• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippines: Mindanao, Cebu, Bohul, Luzon and Palawan (1 Viewer)

Spotted Wood-Kingfisher

The male!
One of the highlights of the whole trip, was worth getting on the plane for.... along with a few others goodies of course. This nearly eluded us although we would have given up the next day to try again if we had to.

A premium quality bird, even if my image doesn't quite do the fella justice.

This bird was seen after about an hours walk up from the entrance gates at Mt Makiling, Luzon.

Attachments

• Spotted-Wood-Kingfisher.jpg
    Spotted-Wood-Kingfisher.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Rufous Crowned Bee-eater

Merops americanus.

Looking handsome as most Bee-Eaters do.

This bird was in a small flock Nr Subic Bay, Luzon

Attachments

• Red-caped-Bee-eater2.jpg
    Red-caped-Bee-eater2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 28
Giant Scops Owl

Mindanao, Mt Kitanglad.

On our second night at the lodge, Carleto took us a few hundred meters down the mountain to where this Bird was calling.

Carleto is a master at mimicking both the Giants Scops Owl and a mouse ;) resulting in this wonderful bird perched 10mtrs in front of us. Will certainly live long in the memory.

Attachments

• Giant-Scops-Owl.jpg
    Giant-Scops-Owl.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 33
Palawan Frogmouth

Batrachostomus chaseni

Great views of this Javan Frogmouth split. Not sure of the exact location but somewhere near the Lions Cave trail, Palawan. Seen on the second last day of the trip so another nice bird to get onto just in the nick of time.

Attachments

• Palawan-Frogmouth.jpg
    Palawan-Frogmouth.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 34
Colasisi

Loriculis philippensis

Fairly common in a few locations especially Mindanao, Mt Kitanglad where the image of this fella was taken.

Attachments

• Colasisi.jpg
    Colasisi.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 28
Rufous Lored Kingfisher

Seen at the very last moments before leaving Bohol... female and male

Attachments

• Rufous-Lored-Kingfisher---f.jpg
    Rufous-Lored-Kingfisher---f.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Rufous-Lored-Kingfisher---m.jpg
    Rufous-Lored-Kingfisher---m.jpg
    882.6 KB · Views: 16
Well done!

Congratulations on a spectacularly successful birding adventure documented via a splendid set of trip notes and photographs.

Thank you for sharing this.

Really enjoyed reading through your Trip Report (and your photos) .... after this one (and David's) I will now have to add Philippines to the Bucket-List !

Cheers
Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks folks. I am still writing my trip reports in more detail that will be posted on my blog.... I will add links on here as and when they are done. In the mean time I think I will keep adding new images as I process them, as long as people don't start getting bored...

Mountain Verditar Flycatcher

A pair were seen everyday around the Lodge at Mt Kitanglad

Attachments

• Mountain-Verditer-Flycatcher.jpg
    Mountain-Verditer-Flycatcher.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 17
Just going through some more images.

Luzon Hornbill - Penelopides manillae, second image maybe Immature bird or even female.

Subic Bay Freeport area.

Attachments

• Luzon-Hornbill.jpg
    Luzon-Hornbill.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Luzon-Hornbill-Imm-or-female.jpg
    Luzon-Hornbill-Imm-or-female.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
That Luzon Hornbill must be placed at the last among the Hornbills for its looks but still a winner among the Luzon only birds.
A great trip report!

ID Question

Query without an Image to back it up I am afraid.

Didn't think about this until I got home and looked more closely at the range.

Stood in Los Banos University Campus overlooking a bridge about 1km from the entrance to Mt Makiling when I saw (Twice, and good views) of a Sunbird that I immediately called Crimson. I am still convinced that this is what I saw in good light.

Now looking at ranges in the Philippine Bird guide neither Crimson or Magnificent should be there?

My question is, has the range changed since this publication or were one or the other always possible birds in this location or am I going mad?..... no need to answer the last question in too much detail

Many Thanks
Dave

Sunbird ID

Stood in Los Banos University Campus overlooking a bridge about 1km from the entrance to Mt Makiling when I saw (Twice, and good views) of a Sunbird that I immediately called Crimson. I am still convinced that this is what I saw in good light.

Now looking at ranges in the Philippine Bird guide neither Crimson or Magnificent should be there?

My question is, has the range changed since this publication or were one or the other always possible birds in this location or am I going mad?..... no need to answer the last question in too much detail

Many Thanks
Dave

On list of possible Sunbirds/Spiderhunters for Los Banos/ Makiling we were told we saw all possible by Jops except Naked-faced Spiderhunter, Crimson wasn't on the possible list, so unless a vagrant it is not expected there.
Only possible confusing species with Magnificent / Crimson in my view would be Handsome (Aethopyga Bella)which showed much more red than on the plate (note - Lovely only shown) and also has a yellow rump and blue tail. If seen through bins in a fleeting view without underparts viewed and nothing to compare with you could miss the smaller size. We saw a number of them here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back