• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slider Plate? (1 Viewer)

giosblue

I'm looking to buy some sort slider plate so that I can move my Pentax PF80 a bit further forward. When I'm sat in the hide I have to lean back to get a proper view. Is this the type of thing I should be looking and any other suggestion would be most welcome.

Manfrotto 357PLONG Long Sliding Plat

Many thanks

I suggest that, for cheaper options, you search on Ebay for "qr plate for arca".

You will need a base plate that fits your tripod/clamp or whatever and the rail. From memory they go as long as 300mm.

If you can, buy them as a pair and ensure they are compatible with each other.

They are made in the FE and take a while to arrive. I used them with my Swaro 80 when I had it.

Last edited:
I suggest that, for cheaper options, you search on Ebay for "qr plate for arca".

You will need a base plate that fits your tripod/clamp or whatever and the rail. From memory they go as long as 300mm.

If you can, buy them as a pair and ensure they are compatible with each other.

They are made in the FE and take a while to arrive. I used them with my Swaro 80 when I had it.

Thanks for that, I've had a look and like you say you have to buy both. I don't mind that, but ideally I was looking for something I could just fix to my existing pan and tilt head. What was the quality like of the one you bought? were you happy with it?

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy some sort slider plate so that I can move my Pentax PF80 a bit further forward. When I'm sat in the hide I have to lean back to get a proper view. Is this the type of thing I should be looking and any other suggestion would be most welcome.

Manfrotto 357PLONG Long Sliding Plat

Many thanks

What head are you using and how do you currently attach to that head? Then we can find the right solution (secure, easy to use, inexpensive). I have the Pentax 80 as well and have used many different mounts so I'm sure there's one to suit you!

Best,
Jerry

What head are you using and how do you currently attach to that head? Then we can find the right solution (secure, easy to use, inexpensive). I have the Pentax 80 as well and have used many different mounts so I'm sure there's one to suit you!

Best,
Jerry

Thanks Jerry, at the moment I'm using an old Slik tripod, with the Slik head.
I don't mind buying a new head, to be honest the old Slik head isn't very good anyway. So suggestions for a new head and slider would be most welcome. I'm using an Opticron QR plate at the moment, would I have to ditch this lot and start from scratch ?

Last edited:
We have what we call a balance plate which allows you to set the scope behind or in front of the pan head. The SRP is £19 - probably easiest to order over the phone from us direct as it's not something that we sell often to dealers!

I've attached a photo which hopefully is self-explanatory.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• WP_20160712_001.jpg
    WP_20160712_001.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 69
The Manfrotto 357PLONG/357long is nice if you have a Manfrotto head that it fits. Pricey yes, but the adjustment is quick, easy and repeatable. I highly recommend a long sliding/QR plate for whatever head. If you're changing from a level terrestrial view to 45* or higher vertical the center of balance changes.

This is more noticable w/heavier scopes. The old 516 Manfrotto fluid head weighs five lbs, rated for 22lbs load, and an old Barska 20/40X100 bin weighs 15 lbs. I'm looking to buy another for me Celestron Regal 100mm ED. The bar shown in Pete's pic is what ships w/Celestron 80/100mm scopes.

It works fine, have it on mine currently, in positioning a scope to prevent being too front heavy, but it isn't designed to work in conjunction w/QR head that also employs a cam lever locking in fore and aft adjustments. The 516 does this w/standard QR plate though that plate doesn't have a lot of adjustment.

Also, because the Regal accepts 1 1/4" eyepieces the center of gravity can change quite a bit w/heavier WA/UWA/MWA eyepieces anywhere from half a lb to over a lb. The long ER combined w/wide & wider fov adds up to a portly eyepiece. Naturally the 2" eyepieces are huge, yet even the 1 1/4" tip the scales nicely.

I've a Meade 607016 Eyepiece, 100 Degree, MWA 10MM eyepiece on order and I understand it weighs in at one lb. That comes to 54X and the Luminos 82* 15mm/36X is around 3/4 lb. But, then I might change to a Vixen SLV 50* 4mm/135X that's dwarfed in comparison to the longer focal length wide angle eyepieces.

Here is a link for a flat Manfrotto head that supports 15lbs and scroll below it for the long QR plate for another 25 simoleons. A tad over two bills.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677682,&A=details&Q=

As an example as I have a couple of Manfrotto heads though I'm sure other brands offer the same. I prefer 1.5X to double the weight of a scope to compare to the load rating of a fluid head.

Were I hiking a summit I might prefer slightly lighter equipment. But even the heavier rated old 516 tension changes w/temperature. The "fluid"/grease warms up w/use or climbing temps allowing for more/easier movement and perhaps a quick adjustment on the tension knob.

I'll use a smaller tripod before using a smaller head though currently I have the scope on a Manfrotto MHXPRO-2W. Load cap 8.8 lbs and this one came w/two extra QR plates. It does not have a sliding plate ability as that is generally reserved for more expensive/heavier load rated models.

It handles the 100mm scope very well though in astronomical use it is a mite dicey. Yet, for < 125 bucks THD I cannot complain. In time it will be relegated to bins and/or smaller scope. I would have a concern w/longevity w/load I have on it though for now it merely peers out the glass door to the feeder for the most part.

I paid around $45 for the 357plong a few yrs ago and if not mistaken all the heads it fits are discontinued. Which has me questioning the wisdom in dropping 88 clams on another.

The $64 dif in long plates places the 502HD w/long QR plate at 150 and if I deduct the entire 88 bucks off the combo I'm only looking at an additional 126 clams dif.

I'd be better off buying the combo and allowing them to choke on the overpriced 357plong for discontinued heads. I could always cannibalize the one I have though I prefer not to stroll down that lane.

I prefer a flat base instead of a half ball. I'd rather use the tripod to adjust for horizon and I consider the flat base more durable and one less adjustment on the head.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I got the balance bar from Pete at Opticron, it looks a bit industrial, works a treat though. I've got the Opticron QR on one end and the Manfrotto QR on the other.

Thanks Pete for the quick delivery.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not attempting to undermine Pete or his wares. If you already have a head not designed for a sliding long QR plate then that definitely is a viable option.

But, if you're in the market for a fluid head then I would consider the additional cost of a long sliding QR plate and check prices on fluid heads that were designed for the option. Dependent on the scope length/weight, whether it accepts various sized eyepieces and if you look up as oft as you look across.

The cam lock lever adjustment is handy as a shirt pocket.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back