• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

meadow pipit or red-throated pipit? (1 Viewer)

dodin

hi all, could you help me wit ID of this pipit? pictures are from yesterday - czech republic. pipit is all the time hiding in the bush near the fish pond, not voice. d.

Attachments

• pipit1.jpg
    pipit1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 599
  • pipit2.jpg
    pipit2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 659
  • pipit3.jpg
    pipit3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 591
  • pipit4.jpg
    pipit4.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 552
Meadow Pipit surely?

daft looking face pattern, weak super, big white eye-ring, olive ground colour to mantle

cheers, a

Meadow Pipit surely?

daft looking face pattern, weak super, big white eye-ring, olive ground colour to mantle

cheers, a

Meadow Pipit for me too for the reasons stated above, plus the mantle stripes aren't pale enough (should be whitish) and the flanks streaks just dont match the thickness and linear appearance of RTP.

I guess it is all a bit subtle perhaps, but:

- the first photograph shows dark spots on the longest upper tail coverts, and thick black lines on central mantle and back;
- the second and fourth photograph reveal prominent black streaking in between the shortest pair of tertials; second photo also shows rusty tone to ear-coverts;
- third photo shows extensive blackish streaking on crown and forehead; note also extensive black malar patch.

For these reasons, I suspect it is more likely a Red-throated Pipit, though perhaps not the most typical one.

hm, red-throated is a long distant migrant and i guess a january record in czech republik (continental climate, hard winter) would be absolutely outstanding. however the subtleties mentioned by peter point towards this species (although i'm not able to make a 100% and definite call).
- a mipit would by far be more likely to be expected! just an idea...

Lou, you wrote exactly what I was thinking about the range.

Here's a Meadow Pipit with pretty solid blackish lines on the back, and with dark streaks on the longest UTCs:
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=25454
Here's a Meadow Pipit with pretty distinct malar pathces:
http://www.lintukuva.fi/lajikuvat/antpra/1antpra311i.jpg

Personally, I see more features that don't fit Red-throated Pipit too well (very indistinct supercilium and pretty short and thin streaks on the flanks) than features that don't fit Meadow Pipit too well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back