• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Purple Swamphen (1 Viewer)

leon

From my guide this is called a African Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio Madagascariensis). The bird was shot at Marievale (close to Johannesburg)

What would this be on the database's SM classification - a Porphyrio Porphyrio?

Attachments

• swamp1.jpg
    swamp1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 808
leon said:
From my guide this is called a African Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio Madagascariensis). The bird was shot at Marievale (close to Johannesburg)

What would this be on the database's SM classification - a Porphyrio Porphyrio?
I think by Sibley it should be the subspecies P p madagascariensis but it seems like a lot of people have split it to P madagascariensis. Looks like everything is up for splitting these days.

Leon,
Alastair is right on this one. The Robert's list has this as split. The overlumping of P. porphyrio is widely suspected and some work has been done - though mostly regarding the New Zealand and Australian subspecies. Aside from this, all three of the most widely followed world lists (SM, Clement's and Howard & Moore) still have this listed as Porphyrio porphyrio madagascariensis and I imagine that they are all waiting for verifiable and propositive works delineating another line of treatment for the species as a whole before splitting on their lists. For now - Sibley Monroe - P. porphyrio madagascariensis.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back