• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another raptor for ID !!! (1 Viewer)

Sumit

Hi Folks!
This one is hot off the chip, having been shot today. What is really interesting is that it was shot very close to Kolkata city, where large raptors are extremely rare and aside from Black Kites and the very occasional Crested Serpant eagle, anything else is an extreme rarity. This is not a large bird, about 60-68 cms, and was seen near a waterbody where it made a couple of fruitless dives at the waterfowl. The bird was far away when I got a chance to shoot and the image quality suffers as a result.
Thanks and regards,
Sumit

Attachments

• raptor1.jpg
    raptor1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 257
  • raptor2.jpg
    raptor2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 250
Thanks Tim! Booted looks good but as range does not extend this far east, a confirmation is very welcome. Obviously the size estimate has to come down but I think it is better to write what I thought rather than be guided by reference books.
Thanks,
Sumit

Hi Tim,
Did see it. Krys also came back with clanga, am waiting for Rishad's views and Bill's will be very welcome. Thanks for your help.
And the Booted above is a very very good range record. 2nd recorded bird in 10 years in the area!!! Was keen that someone else confirmed the ID before sending out the record. Thanks a ton!!
Cheers!
sumit

Hi Jonafly,

Yes it is, too. Booted Eagles come in both pale (yours) and dark (Sumit's) phases. The pale phase is much the commoner in Europe, but the relative frequancy of pale and dark could be different in India and elsewhere

Michael

Hi Jonafly,
Michael beat me to it. Light, dark & intermediate phases exist. As mentioned above the classical "landing lights" are a feature to look out for as are the pale secondary panels. Here is another thread that covered this including a picture of a dark phase Booted Eagle: last post on page 1
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=9778
Steve

Steve G said:
Hi Jonafly,
Michael beat me to it. Light, dark & intermediate phases exist. As mentioned above the classical "landing lights" are a feature to look out for as are the pale secondary panels. Here is another thread that covered this including a picture of a dark phase Booted Eagle: last post on page 1
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=9778
Steve

I thought the pale wing panel was on the inner primaries. The secondaries are dark. I hope I am right, otherwise some of my wing descriptions are going to look a bit silly.

I think other species show pale shoulder patches ("landing lights") too so this feature isn't diagnostic on its own.

brianhstone said:
I thought the pale wing panel was on the inner primaries. The secondaries are dark. I hope I am right, otherwise some of my wing descriptions are going to look a bit silly.

I think other species show pale shoulder patches ("landing lights") too so this feature isn't diagnostic on its own.
Hi Brian,
You are right, just realised what I'd written-thanks.
Steve

I think other species show pale shoulder patches ("landing lights") too so this feature isn't diagnostic on its own.[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian
yep, think HB's show these too on occasion.

Don't think any of the 'confusion' species for Booted such as Black Kite show them though....might be wrong, goodness knows it wouldn't be the first time!

Hi Sumit,
Unless there is another species in India that looks exactly like one,my vote is for an obvious dark morph Booted.As well as the "landing lights",the pattern of the upper- and underwings and the pale band at the tail base point towards this identification,as does the head shape and expression(!).Great photos,btw!
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back