• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

blue tits (1 Viewer)

how can we encorage blue tits to nest in our garden, we have a birds box ,feeders and fat balls can any one help do you think nesting blackbird will put them off they do get chased sometimes.

Last edited:
i dont think that the blackbirds would put them off and they are probably chasing them due to them been to close to their nest if they havent found your nest box then why not move it

blackbird14 said:
how can we encorage blue tits to nest in our garden, we have a birds box ,feeders and fat balls can any one help do you think nesting blackbird will put them off they do get chased sometimes.
Where is your nest box sited? I have two boxes being used by blue-tits which i only put up last winter and there are four blackbirds in and around the garden which the tits take no notice of.

Hi blackbird14 there are a lot of things to consider position of box in comparison to:- 1. other birds nesting in the garden, 2. which way the box is facing it does not want to be in the sun all day or facing an on coming wind, 3. it needs to be away from any feeder or bird table or there will be confrontation every time a bird comes to feed or crows & magpies feeding at the table will see the tits chicks as easy pickings.

Regards Snapper.

Hi
One thing also to check along with the info already given is the size of hole in the box coupled with the actual dimensions and hole to floor measurements....all very important for nesting.

Let us know if you think any of the info can be of help.

PS Is the box a distance away from food sources? How far would you say?

Sleeper said:
Hi
One thing also to check along with the info already given is the size of hole in the box coupled with the actual dimensions and hole to floor measurements....all very important for nesting.

Let us know if you think any of the info can be of help.

PS Is the box a distance away from food sources? How far would you say?
Very good points Sleeper something I forgot to point out.

Regards Snapper

Hi

My two penny worth to throw in the pot:- Do you have any Oak Trees around? Blue Tits love the Winter Moth Caterpillars that come out when the leaves start to grow, and lay eggs to coincide with this.

The Caterpillars are the main source of food for our Blue Tit chicks at the moment.

All the above points are very valid we well.

You can see it on our web site which has a daily diary - www.picture-room.co.uk/nestwatch.

Regards

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back