• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Blue Chaffinch on Gran Canaria (1 Viewer)

tmurray

Ireland
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on seeing/finding Blue Chaffinch on Gran Canaria?
There seems to be little available info on them. I appreciate they are far far easier on Tenerife, but we are going to Gran Canaria, and while its not a birding trip I wouild to try see some birds too..

Thanks,

Tony

I've only seen Blue Chaffinch on Tenerife.

But Clarke & Collins 1996 (A Birdwatchers' Guide to the Canary Islands) states that the only reliable site on Gran Canaria is the Pajonales NR, near Tejeda:

"Best visited in spring (April, May or possibly June), when Blue Chaffinch is most likely to be in song. It is found mainly in areas of mature Canary Island Pine with an understory of the white-flowered shrub Chamaecytisus proliferus, locally known as Escobon.
If it is singing, Blue Chaffinch can be located relatively easily, since the song is very like the song of the Chaffinch, the endemic race of which does not seem to occur in this forest. Early mornings or evenings are likely to be the best times to hear it. Even in this forest, Blue Chaffinch appears to be at low density, and the bird is somewhat retiring, so it is difficult to locate when not singing. Concentrate on the areas with a good understory, such as the area up to the left, just beyond the ICONA forest house."​

Clarke & Collins also mention Pinar de Tamadaba, near Artenara, but state that although Blue Chaffinch occurs in the forest, it appears to be very scarce and not at all easy to locate.

[I can give the directions to both sites, if that would help.]

Richard

PS: Just noticed this, from Clarke 2006 (Birds of the Atlantic Islands):
"...the Blue Chaffinch is now on the verge of extinction [on Gran Canaria] and special permission is needed to enter the area where it still occurs. To do this, contact Francisco del Campo by telephone ([00 34] 637-724319) or e-mail ([email protected]); he can arrange the necessary permits."​

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply Richard,
Directions would be great if not too much hassles!
Seems like a needle in a haystack - perhaps.....
Thanks for the details on Francisco del Campo too.
Thanks again,

Tony

I'd be most surprised if any pictures would have been taken on Gran Canaria...
As this taxon is apparently quite different from the Tenerife population, it must be Europe's most neglected endangered bird.

I'd be most surprised if any pictures would have been taken on Gran Canaria...
As this taxon is apparently quite different from the Tenerife population, it must be Europe's most neglected endangered bird.

Neglected in what sense? If they are restricting access that sounds more promising than some other cases. Or do you mean neglected by birders.

Stephen.

Directions

Directions would be great if not too much hassles!
Pajonales:

Approaching from the tourist resorts in the south, drive to San Bartolomé and take the C815 to Ayacata. Proceed towards Tejeda on the C811, and after about 3km turn left towards El Juncal and El Toscón, then go left again to El Juncal. Drive into the village, continue down to the left and across the valley. The road is then gravel, but it is possible to drive to the entrance of the Pajonales Reserve, which is marked by a sign at the ICONA forest house.
Pinar de Tamadaba:

Tamadaba forest is reached via the mountain town of Artenara, which is to the northwest of the central massif. From Artenara, follow the signs to the Tamadaba forest, and follow the one way loop road to the car park at the far end. There is a small area of pine forest here where it is relatively easy to birdwatch, and there is also a track leading from the car park down into an area of pine plantation. However, if time permits, the best option is probably to walk round the one way loop (about 5km) checking the forest on either side. Alternatively, just walk part of the way and return to the car.​

But remember that those directions date from 1996...

Good luck, and be sure to see Gran Canaria Blue Tit Cyanistes [teneriffae] hedwigii, Gran Canaria Robin Erithacus ([rubecula] superbus) 'marionae' and Gran Canaria Chaffinch Fringilla (coelebs) 'ssp. nov.' as well!

Richard

I remember having a lovely walk around Pajonales in 2003, no sign of the finch at all unfortunately, but turtle doves everywhere and a good few canaries. I fear that it may be too little too late to save this distinctive subspecies. Good luck!

Neglected in what sense? If they are restricting access that sounds more promising than some other cases. Or do you mean neglected by birders.

Stephen.
I meant neglected by birders (Gran Canaria as a whole is!)
I had missed Richard's edit, as I had read the thread before. That the bird's plight is being taken seriously is good news; I hope it's not too late.

Last edited:
THanks Richard for the info and others for their contributions, seems unlikely I will see one - if I do I will let you know!

Tried the Pajonales area (from El Juncal) - an interesting drive......
No joy, interesting forest, but little understorey and seems to have been burned in the past (recent?) THis may be natural as trees surviving but little ubderstorey as I say.
Also tried similar(ish) looking habitats on the drive.
Plenty of CI Chiffchaffs/GC Blue Tits/Sardinian Warblers/Gt Sp Woodpecker, etc but no Chaffinches (Blue or otherwise........).
Also did not see Robin on GC, not sure where/what their preffered habitat on GC is, certainly not abundant from my point of view....
Thanks for all pointers....

Thanks Richard (hadnt seen that posting there, thanks to bluechaffinch for that posting).
Seems they are in trouble alright....
As I mentioned the understory was pretty scant alright, and fires seemed frequent in the past (some trees seemed recently burned, some less so).
But it was good to have had a bash at them and to see their haunts.
Had a small enough trip list but was by no stretch a birding trip. But a few lifers and a few nice bits and pieces.
Wetland near Maspalomas was nice looking and interesting array of species, about ten sp of wader and Ruddy Shelduck and few herons, among others, am sure lots of various interesting migrants pop in and out here.

Tony.

Might have missed Robin if that shy Stephen, but spent a while trying to catch views of Sardinian Warblers in various habitats so might have expected to see Robin if their...?

Wetland near Maspalomas was nice looking and interesting array of species, about ten sp of wader and Ruddy Shelduck and few herons, among others, am sure lots of various interesting migrants pop in and out here.

They do, some real rarities. Am there next October but only for a day so fingers crossed...

Stephen.

I've only ever had Robin at the Botanical Gardens in the north, and never seen Blue Chaffinch in the 14 times that i've been to GC ...

Mick ..

I have since had an email from Tony Clarke (pity I didnt get this email before I went, nevermind...).
I was delighted to hear however that 'There are about 50 pairs left and they are gettable with the permit.'
I did however try and get the permit as suggested by Richard, but never managed to successfully get in touch with the details provided.
Tony Clarke however mentioned the permit can olny be obtained from Paco del Campo - nso not sure if he and the details provided above are one and the same person?
Anyway would have been good to see one, or more, but glad to know they are still hanging on......
Thought I would just bring the situation up to date...
Tony

I'm going to try for them next week. I see on ebird that there have been some recent sightings at Llanos de la Pez. Is there still an issue about getting a permit to look for them?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back