• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back button focus (1 Viewer)

I switched to back button when I first got the 70D 18 months ago and have never changed back. It does take some getting used to but once you have done so it is a much better set-up IMHO. Completely separates focus and shooting

Was photographing Adders yesterday, with BB focus, focus on the eye then compose the picture not possible focusing with the shutter button.

I had set this up recently. Thought it would take a lot of coordiation to get used to it but I found it easy and will definitely continue with it.

It took me a LONG time to get used to BBF - but I would never go back!
I find that I have far better control of the camera using this method.

I switched to BBF over five years ago and cannot see myself ever going back. I was one of the lucky ones I guess as it only took a couple of days for me to get used to it.

Keep AF on shutter button for single shot AF

hi all,

on my former 7DI I used single shot AF for stationary birds, since I got sharper results than with AI-Servo. That`s why I want to keep AF on my shutter button also on my D7II. Is AI-Servo focus put on the AF-ON button disturbed, if I keep AF also on the shutter button ?
I don`t want to go over the menu button or Quick button to change between AI-Servo and Single Shot AF.

Andreas

Hi Schulz!

I'm not 100% sure I understand your thinking but perhaps the following might clarify things.: if you set back button focusing and then choose AI-Servo you have, in effect, AI-Servo and Single Shot under instant control of the back button. Aim your camera, push back button to focus, if you want AI-Servo continue to hold the button, if you want Single Shot release the back button and then recompose if required.
Back button focusing actually took me no time at all to get used to with the exception that I the second time I took the camera out I wondered why it refused to focus for 10 seconds until I remembered what I'd done - and that's after 30 years of shutter button focusing. The only disadvantage for me is that when I pass the camera to my wife or daughter-in-law to take a photo of my grand daughter I have to explain what to do .... every time! 😂

Give it a try, it really makes so much sense, in fact after 10mins you'll wonder why manufacturers don't use it as default! If they did I don't see anybody trying to change back! 😀

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back