• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

downy woodpecker? (2 Viewers)

Bubo

Registered Birder
since woodpeckers are fresh on a some people's minds here :)
i've attached photos taken a 4/6/04 in riparian habitat, of what i believe to be a downy woodpecker.

i haven't seen many woodpeckers other than acorn woodpeckers, so i would like opinions on the ID.

much appreciated!

the quality of the pics are lacking, i seem to be cursed with backlighting/low light, maybe i should start my walks in the opposite direction!

Attachments

• woodpecker01.jpeg
    woodpecker01.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 225
  • woodpecker02.jpeg
    woodpecker02.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 199
  • woodpecker03.jpeg
    woodpecker03.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 225
Michael, over the pond we type Month Day Year, as opposed to your Day Month Year format.

Oh, and Downy for me too!

I would kill to see an acorn woodpecker (even better, a Red-Headed Woodpecker)!

gthang said:
Michael, over the pond we type Month Day Year, as opposed to your Day Month Year format.
Ooops! - forgot about the absurd American method of counting ;)

Out of curiosity, do Americans also quote time as hours, seconds and minutes and distances as miles, inches and feet?

Michael

Yeah, i find it absurd too! Oh, wait. I'm american.

Please don't terrorize me... I'll do anything...

I personally like the metric system (much easier to remember, but the Americans are too stupid to know better), and prefer the Day Month Year date formating.

Distances: Miles, Yards, feet, inches
Capacity: Liters (on 2-liter soda pop bottles), quarts, pints, cups, gallons, fluid ounces, teaspoon, tablespoon, bushel!
Weight: Pounds, ounces, grams, kilos...

What a dumb country I live in, gotta remember all the conversion factors, etc. (must be hundreds of each, one way!)

hahaha, guess i'll just go with April 6, 2004 next time to avoid any confusion? and maybe i'll start typing colour instead of color, and so forth ;)

thank you for the input on the ID everyone, much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back