• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelling to Eilat (1 Viewer)

Hwix

I'm hoping to visit Eilat in March 2011. Unfortunately none of the regular birding company tours suit my holiday dates. So, i'm hoping to do it independently.

My questions are:-
1. Hoping to fly direct to Eilat from London (any airport) or Manchester. Is this possible?
2. Any reccomendations for accomodation? Either Hotel/Apartment etc
3. Any recommendations for Car Hire?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as the trip takes shape. I have been trying to find out this info; but not having much luck! Plenty of flights to Tel Aviv but its a fairly lengthy drive (350 Km approx) to Eilat.
I would consider a package holiday but the brochures are not out yet. I've got lots of biriding info sorted, but more would be welcome?

I'm hoping to visit Eilat in March 2011. Unfortunately none of the regular birding company tours suit my holiday dates. So, i'm hoping to do it independently.

My questions are:-
1. Hoping to fly direct to Eilat from London (any airport) or Manchester. Is this possible?
2. Any reccomendations for accomodation? Either Hotel/Apartment etc
3. Any recommendations for Car Hire?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as the trip takes shape. I have been trying to find out this info; but not having much luck! Plenty of flights to Tel Aviv but its a fairly lengthy drive (350 Km approx) to Eilat.
I would consider a package holiday but the brochures are not out yet. I've got lots of biriding info sorted, but more would be welcome?

Hi there,

I hope you have lots of savings because it's going to be expensive. The drive from Tel Aviv is a none starter for me. The last thing you want after the flight is the long drive down to Eilat in darkness but in daylight it is a pleasant drive and lots to see.

Voyana holidays are very good and the staff there are very helpful. There are direct flights fron Luton and Stansted to Ovda which is a military base in the desert. The transfer takes about 45 minutes into Eilat. If you do it alone the taxi fare is about £25 one way but it could be more, it all depends on the mood of the driver, and don't forget you have another £25+ for the return trip, unlesss you can get a free lift with someone.

The Agamin Hotel has good reports on TRIP ADSVISOR and this is where the annual birdwatching festival participants stay.

Eldan Car Hire are very good but make sure you book it here in the UK and go for the cheapest car available. Make sure it has air con (it will have most probably) and you MUST always have fully comp insurance. Car hire with Eldan is fairly reasonable and the staff in Eilat were very pleasant. The bigger companies like Avis are much more expensive.

Doing it yourself is hardly worth the hassle and in the long run you won't save much at all.

Bill Oddie once described Eilat as being like Port Talbot, and it is, but once you escape the concrete there are some lovely places to visit. Don't neglect the local parks and the drive into the mountains takes minutes from the centre. Here in spring you will see masses of raptors crossing given a favourable wind (north). Lots more advice available but be aware this trip is not going to be cheap.

John.

Last edited:
Hwix,
I travelled there independently with a pal during March this year and with the car hire, you save little from travelling at festival prices but gain significantly in the flexibility it provides you. A car of four would obviously cost in much better.

We flew from Luton to Tel Aviv with easyjet (about £300 return), then drove (we used Hertz - £240 for a week in an auto 1600 Mazda) to En Gedi and Neot Hakkikar on the Dead Sea connecting with some good birds during the night. Then drove on south to Eilat stopping at every opportunity on the way down.

Travelling back we flew Israir from Eilat to Tel Aviv and easyjet home. We stayed at the Agamin (£255 each for 7 nights) to be amongst the festival goers. Cheaper accomodation is available in Eilat - the Spring Hostel near the bus station is used by some and I understand is considerably cheaper than the Agamin.

Robin

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.
I'm basing my budget on what it would cost us to do a similar trip with a birding holiday company. So, I'm not particularly expecting to do it on the cheap. Hoping really to get a trip organised that gives us a birding/holiday balance.
I'll check out the links that were posted. And take it from there.
Thanks,
Howard

I assume you've checked out the dates for the March bird festival in Eilat? I went with Wildwings, because the flight plus hotel and transfer was cheaper than I could put together independently, and I seem to recall no scheduled flights available to Ovda, just charters, certainly from London airports, at the time. It's not a tour as such, so it's up to you whether you go on organised trips, take the (check, but I'm pretty sure) free transfers between local sites, or hire a car/share/scrounge lifts from other festival-goers!

Just checked out Wildwings. Their package for this years festival is amazing!I think this could be exactly what we're looking for. Cheers Mark.

Howard

Hwix,

I travelled last year (March 2009)with Wildwings and wasn't dissappointed. The short, more-local tours are covered in the cost of the festival but the longer trips for target species such as Bustard, Hume's Owl, Nightjars (Egyptian & Nubian) covering Dead Sea and Nizzana cost about £40 each from memory.

The only downside is that if a good bird turns up somewhere you're not heading then you can miss out but I guess you can't really avoid this.

Another advantage of travelling in a group with Wildwings is that security are more likely to be kind to you - unlike the experiance of travelling to Israel independantly. My passport was out of sight for about 40minutes during my interrogation prior to flying out of Eilat !!

Robin

Forget about security being kind - our flight out was delayed by almost three hours due to security checks, with one of the group (who happened to have long dreadlocks etc) being quizzed for an hour, during which time no-one else was processed! This single event basically scuppered any chance of a return visit with the wife, who refuses to go through the ordeal again for love nor money.

(still, well worth it for the birding ;) )

I agree with MSA that security is/can be a pain but that's the world we now live in.

Wildwings sent me a price for a one week trip complete with the dreaded single supplement. The price was too much for a one week holiday, and don't forget, that holiday is really only 6 days by the time you arrive. It will be cheaper if you are willing to share a room with someone who snores and farts all night, but I've spent too many nights at Spurn listening to these guys to know better. I'd rather pay the single supplement than wake up even more knackered than when I went to bed. Happy days :t:

John.

First of all, there aren't always direct international flights to Eilat, but if you are alreay in Eilat, so now you have a few options for spending time in Israel;
1. Eilat car rental - in Eilat there is no tax, so you can hire a car cheaper there and travel around the south of Israel.
2. Eilat hotels - If your are planning to vist in march, its off season in israel, check out Dan hotels, they have great rates during off season.

Quite simple I would say see what package holidays there are, that will fix you with good accommodation, flight and they go itno Ovda plus transfer. Fix up your car hire on the web to pick up day after you arrive and you are away. Look up the trip reports for ideas where to go. My wife and I did this ourselves in '98. Okay a good few years ago but honestly it is easy for a DIY.

Hi Don't know if you have booked already but I have just my car hire to sort. I booked independantly using southall travel to get my El Al flight which will fly me to Eilat but out of Ovda airport both via tel -viv £450 return from London Need a shuttle to London as i am in Liverpool My hotel is the Dalia right by the Oifa Park close to North Beech too two sharing one room cost me £400 for two weeks. I booked direct with the hotel. Then I am in to Kibbutz Lotan for 4 nights 17 night in all 24th March-10 April
Hope this helps
John

Personally I'd recomend the Beit Arava Hostel as it's a friendly place & not too expensive & hire a car. Last time I went we hired a car for 2 weeks which cost about £360 & we had the freedom to travel the country at our own pace. Although Eilat is not a very big place to get to all the best birding sites transport is needed.
As far as leaving Israel I have found that if you're a couple then you'll have an easier time & to be honest all the questioning & security makes me feel alot safer.
Aviod going at Easter, pass over, as Eilat is extremely busy & accomodation more expensive.
If you go the week before our clocks go forward remember that the clocks go forward in Israel on Thursday not Sunday.
I hope you have a good time & see loads of good birds, I'm sure you will.

Cheers, Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back