• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (80 Viewers)

There seemed to be more birds around home than the local countryside at the moment. One of my first birds of the year was a red kite which I saw within 15 seconds of leaving the house for my walk. Only managed 20 odd species for the year so far ;).
Though I heard a few that I couldn't see I hope things improve, the farmland is becoming more like a wetland and one with very little life.

Hi John
was at Fairburn this am, the reserve is open. There some flooding of the road at the Lin Dyke end of the reserve. None by the visitor centre yet, however water levels are the highest I've seen without the reserve being underwater so I reckon if the rain doesn't hold off then it will be flooded quite quickly.

Happy New Year.

Had an enjoyable but also an exhausting day on the bike today - out for nearly 7 hours, currently sat on a nice plump cushion!!!.

Spent most of the day at Wintersett/Anglers - never seen so many Birders there, even on previous New Years day visits - there were queues at the hide!!! Saw all the 'highlight' birds but must admit to really enjoying the showy Green Woodpecker near the hide - with the sun on it at 20 feet away - magic. Finally caught up with the Smew which I think was giving the majority (including me) the 'run around' in the afternoon.

Hope someone can clarify the following - is all of the Fairburnings reserve open as I heard it was recently closed due to flooding - cheers for any info you can provide on this.

John

Had an unexpected decent day at Brid yesterday...3 PurpS in with c 20 Turnstones at the N breakwate, beach side. Then up to Bempton for a nice surprise Merlin on fence at CPk then later 2 SEO Sth of the centre
Cheers Joe

Last edited:
Cracking start on the patch...

Cracking start to the new birding year nearly had a mega garden tick (waxwing)
over 30 differnt birds on a two hour stroll.

collareddove,sparrow,woodpigeon,sparrowhawk,crow,rook,jackdaw,robin,wren,fieldfare,redwing,whooper swan,mute swan,starling,magpie,dunnock,chaffinch,brambling,yellow hammer,siskin,bullfinch,greenfinch,waxwing,greater spotted woodpecker,moorehen,grey lag geese,barn owl,teal,wigeon,herring gull,pintail duck.

Think this might be a good year!!!!
more details of a cracking day on my blog....

http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 67
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 96
  • w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 68
  • mix1a.jpg
    mix1a.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 86
2 Bewick's Swans at North Duffield this lunchtime - very interesting darvic details. Waxwing still at Bubwith this morning too. Pics and details here now.

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:
Just been to Huddersfield and guess what, NO waxwings! Surprise surprise, birding is a frustrating hobby at times!!

Just back from a rather quiet east coast run. Highlights were 5 or so Red throated divers off the marine drive at Scarborough. Lovely views of Med gulls at holbeck and a mass of sanderling, turnstone, dunlin and purple sanpipers in Brid

Driving between two BTO Winter Thrush survey squares along a narrow lane near St Helen's Organic Farm (west of Tadcaster) this afternoon birds seemed to explode out of the hedges. I pulled up, walked back and counted (minimum) 60 Yellowhammers, 50 Tree Sparrows, 10 each Chaffinch and Reed Bunting and 6 Corn Buntings (two singing). Obviously organic farming does work!
Also skeins of Pink-footed Goose (150 over Harewood Bank, 190 over Wighill Ings) heading west. It seems a bit early for the Norfolk birds to be heading back.

Last edited:
Some impressive farmland bird flocks in the LDV today too (Tree Sparrow + Corn Bunting), also Bewick's finally showing closer than 500m!!!

Details/pics here

Cheers, Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back