• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short Birding Trips around Kuala Lumpur? (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

Hi, just wondering if I could get some general advice about doing a little birding around Kuala Lumpur - I may be going sometime in July or August (though not 100% guaranteed at all yet for reasons) but I'd be interested in getting some advice in advance so I am prepared if and when it does happen.

This isn't a birding holiday at all, so probably mostly just fairly casual birding for the most part and I don't really have a specific list as such - I've never birded in the tropics at all, so apart from the overlap with Europe and Japan (which from my research, seems to be primarily waders, ducks and general global species?) basically anything I see will be a lifer.

The only one specific species that I've encountered as a specific but doable target would be Black-thighed Falconet, but beyond that it's more a case of just I would like to see some birds of groups eg. some kingfishers, some sunbirds, some hornbills etc would all be high on my list. Usual groups that I'm fond of back here like raptors, owls and (East-Asia specific) waders would be great too, though I feel like if going to the tropics I should probably at least try to see representatives of groups I don't get at home.

The places I see mentioned a lot are Fraser's Hill and Kuala Selangor, so presumably those would be the primary targets?

Also, can anyone recommend any english speaking guides who do day trips - my general feeling is finding someone who knows where to go is probably the most efficient way of doing things.

But yes, broadly based on a bulk of species basis, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back