• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diderick Cuckoo (1 Viewer)

leon

I have been looking to see a diderick all my life, mainly due to is lovely call (too me second only to the call of the fish eagle). I tried to follow the call and thought I saw the bird. Once I came home and looked at the picture I was disapointed, as I am not sure if this is a Diderick at all, but then I can't find any bird in my guide which looks like this.

Is this then maybe an imature diderick cuckcoo (Chrysoccyx caprius)?

I don't see a white line trough the eye, the beak is black, and the wing pattern is totally wrong. So it can't be a diderick. The wing patern reminds me of a Southern Boubou.

The bird was shot at potchefstroom (150km west of Johannesburg)

I don't have any more information, the bird was only visible to me for a few seconds.

Please help?

Attachments

• diederikkie1.jpg
    diederikkie1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 240
  • diederikkie2.jpg
    diederikkie2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 230
I wonder if this might be a juvenile Southern Boubou. I've not seen any juveniles and they're not illustrated in my SASOL guide, but it says they're 'mottled buff brown above and barred below'. I don't think it's a cuckoo.

The upper and lower bill seem to be exactly the same size on the image. I'm not sure of the immature Boubou, but the adults upper is slightly longer (with a tip) ?

I'm voting for the juv. or imm. Southern Boubou aswell. The wing patch is one good hint. Another is the tip of the tail. It appears divided like in a Southern Boubou...

Last edited:
The more I look at it, I must agree the more it appears to be a Southern Boubou, The tails is exactly right, and the wingpatern. I suppose it only requires the beak when it starts to hunt for itself. I often see Boubou around, with a white to brownish chests, haven't seen one like this before.

Aha well, still no Diderick. I will have to look harder. You can hear their call for miles, but see them, no.

leon said:
Aha well, still no Diderick. I will have to look harder. You can hear their call for miles, but see them, no.

I ended up using a whole day on tracking down a single singing individual... and, finally succeeded. So, it may not be easy, but it certainly is possible. Good luck...

I remember seeing a Deiderick's Cuckoo at the Sabaki Mouth in Kenya in the scrub. My guide went ape when he saw it. Not being local I did not grasp the scale of it being a locally respectable sighting. I just savoured the views.

Diederick's are very common in Bonny Island Nigeria - all over the place and I often saw them remove eggs from Village Weaver nests.
Often used to lie on the grass watching them chase each other aroound and remember a Chattering cisticola furiously "shouting" at one from about 12" away from the Diederick!
Great birds!

Great photos!

Will have to visit central Africa at some point - if for nothing else; those Picathartes... yes, for anyone who haven't yet discovered; I am a (admittedly rather crazy ;)) "family collector"!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back