• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extender - Kenko or Canon (1 Viewer)

I'm just as confused John but that's normal for me! Don't you mean feet not metres in your reply but that increases the MFD of 6m with the 21mm extender. It also means, and is what I found frustrating, the narrow band where the bird has to land to be able to focus dictates that anything outside and beyond is no good.However, if I read it correctly you are saying if they are that far away they are not worth photographing as they are too small in the frame?

No I do mean meters the 800 focuses down to roughly 19/20 feet (6m). Normally it is irrelevant but at a couple of hides it is just a touch too long.
So for a small reduction in minimum focus distance I loose a lot of the maximum focus range but for smaller species this does not matter as they will be too small in the frame at the furthest range I can focus with the 13 or 21mm extension tubes. I hope that makes sense!

I don't often get larger species coming in very close but occasionally.........

Attachments

• Egret01.JPG
    Egret01.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 80
No I do mean meters the 800 focuses down to roughly 19/20 feet (6m). Normally it is irrelevant but at a couple of hides it is just a touch too long.
So for a small reduction in minimum focus distance I loose a lot of the maximum focus range but for smaller species this does not matter as they will be too small in the frame at the furthest range I can focus with the 13 or 21mm extension tubes. I hope that makes sense!

I don't often get larger species coming in very close but occasionally.........

Yes I get you John, there is now some logic in their use.Thanks Dave

I use them quite a lot with long teles for small birds, however I have found with one of the real cheap brands (polaroid I think ?) is that it will let me use AF or IS but not both together ! If I try to use both the IS hunts like made. Not a major issue as I can just turn IS off especially as it will invariably be on a tripod.

Russ

I think my 2 sets of extension tubes (Jessops brand and E Bay cheapie) will allow the use of both AF and IS - they are supposed to.
However I haven't used IS for so long I honestly can't remember!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back