• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey call identity please? (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I'd like a second opinion on a bird of prey I saw today with the naked eye outsided my office.

I'm located in the centre of Birmingham.

The bird of prey roughly sparrowhawk sized was attempting to land on the brick facade of the vertical side wall of an office block 20 floors up.

It failed to get a grip and flew off.

It was being quite noisy, which drew my attention.

It's back was grey/light brown in colour and it had a pale underparts with a dark thick barring across the tail feathers. The tail was not particularily short and seeme proportioned to the wings.

The apparent agitated alarm call it made while failing to land had the following pattern (for want of a better word) with spaces being gaps of a fraction of a second (replace the D with a sharp hawk note):

D D D D D DDDDD D D

prior to that it had made a single D D call.

Only other possibilty is a juv peregrine, although it seems unlikely from your descriptions of the bird and its call. I would have thought a juv kestrel is more likely than sparrowhawk, given that you saw it trying to land high up on an office block.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back