• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Side, Turkey 6-13th April. A "Non-Birding" Trip Report (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

Non-birding in as much as the trip was specifically for the other half as payment for a birding trip I've got planned later this year. Of course, this didn't preclude early morning sessions and having the bins slung round the neck the rest of the time.
Hopefully this report will be of use to birders who also have family commitments on holiday and are therefore limited in time and transport (birding reports like this are hard to find).
And so on to the birds. Side sits on a little headland jutting out into the Med. with ruins and scrub behind it and birds, it seems, absolutely love it.
As always, I always try to guess what my first bird of the holiday will be and as usual it was a House Sparrow from the hotel balcony. Second bird however was a lifer in the form of a White-spectacled Bulbul, a pair in fact (they were always in pairs).
A mid-morning stroll through the dunes and ruins gave me 5 more lifers in the form of Black-eared Wheatears, Eastern Orphean Warblers, Masked Shrikes, a stonking male Ruppell's Warbler and last but certainly not least, since I've been waiting 32 years since I first heard one, a Quail.
There were birds everywhere, Woodchats and Masked Shrikes seemingly on every bush, warblers flitting all over the place, Buntings (Ortolan or Cretzschmars, I wasn't certain at the time? Both, as it turned out, Cretzsch being another lifer). An adult male Barred Warbler was a real treat.
I hoped the second morning would live up to the first and in terms of sheer numbers of birds it surpassed it. There'd obviously been a fall of Lesser Whitethroats (I'd seen one the day before) and they were absolutely everywhere, one small tree seemed to have a dozen for the rest of the week. Sprinkled amongst them were Olivaceous Warblers, more "barred" warblers, more Ruppell's, more Orpheans, a couple of Sardinians......you get the picture.
And so it went on, different days had different falls, Lesser whitethroats, Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Whinchats. One day I was tripping over Wrynecks! Also the odd Pied Wheatear, Semicollared and Collared Flycatchers put a bit of extra icing on top, if any were needed.
Non-bird stuff included Tortoises, Tongue Orchids, Violet Limodore, loads of lizards, a couple of snakes (no idea what sp.) and Eastern Festoon among the few butterflies.
Not a bad little break although I think 'er indoors may choose her own holiday next year.;)

Phil

Last edited:
I had an eight day birding trip to Turkey in 2012. With the trip virtually over and whilst we killed a bit of time waiting to go back to the airport at Antalya after seeing the Brown Fish Owl, we spent three hours around the ruins at Side.

And i have to agree with everything Phil says; it's an absolutely awesome spot and we had arguably the best three hours of the whole trip here. We saw most of the things Phil mentions with the addition of Black-headed Bunting, Olive-tree Warbler, Red-throated Pipit, Rufous Bush Chat and Levant Sparrowhawk. It was dripping with birds, the only downside being that i lost my Oakley's here, so if anyone's found a pair, they're mine!

In summary, if the requirement is to please 'her indoors' with a pleasant, sunny, beach holiday with decent but inexpensive food and lodgings and, ahem, 'no birding' ;), i agree wholeheartedly with Phil that you couldn't do much better than this place.

Graeme

Last edited:
Thanks for your report.Always useful when looking for an easy bird watching / relaxing holiday destination.
A great hotel with birdwatching on the doorstep is the Ottoman Residence in Akyaka.
Its 30 miles from Marmaris yet might as well be 3000 miles;its another world.
It has been a few years since we have been there so things might be different.
Certainly when we were there the customer service,hotel grounds and surroundings were second to none.
If you Google it you will see the hotel gardens lead directly to a massive reed bed which put Leighton Moss in the shade.
Behind the hotel is a mountain range which was always swirling with raptors.
Akyaka is at the head of the unspoilt Gulf of Gokova with extensive woodlands either side.
The other Turkey destination which may be of interest is Alanya.
We called in there on a cruise one April morning.
Right next to the pier is a massive headland which has somehow been saved fro the developers.
A marvellous habitat for birds.
If you stay in the main part of Alanya to the east of the headland the area is easily walkable from there.

I had an eight day birding trip to Turkey in 2012. With the trip virtually over and whilst we killed a bit of time waiting to go back to the airport at Antalya after seeing the Brown Fish Owl, we spent three hours around the ruins at Side.

And i have to agree with everything Phil says; it's an absolutely awesome spot and we had arguably the best three hours of the whole trip here. We saw most of the things Phil mentions with the addition of Black-headed Bunting, Olive-tree Warbler, Red-throated Pipit, Rufous Bush Chat and Levant Sparrowhawk. It was dripping with birds, the only downside being that i lost my Oakley's here, so if anyone's found a pair, they're mine!

In summary, if the requirement is to please 'her indoors' with a pleasant, sunny, beach holiday with decent but inexpensive food and lodgings and, ahem, 'no birding' ;), i agree wholeheartedly with Phil that you couldn't do much better than this place.

Graeme

What time of year were you there Graeme? I'm seriously considering going back next year for a proper birding break and was thinking early May might be a better bet to ensure birds such as White-throated Robin will back on territories.
I had hoped for a chance of Brown Fish Owl on the tourist boats but they don't start running for another couple of weeks.
Phil

Thanks for your report.Always useful when looking for an easy bird watching / relaxing holiday destination.
A great hotel with birdwatching on the doorstep is the Ottoman Residence in Akyaka.

While on the subject of hotels, I feel I must give a mention to Conny's Hotel which was absolutely superb. I've never been anywhere with such welcoming and friendly owners and staff.

Phil

I was there between the 3rd and 11th May and White-throated Robin were present in various spots in reasonable numbers (although bear in mind we covered 2000 miles on our travels and I didn't see one at Side). We didn't go for the owl on the tourist boat but used 'vigotours'. The excursion was excellent and, if you do a search on here, I seem to remember a whole thread about it.

I was there between the 3rd and 11th May and White-throated Robin were present in various spots in reasonable numbers (although bear in mind we covered 2000 miles on our travels and I didn't see one at Side). We didn't go for the owl on the tourist boat but used 'vigotours'. The excursion was excellent and, if you do a search on here, I seem to remember a whole thread about it.

Yeah, did look at Vigotours but couldn't quite justify the expense and the 4am start on a non-birding holidayo:D

Phil

Going to Side from May 3rd for 2 weeks, loads of birding to do, BFO booked, staying at the 'Sunlight gardens', so will give updates from there if i can get wifi??

....Me and Paul Cashmore successfully connected with the über Brown fish owl, the accompanying array of birds we have have had so far really do pale by comparison...

There is plenty of birds, but the birding is difficullt in that shrubby terrain, if some one had honestly told me Side was like Benidorm or Magaluf, i wouldn't of bothered, but the birding superb, loads of gteat photos oF Brown Fish Owl, Finschs wheatear and White-throated robin....

I don't do huge trip reports, but this place just blew me away, Breathtaking beauty, and the only noise on the plateau, the continuous and loud hum of millions of bees

The road out of Akseki was fabulous loads of Rüppell's and the charismatic Olive-tree warblers, lots of Raptors over the high peaks, as we climbed higher towards cimikoy .....Well we did Cimkoy, just out of Akseki (3 times), along the quite breathtaking track for 14k found the plateau eventually, On the high Alpine meadows, dripped with birds, we saw up along the road to it..Cretzchmars,loads of Ortolans, RF Serin, Serin, Crinson-winged finch, Northern, Black-eared, Finschs Wheatears, Corn Bunting, Wood lark, tawny Pipit, Long legged Buzzard, ST Eagle, Bonellis Eagle, climbing further towards the vast plateau, Alpine Chough, Alpine swift, Golden Eagle, (by first water treatment place), Climbing higher,Shore lark (penicillata), Black Redstart, Stonechat, Isabellines Wheatear, Rose coloured Starling, (in cemetary just before entering the vast plateau), and of course White-throated Robin, the probable target bird, because we had hit the target birds, then finally after 5hrs, we got a stonking male..... Phewww,..

Last edited:
I don't do huge trip reports, but this place just blew me away, Breathtaking beauty, and the only noise on the plateau, the continuous and loud hum of millions of bees

The road out of Akseki was fabulous loads of Rüppell's and the charismatic Olive-tree warblers, lots of Raptors over the high peaks, as we climbed higher towards cimikoy .....Well we did Cimkoy, just out of Akseki (3 times), along the quite breathtaking track for 14k found the plateau eventually, On the high Alpine meadows, dripped with birds, we saw up along the road to it..Cretzchmars,loads of Ortolans, RF Serin, Serin, Crinson-winged finch, Northern, Black-eared, Finschs Wheatears, Corn Bunting, Wood lark, tawny Pipit, Long legged Buzzard, ST Eagle, Bonellis Eagle, climbing further towards the vast plateau, Alpine Chough, Alpine swift, Golden Eagle, (by first water treatment place), Climbing higher,Shore lark (penicillata), Black Redstart, Stonechat, Isabellines Wheatear, Rose coloured Starling, (in cemetary just before entering the vast plateau), and of course White-throated Robin, the probable target bird, because we had hit the target birds, then finally after 5hrs, we got a stonking male..... Phewww,..

Flippin eck youve done well. Great haul !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back