• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD 65 with 16-48x instead of Nikon ED82 + ED50 for general use..? (1 Viewer)

If you can get the chance, try the Vortex 65 with some Swarovski eyepieces on it. The Swaro 25-50x is 20-40 on the Vortex. The 20-60 is 16-48x.

But what I consider ideal for me is the Swaro 30x fixed which gives a wonderfully wide and bright 24x on the Vortex. I use a Swaro 45x giving 36x on the Vortex as back up for when I want a bit more reach. I don't often need it though because the 24x is so good.

I sold me Swaro ATM65 because I prefer the Vortex.

Compared the two again when the sun was on the way down. It´s hard to say which one is the sharpest - it´s a close call..but I think the ED50 has the edge marginally. But I have to say that I prefer the brighter MM3 60 in the sunset - even at low magnification. I really like the scope! :)

I did not know that it was possible to use Swarovski eyepiece on the the Vortex. But if I would by a 65mm scope in the near future I think I would take a close look on the Swarovski ATS 65 HD with the 25-50X zoom. But it is twice the price of the Opticron MM3 60 and it will be a bit larger and heavier. Maybe it does not handle CA as good as the Opticron either..!? Otherwise it may be THE perfect scope... |^|

Kingfisher,

I should have the opportunity to compare the MM3 60 mm with the Swaro ATX (not sure if the ATS will be on display)this weekend. If I can phonescope a pic through each one then I will post them here. Just as a point of discussion with the understanding that the camera will be the limiting factor.

I have been able to see something which looks like glue inside the eyepiece (but only if I look through the eyepiece without my glasses). It does not have bothered me so much because I have been pleased with the sharpness anyway. But this morning when I used the scope there suddenly was a "straw" inside the eyepiece! I think it looks like the glue has flowed out and ended up on the inside of the glass. I have wondered if it might be a crack, but it seems strange since this "straw" suddenly occured from one moment to another. See the attached image!

I have of course contacted my dealer about this. But I wonder what it can be? I have not dropped the eyepiece or something like that, so it is very strange!

Attachments

• Opticron okular.JPG
    Opticron okular.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 125
I have got a second copy of the SDL V2 now, but even in this one I can see glue inside the eyepiece (around the edges).

This sample of the 15-45x zoom seems to be sharper than the first one - very very nice! :)

Last edited:
Oops, so, if I get it right, this glue-thread can be seen but does not hinder vision or lower the quality when looking through the scope? I've ordered the same setup, hence my concern ;)

Oops, so, if I get it right, this glue-thread can be seen but does not hinder vision or lower the quality when looking through the scope? I've ordered the same setup, hence my concern ;)

Yes, that´s right..but my first sample of the eyepiece got some glue on the lens (it must have dripped from the glue that is visible around the edges).
So I'm a little worried that it will happen even with my new copy of the eyepiece, I must say...

Otherwise I am very pleased with the Opticron MM3 60 + SDL V2. The combo will replace my Nikon ED82 and Nikon ED50 to 90% of my birding time..if not even more! o:)

Hmm, the "glue issue" doesn't sound very promising, I'll inspect my unit as soon as I get my hands on it and keep you posted :) This will be my (first and) only scope. 90 % of my birdwatching days I'm on my bike or hiking, so weight/size is very important. First I considered a Razor HD 85 (nice and not that expensive), but what put me off was not only the 2 kg weight of the scope, but the 2+ kg of the tripod, so then I tilted towards the MM3 50, but was concerned that the low magnification could be to large a compromise, so I think MM3 + SDL is a good balance. I checked the MM3 50+HDF and liked it very much. MM3 60 + Vanguard VEO 235AP will be my initial combo. Not 100 % sure about the tripod (1,5 kg felt light on the hand when I tried it, but sounds a tad heavy when hiking).

Kingfisher,

I have an SDL V2 zoom, and HDF zoom and the HDF fixed mag (I forget the number..think the 809). I will look at each to see if there is any glue exposed internally.

Does the glue "streak" come in and out of focus as you move the zoom adjustment?

Kingfisher,

I have an SDL V2 zoom, and HDF zoom and the HDF fixed mag (I forget the number..think the 809). I will look at each to see if there is any glue exposed internally.

Does the glue "streak" come in and out of focus as you move the zoom adjustment?

Yes, I think it does..most visible at 15x!

Kingfisher,

Frank..

Have you took a closer look at your eyepieces to see if there is glue inside them? I think you will see it, because otherwise I have been very unlucky - I have got two (2 of 2 tested) SDL V2 with visible glue inside!

Kingfisher,

None of the eyepieces I checked had glue that was either across the lenses or readily visible along the edges under casual inspection. I did not shoot a flashlight down either end of the eyepiece to see if I could just see uncoated glue in there. Will do so if you would like me to though.

Kingfisher,

None of the eyepieces I checked had glue that was either across the lenses or readily visible along the edges under casual inspection. I did not shoot a flashlight down either end of the eyepiece to see if I could just see uncoated glue in there. Will do so if you would like me to though.

Are the eyepieces totaly black inside? Can you not see a "silver ring" around the lens? Do you use glasses when inspecting the eyepieces? I don´t see the glue/silver ring with my glasses on, but without them it is clearly visible.

I made an illustration of how it looks. The black symbolizes the black inside the eyepiece while the white "disc" is the lens. Around the lens, I see something bright, almost a little sparkling. It must be glue, or!?

Attachments

• Glue inside the eyepiece.jpg
    Glue inside the eyepiece.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 84
Will check tonight Kingfisher.

I have seen something similar in binoculars. Without seeing yours I cannot say. Sometimes, with binoculars, is looks like reflected light around the very spot you illustrated in your picture.

Will check tonight Kingfisher.

I have seen something similar in binoculars. Without seeing yours I cannot say. Sometimes, with binoculars, is looks like reflected light around the very spot you illustrated in your picture.

In the second copy of the eyepiece I can see the reflected light with my glasses on - but only when using my left eye. I have had problems with my right eye for a few weeks (seen blurred and double), so I have been forced to use the left eye when I looked in the scope. Now the eye is better and can be used again - and then I no longer see the reflected light that otherwise tends to be most pronounced in the right edge of the eyepiece. Most likely I block incident light when using my right eye, which means that it either does not reflect any light back. Nice! :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back