• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Whitethroats seem to have arrived en masse overnight!
Yes, there were lots of them at Strumpshaw today too, especially along the river bank, with good numbers of Willow Warblers and Blackcaps and a few singing Chiffchaffs. I heard my first Reed and Sedge Warblers of the year too, although they were holding back on their singing a little.

We also came across a small flock of Redwings feeding on Ivy along the Buckenham road, so they haven't all left yet. Plenty of Brimstones, Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and a two Small Whites.

A really beautiful day.

Ron

Last edited:
Beeston and Felis catus baastardii

0641-0822 All west unless stated

Linnet-56, Goldfinch-30, Meadow Pipit-23, Yellowhammer-1 S, alba-2, flava-4, Carrion Crow-35, Woodpgeon-40, Swallow-8, Sand Martin-18, Redpoll-1, Stock Dove-2, Egyptian Goose-2 E, Jay-1 S, Sandwich Tern-5

On the way up the local "pet" cat had a Moorhen firmly grasped by the neck, after doing my best dog impression and unleashing various expletives the Moorhen was released and flew back towards Priory pond. The cat had no bell.

As I drove along Salthouse Beach Road, a now familiar silhouette broke the skyline, above the shingle. Another (?) handsome Red Kite, over the meadows.

Walsey was restrained on the bird front, no doubt showing respect for the dead mammal below. I was so moved, I felt it incumbent to pen an ode:

“At Walsey, I saw this plump mole,
From whom Death had exacted its toll.
I hurried on by,
With just a short cry,
And a prayer for its e’erlasting soul.”

Wells Woods gave more views of a Firecrest; this time, just at the west end of the first section. I took around 400 shots: most showed leaves and twigs ! By the time I'd pressed the shutter, it'd moved on.

Attachments

• 031pse.jpg
    031pse.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 129
  • 088pse.jpg
    088pse.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 276pse.jpg
    276pse.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 139
  • 186pse.jpg
    186pse.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 190pse.jpg
    190pse.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 123
0641-0822 All west unless stated

Linnet-56, Goldfinch-30, Meadow Pipit-23, Yellowhammer-1 S, alba-2, flava-4, Carrion Crow-35, Woodpgeon-40, Swallow-8, Sand Martin-18, Redpoll-1, Stock Dove-2, Egyptian Goose-2 E, Jay-1 S, Sandwich Tern-5

On the way up the local "pet" cat had a Moorhen firmly grasped by the neck, after doing my best dog impression and unleashing various expletives the Moorhen was released and flew back towards Priory pond. The cat had no bell.

I have for several years had a problem with a cat on the Wyndham caravan park at E Runton. Site rules state that dogs must be on a lead at all times, fair enough, but this cat is free to wander willy nilly, fouling everywhere, and killing all the local songbirds. Why is this allowed, are there any bye-laws to prevent this? On a more positive note, the resident Hooded Crow/hybrid? has nested on the site, currently sitting on eggs, assuming it hasn't been taken by the cat!!
Good birding, Graham

I have for several years had a problem with a cat on the Wyndham caravan park at E Runton. Site rules state that dogs must be on a lead at all times, fair enough, but this cat is free to wander willy nilly, fouling everywhere, and killing all the local songbirds. Why is this allowed, are there any bye-laws to prevent this? On a more positive note, the resident Hooded Crow/hybrid? has nested on the site, currently sitting on eggs, assuming it hasn't been taken by the cat!!
Good birding, Graham

This link on BF: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=244841

Also here: http://messybeast.com/retro-legal.htm

http://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/cat_care_leaflets/EG10-Catsandthelaw.pdf

In effect there is nothing you can do, other than shoo it off, or use various legal methods.

On one of my rare excursions 'up' the coast today I was very surprised at the lack of birds about for this time of year,particularly waders, it now explains the lack of wader passage we are having inland in the west of the county. Did manage a Whinchat east of the beach car-park at Salthouse along with a few Wheatears,half a dozen Whimbrel and a scattering of White Wags.
A small gathering of birders were admiring the Sand Martin colony, obviously little else was on offer!

O fickle rain gods! Wherefore art thou?

I was very surprised at the lack of birds about for this time of year

I do most of my birding within a half-mile of the coast. If more than the promised ‘heavy showers’ does not arrive in the next week, the situation will become even more serious.

There are few flowers and insects (and, without a lorra water, will not be), the vegetation is becoming more and more sear (buds/growth delayed by up to one month, as has been said) and arriving birds will just move straight through, with nothing on which to feed.

Titchwell April 25th

Today’s highlights

Hobby – 1 west over reserve
Little ringed plover – 5 on fresh marsh
Whimbrel – 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 12 on fresh marsh
Lesser whitethroat – 1 along East Trail

Paul

Does anyone ever see Little Owls in Sheringham Park? There is, I believe, some pretty good habitat, but I have never seen one myself.

Thanks - Nigel

All

Off topic but I would like to highlight something that was flagged earlier today on Irish Bird Network - 1000's of migratory birds are being netted and slaughtered in fishing nets in an almost 700 kilometer stretch of North African coastline. Mostly Shrikes but obviously lots of other stuff. It is desperately sad, disturbing and shocking to see. Please follow the link and sign the e-petition.

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/voegel/zugvoegel/jagd/aegypten/15708.html

Thanks

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/

All

Off topic but I would like to highlight something that was flagged earlier today on Irish Bird Network - 1000's of migratory birds are being netted and slaughtered in fishing nets in an almost 700 kilometer stretch of North African coastline. Mostly Shrikes but obviously lots of other stuff. It is desperately sad, disturbing and shocking to see. Please follow the link and sign the e-petition.

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/voegel/zugvoegel/jagd/aegypten/15708.html

Thanks

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/
:-C:-C:-C

Had a nice evening at Roydon Common and heard and saw my first Cuckoo of the spring, also barn owl, common buzzard, kestrel, yellowhammer. A fox ran right across my path and 5 Roe Deers.

Penny:girl:

A few bits and bobs from the patch just south of Cley along the Glaven Valley.
This morning a Nightingale continues to provide an early morning serenade, also heard first returning Turtle Dove, hopefully will have them back in the garden again this year. A calling Cuckoo finished off the trio of calls.
Also along the lane a Cetti's in the ditch near the house, plenty of Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and a few Willow Warblers, Bullfinches and Sedge Warbler. and two Barn Owls were doing their rounds, quartering the fields in front of the house this morning.
Up The Hangs yesterday no sign of the Rock Thrush I was hoping for! Just a couple of Swifts heading west and 6 Wheatears.
Last nights entertainment was provided by a Tawny Owl sat on the wires in the back garden for quite some time. A Blackbird mobbed it for a few minutes without any success, the dog barking didn't seem to bother it either and nor did us stood under it chattering away and papping. Dodgy iPhone record shot attached. Had one calling in the middle of the day recently which I've not heard before.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• 936792_10151369761416905_1981655167_n.jpg
    936792_10151369761416905_1981655167_n.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 167
Tawny Owl . . . calling in the middle of the day recently which I've not heard before.

Brian: there are Tawny Owls calling in the day in several locations along the coast- and have been for some time. I have the impression they haven’t done badly this last winter.

However, Spanish Inquisitors will not wrest from me their sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back