actually see them, who knows?

The Leupold Yosemites certainly use Bak4 prisms (you'd see it in the exit pupil if they didn't). And I believe they're FMC too (at least inspection with a flashlight seems to indicate this).

The EO Raven and Vortex Raptor appear to be identical (except for enclosure color).

The Ravens and Raptors have not yet shipped. There are a couple of threads here talking about them.

I find the comments about bettering the Yosemites interesting. Are we just talking about better resolution because of the slightly higher magnification or are we talking about a brighter image with a larger sweet spot?

I find the comments about bettering the Yosemites interesting. Are we just talking about better resolution because of the slightly higher magnification or are we talking about a brighter image with a larger sweet spot?

Or a phone sales person talking up a product they haven't seen yet ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back