• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID? (1 Viewer)

Fulmar

Hi all,

This distant raptor was photographed while it was hanging motionless in the air over a riverine area in eastern Belgium at the end of May.

Although I think I know what it is, I am interested to see if you come to the same conclusion.

The fourth photo is the same as the second one but digitally enlarged, maybe it helps a little bit.

Thanks for looking into this.

Peter

Attachments

• Img_4294ss.JPG
    Img_4294ss.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Img_4295ss.JPG
    Img_4295ss.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 248
  • Img_4296ss.JPG
    Img_4296ss.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Img_4295sss.JPG
    Img_4295sss.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 276
Hi Peter,
I agree,seems to be a female-type Marsh Harrier.The crown seems to be cream,and the tail shape would also rule out Black Kite.
Harry

As you know I love to disagree.... but I can't. With that wing-shape it really can only be Marsh Harrier, Dark Phase Booted Eagle or Black Kite........ and it looks like a Harrier!

Thanks to all of you to confirm what I also thought that it was! The ID is now positive enough to be added as an addition to my GGBsC count! Steve, enjoy the coconut B :)

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back