• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Finch (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
All

Seen today at the feeders at Vane Farm RSPB Reserve near Kinross, Scotland.

Maybe this is a female goldfinch - if it is it is my first ever!

Martin
-

Attachments

• finch.jpg
    finch.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 331
mipettin said:
-
All

Seen today at the feeders at Vane Farm RSPB Reserve near Kinross, Scotland.

Maybe this is a female goldfinch - if it is it is my first ever!

Martin
-
mmm funny I cant seem to find any plumage characters of female Goldfinch in any of my books or thoughts for that matter.
A stumped Birdspotter !!

-
Birdspotter

I sometimes use the RSPB site to look up birds - thing is they only have a male Goldfinch and a male Goldfinch in their gallery. The reason I didn't think it was a Greenfinch is that I have a greenfinch pair in the garden regularly - the male is a brilliant green the female is a drab green and looks nothing like this bird! Sometimes they feed together - though the male normally feeds on the ground under the shrubs while the female eats peanuts of the feeder. I also think I have another Greenfinch pair who like to take sunflower hearts out the other feeder. None of the above birds have brilliant feather detail like this one - so is this a young first winter bird? Also what does a female Goldfinch look like?

Martin
-

Martin

Goldfinches do not show any sexual dimorphism - or at least none that is immediately noticable in the field. If I remember correctly, the red "face mask" is a slightly different shape on the edges between the sexes.........but i could've just dreamt that!

Also, I seem to remember reading that only male Goldies will feed on Teasel heads?..........or did i dream that one too!?!

Greenfinches do show great differences in plumage colours ranging from the extremely bright green males, down to really drab looking females. The thing to look for is the yellow in the tail and wings, as this should be the same in all the Greenies you encounter

HTH

Last edited:
SimonC said:
Also, I seem to remember reading that only male Goldies will feed on Teasel heads?..........or did i dream that one too!?!
I am sure I read somewhere that male and female goldfinches have slightly different bills, which could account for that.

robinm said:
I am sure I read somewhere that male and female goldfinches have slightly different bills, which could account for that.
I'd not heard that, but it would fit wouldn't it? ;)

robinm said:

Robin,

I read that too, apparently the female Goldfinch's is slightly shorter, which means she can't feed in the same way as the male. This would account for why only half the Goldfinch in my garden feed on the Nyger seed from the feeder and the other half feed out of the "catch tray" or off the ground, even when there are unoccupied ports. Or they could just be really lazy!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back