• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

The one positive aspect of this is that it shows that the fencing must be secure and not breached in any place for a fox to go to these lengths to get in/out of the Flashes. All the hard work undertaken by the work party to test and strengthen the perimeter fencing obviously produced results.

Yes I agree Phil was worth the 2 pairs of waders we punctured8-P.

I have since repaired them though..honest:smoke:

Whilst taking a sample from the north shore of the flashes this evening, as part of the salinity monitoring programme, I noticed a high density of these small (1-2mm), motile invertibrates swimming in the sample. I reckon they're 'Water Fleas' Daphnia. I wonder if these small crustaceans form part of the Avocet diet (?)

Some species of Daphnia are halophiles (salt-loving) and can be indicators of good water quality.

Can confirm two Dunlins present still this evening - one on moors, one flashes.
Well now we know it was more than the old anecdotal evidence of "there is only mosquito larvae for the waders to feed on"...must be bl***y big mosquitos then to sustain the growth level of our chicks. At last we can put that theory to bed then:gn:

Well now we know it was more than the old anecdotal evidence of "there is only mosquito larvae for the waders to feed on"...must be bl***y big mosquitos then to sustain the growth level of our chicks. At last we can put that theory to bed then:gn:

Who's theory was that then? 8-P

Some photos from today:

1. A poor record shot of this morning's Wood Sandpiper
2. Black and Red Froghopper Cercopis vulnerata
3. Female Blue-tailed Damselfly rufescens form

Attachments

• Wood Sand UW 150511.jpg
    Wood Sand UW 150511.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Froghopper Cercopis vulnerata UW150511.jpg
    Froghopper Cercopis vulnerata UW150511.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Blue tailed Damselfly rufescens UW150511.jpg
    Blue tailed Damselfly rufescens UW150511.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 71
Hi All

2nd visit to Upton today after the family joined WWT last week.
I was amazed this morning to sit in the hide facing the Moors Pools and have a Kestrel sit for 4 or 5 mins on the powerlines to my right, fantastic views. Also a Kingfisher enjoying his breakfast at about 8am too.
1 x Dunlin on the Flashes and what I believe to be a Lesser Whitethroat in the trees as you turn off the sailing pond and take the path to the Flashes

Fantastic place

Hi All

2nd visit to Upton today after the family joined WWT last week.
I was amazed this morning to sit in the hide facing the Moors Pools and have a Kestrel sit for 4 or 5 mins on the powerlines to my right, fantastic views. Also a Kingfisher enjoying his breakfast at about 8am too.
1 x Dunlin on the Flashes and what I believe to be a Lesser Whitethroat in the trees as you turn off the sailing pond and take the path to the Flashes

Fantastic place

Hi there,

Glad you enjoyed your visit, it sure is a wonderful place, it's been a bit quiet this past week as most of the spring passage is complete, however as has been proven in the past any bird can turn up at anytime, hope you come again, you never know what may drop in :t:

Gavo

Hi there,

Glad you enjoyed your visit, it sure is a wonderful place, it's been a bit quiet this past week as most of the spring passage is complete, however as has been proven in the past any bird can turn up at anytime, hope you come again, you never know what may drop in :t:

Gavo

I agree with Gavo and hope to meet you at the reserve sometime.
Gav shouldn't you be studying:smoke:
May is traditionally the month of the rarity so be ready for that text:t:

I agree with Gavo and hope to meet you at the reserve sometime.
Gav shouldn't you be studying:smoke:
May is traditionally the month of the rarity so be ready for that text:t:

Haha, if I don't know it now John (and I don't) I never will. Am toying with the idea of nipping over to UW to freshen the synapses, so I can have one last big study session this evening.... decisions decisions 8-P

Haha, if I don't know it now John (and I don't) I never will. Am toying with the idea of nipping over to UW to freshen the synapses, so I can have one last big study session this evening.... decisions decisions 8-P

Gavo, I think you should rest.. have a nap to recharge the brain (you would not want to be adding a rareity at this time and getting distracted .. or overtaking me 8-P). Don't forget the dextrose tablets for tomorrow:t:

Decided against Mark's advice :-O and spent a couple of hours at the reserve this afternoon, no need to worry Mark nothing amazing dropped in.

The Dunlin is still on the flashes, and I saw the tailless Tern on the moors for the first time in several days. Also saw another Tree Bumblebee (which is great news) :t:

Took a great photo of a Cinnabar Moth on the edy reserve, however after much cropping I'm still unable to post the pic, I really don't understand how it can be too big, it was only taken with a phone :C

Decided against Mark's advice :-O and spent a couple of hours at the reserve this afternoon, no need to worry Mark nothing amazing dropped in.

The Dunlin is still on the flashes, and I saw the tailless Tern on the moors for the first time in several days. Also saw another Tree Bumblebee (which is great news) :t:

Took a great photo of a Cinnabar Moth on the edy reserve, however after much cropping I'm still unable to post the pic, I really don't understand how it can be too big, it was only taken with a phone :C

Gav
If your setting is more than 3 Mega pix the pics wont upload :t:

and Mark told you we were going down (the Blues that is):-C

Gav
If your setting is more than 3 Mega pix the pics wont upload :t:

and Mark told you we were going down (the Blues that is):-C

Oh! I was'nt aware of that cheers John, mind you who has a camera with less than three mega pix these days? It's about time they updated on these here forums it's not 1997 any longer 8-P

Brum aint down yet mate, there's no way Blackpool will win at Old Trafford, there's more chance of Mark seeing a Hobby ;)8-P

Just received a belated text that there was a spoonbill at the flashes between 4 and 5pm then it flew west.:eek!:
Just goes to show not everyone is tuned into the 'grapevine'. In the event of finding a rare bird could you ring or text one of the numbers listed at the front of the log books, this will set the grapevine in motion and help as many people as possible to see the bird.:t:
B :)John

Just received a belated text that there was a spoonbill at the flashes between 4 and 5pm then it flew west.:eek!:
Just goes to show not everyone is tuned into the 'grapevine'. In the event of finding a rare bird could you ring or text one of the numbers listed at the front of the log books, this will set the grapevine in motion and help as many people as possible to see the bird.:t:

Just had the same message, I am gutted, I left at five to four :C

Wow - top bird (again). Any idea who the finder was?

Dave - see what happens when you step out of the county. Forgot that Great Snipe and all the other good Norfolk birds and hot-foot it back to Upton!

Despite my joshing I'm sorry you missed it..you know I missed the last one by 90 seconds so I certainly feel your pain. I did have a feeling the last sighting would not be the last this year..maybe there is still more to come.. nail that exam tomorrow:t:

The Moors today 9am till 11am
GCG 9, Little Grebe on broadmeadow pool - I am sure they are nesting on here.
Tufted 25, Gadwall pr ( report of chicks seen yesterday ???)
Oystercatcher 4 ads and 3 chicks (1 + 2) two broods, Lapwing 6 ( 1 sitting) no other waders at all. Common Tern 6 (3 prs),
A few swifts, swallows and sand martins passed through
At the Flashes 11.15am till 5pm
Shelduck pr, gadwall pr
Avocet 37, LRP 6, Lapwing still 3 sitting ( 2 have abandoned) only 2 chicks now 20 days old. Dunlin 2 male and female schinzii,
10 broods of Mallard and 4 broods of coot.

while trimming the overhanging bushes along the board walk I noticed what I thought was sheep wool in the hawthorn just before the main flashes hide.
Closer inspection revealed caterpillars wrapped in a silk cocoon, any ideas what species? Gav or Des or anyone else with any knowledge of the subject.

Attachments

• 1. caterpillar in bush my steps.jpg
    1. caterpillar in bush my steps.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 2 catapilla.jpg
    2 catapilla.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 3 catapilla.jpg
    3 catapilla.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 64
Lapwing still 3 sitting ( 2 have abandoned) only 2 chicks now 20 days old[/B]

How long now untill the chicks grow sufficiently enough to not be predated (eg can easilly escape)????, I noticed the huge difference in the growth rates between the Avo's and the Laps, but fail to understant a reason why???
Is it food sources or genetic programming??
MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back