• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

did I do ok (1 Viewer)

statestat

found out at the last minute that the local photo shop had specials and got a Manfrotto 055 CF Q90 tripod for my Zeiss 65mm. my old tripod head stripped the tripod screw and broke a few days after getting the scope. once the nice lade handed me the 055, I knew it was going home with me, super light.

trouble is they ran out of heads that I recognized, with a handle, and needed something qui, the nice lady had an idea so I ended with a little head, No a Manfrotto 494cr2 mini-ball. she said why carry a bigger unit w/handle, just grab the scope to move it. it seems ok so I got a little head.

question will this hold up,, I have an old scope that is smaller maybe switch at some point, but to what?

I really think that's a bit too flimsy for use with a 65 mm scope. Manfrotto's blurb describes that head as being suited to compact 35 mm cameras and small digital cameras.
I have used ball heads with a scope but they had adjustable friction and I don't think the 494 has that.
Nevertheless, a pan and tilt video head is a much more comfortable solution and I would suggest ordering a Manfrotto 701HDV. The store should really take back the 494 as you have been poorly advised.

John

thanks for the advice, it seemed flimsy but she said it was rated for up to 8 lb. it has a friction adj but I think you are right I'll take it back or could use for smaller scope like the Bushnell Spacemaster and use for moon observvation thanks

I actually use that exactly head... and it is nice. It has the friction and all.

Work fine for small Scopes and DSLR. I just sometimes have a bit of problem to follow things at the night. But for all the rest it is great, actually(for me, I guess)

ok swapped the Manfrotto 700 video head and it is much much better. thanks for the excellent advice. I should choose my words more carefully, the ball head wasn't really flimsy but harder to manuver and adjust to find the right amount of friction.

Stat, Is that the Manfrotto 701 head? I have the 501 head and might get the 701 head some day. The 501 is great, but would like a lighter wt. one once in a while.

Stat, Is that the Manfrotto 701 head? I have the 501 head and might get the 701 head some day. The 501 is great, but would like a lighter wt. one once in a while.

yes it is the 701, while not a fluid head (teflon disks), it works well and is very smooth. Would like a shorter handle but the 701 is light weight and stable.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back