• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place....
I planned to meet up with a mate at Cley coastguards this morning at 09:00am. I was not expecting the seawatching to be much good with light sw winds. But with nothing else much happenening it was something to do.
Visibility was good but a bit hazy on the horizon.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there had already been a few Manx through. Plenty of juv Gannet passed close. For the next hour or so there were plenty of birds to keep us occupied, up to six more Manx, A couple of Juv Pom(west), Artics and Bonxies. A good passage of Rt Divers with a few Black Throated seen too, (surprisingly early?).
At approx 10:50hrs I was scanning the horizon and picked up on a suspected fulmar flying away east on the horizon. I tracked this bird along to about my 2 o'clock postion, when i saw a bird cross its path coming the other way, westwards.
My first thoughts were instantly large Sheawater as its flight action resembled in my experience Cory's in the meditteranean. Extremely high, tight arcs, once down the bird came straight up again in another high arc forming a continuous stream of ms if you like.
The wings, quite straight were long and narrow, making the wingspan easily twice the legth of the body.
The bird displayed a shining white belly to tail, but the underwings were dark grey. Unfortunately the bird was at such distance on the horizon I was unable to discern the white extending up onto the under wing coverts nor were the dark grey upperparts noticeably contrasting enough to form a v shape. The birds track was such that after watching it for a very slow 4 minutes(ish) it was lost to view over the horizon. Suggestions Guys?

presumably it 'felt' different from large shear and thats why you are mentioning it. Maybe if you go on and bird Madeira you'll have that instantly feeling of recognition. Enjoy the frustration of what could have been, enjoy the experience of having possibly seen a great bird in rubbish winds ;) Then put it down as one that got away.

Dave , I did not say there was no shooting on the marsh , but only on the roost sands. As for standing on the sands to scare the geese off thats as about as daft a suggestion as i have ever heard , that is unless you are trying to scare the geese away from the roost altogeather.

Last edited:
can someone conform the date relating to last little shearwater for norfolk? thank you

As Oliver says, 1st May 1960, dead on Blakeney Point which was the second there following another dead bird on 11th May 1929. There are currently two 'held'* Norfolk (BP again!) records of 'Macaronesian' Shearwater dated 7th September 1992 and 1st October 2009...

James

*BBRC 'work in progress' file

Last edited:
Hand in glove

If you can bear with me, some teddyfication re Sooty: they are almost all-dark, but can show a flash of silver, with the sun at the right angle.

They can often be found at this time of year by a Sweep with the bins, but I wouldn’t let this dog you too much.

However, if you see nothing, it can be Soo soul-destroying. Also, try not to panda to the temptation to convert the common-place (the birds you see most often) into a rarity, just because you’re in Norfolk- it’s Soo easy to do.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel a little saddened at the direction this normally excellent thread has taken over the last few days.

Perhaps a little humility is required on the part of all concerned.

To Oliver - be humble enough not to feel you have to constantly justify yourself, or reply to every perceived sleight.

To those apparently irritated by Oliver - be humble enough not to feel the need to react to what may have irritated you.

To all - be humble enough not to feel you must have the last word. Let it drop!

Preaching over! |:$|

Nigel

Orville - I'm keeping my side of the deal, why do you feel the need to reply to every post and try and back up all your sightings, do us all a favour and leave it out. Why not go to scilly for a few weeks there are some good birds down there;)

@ lilyfenn, and anyone interested in 'Little' Shearwater, see this web page and it's associated links for some insight into the ID and taxonomy regarding the species.

Stuart... take some deep breaths, breathing out for longer than you breathe in. Works wonders... :-O

James

Orville - I'm keeping my side of the deal, why do you feel the need to reply to every post and try and back up all your sightings, do us all a favour and leave it out. Why not go to scilly for a few weeks there are some good birds down there;)

... and Grey Wagtail is pretty much a dead cert if you're still having trouble catching up with one in Norfolk!

Titchwell September 20th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 8 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 5 on fresh marsh
Brent goose – 6 on fresh marsh
Swift – 1 over brackish marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on saltmarsh
Wheatear – female on fresh marsh

Paul

Dave , I did not say there was no shooting on the marsh , but only on the roost sands. As for standing on the sands to scare the geese off thats as about as daft a suggestion as i have ever heard , that is unless you are trying to scare the geese away from the roost altogeather.

The very reason for my post was that the birds WERE shot over the sand, two birds landing on the sand the third just on the edge of the saltmarsh.
I can't see where i said birders should scare the geese off,with a modicum of field craft you can approach the tideline without flushing the roosting birds.
Are you saying that shooters blasting seven bells out of the geese is less likely
to keep them of the roost than human disturbance.

What I can’t reconcile is the egregious concern for the welfare of ‘waifs and strays’ on the one hand and the ease with which he slips into the mass-murdering of wildfowl. Please correct me, if I’ve got this wrong.

It would seem to me that it’s almost our duty to scare the geese/ducks from wherever they are at risk. I have not done, nor do I propose doing, this; but I cannot see how killing them is furthering their welfare- unless it’s in the Anatid life to come, which is everlasting ? ! Am I missing something ?

As for the ‘constant justification’ matter (Stuart): it would be welcome if we were given a rest from all these boring flurries. It seems as if we’re going to have enough of them, in the shape of snow, later this winter, as it is.

Fair play Stu! Apologies.
Yea I heard that to! Couple of bits and bobs.

Plenty of Yanks in Lincolnshire without going to the islands ;)

Regards Kieran

Titchwell September 21st

Today’s highlights

Long tailed skua – juv lingering offshore @ 08:00 for 20mins before flying west
Curlew sandpiper – 5 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 3 on fresh marsh
Swift – 2 west
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Whinchat – 1 along main path

Paul

Let it snow

... on the Autumn equinox at UEA Norwich.

A late afternoon visit to grassy area behind Victory House - south of the Bluebell Road drive for an unexpected local tick - a snow bunting at UEA. Unaltered compressed shot attached.

Attachments

• UEA snow bunting behind Victory House 21 Sept 2011.jpg
    UEA snow bunting behind Victory House 21 Sept 2011.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Shirley, there's Snow danger of that ?

Some hope, there, Dave.

Here's one of the Finch variety from the Picos de Europa in northern Spain, last month.

Remarkably tame, one from the flock of c30 almost walked over my boot.

Although superficially similar, they sound quite different and look sufficiently distinct, too- even from a distance.

I don't think many birders would need more than a glance to ring in this mega as what it was !

Attachments

• 268pse_edited-2.jpg
    268pse_edited-2.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back