• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (1 Viewer)

A few more Kingfisher photos from today.

Attachments

• IMG_0497ao.JPG
    IMG_0497ao.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0418ao.JPG
    IMG_0418ao.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0236ao.JPG
    IMG_0236ao.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0522ao.JPG
    IMG_0522ao.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0608ao.JPG
    IMG_0608ao.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 43
Nice images Ian, but for goodness sake stop using "save for web" as its stripping the exif out of your pictures, and some of use like to see it |:d| use "save as" instead its much better. It also makes it easier to see if someone has used your picture else where.

:cool:

Nice images Ian, but for goodness sake stop using "save for web" as its stripping the exif out of your pictures, and some of use like to see it |:d| use "save as" instead its much better. It also makes it easier to see if someone has used your picture else where.

Actually it's the noise filtration software that I use that strips the exif. Using it gets the file size down better than by increasing jpeg compression. There's no option to retain exif unfortunately. I only ever use 'save as' when saving copies of processed files.

The Grebes and Kingfisher were all taken with a Canon 40D + Canon 400mm f5,6 + 20mm extension tube attached from about 4 m. Settings were mostly 1/200 f8 with -1.0 EV at ISO400. Camera was mounted on a tripod.

A brief revisit this afternoon. Mostly to see what dragonflies were around.

Common Hawker and Common Darter by the small ponds by the car park. Emperor Dragonfly over the weed free pond with the odd Four-spot Chaser. All were a little too active for photos.

Terrapin on the weed covered pond very close to the patform but also very nervy.

On reaching the lake the female Sparrowhawk passed low by overhead circling a couple of times before heading over towards the landfill site.

Emperor Dragonfly on the lake by the hide with Common Hawker x2 and several Four-spot Chasers on the scrapes. Alos several Common Darter around.

Lots of butterflies including a few Comma.

Attachments

• IMG_1345ao.JPG
    IMG_1345ao.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1370ao.JPG
    IMG_1370ao.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1417ao.JPG
    IMG_1417ao.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1433ao.JPG
    IMG_1433ao.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1460ao.JPG
    IMG_1460ao.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the exif info Ian, the 40d is a great camera and still out sells the 50d. That's some strange noise reducing software you got there, I just use neat image for mine.

Must call in soon, it'll be good exercise for my foot, spending most of my time at foxglove covert now a days.

My usual Tuesday morning visit. Bright and sunny though with a good deal of broken cloud around and a little windy on and off.

Not a great day bird wise. Blackcap calling from the fence line by the A1185 when I arrived and Reed Bunting and Sedge Warbler with a few Goldfinch in and around the reeds.

An Emperor Dragonfly was over the large pond again by the car park and the terrapin was close to the wooden stage on the weeded pond.

The bushes by the railway near the lake held a Yellowhammer, Linnet and Goldfinch with a Wren flitting around and scolding. There seemed more Mallard on the lake though it could just be that they'd been disturbed from the edges. No sign of the Kingfisher. Several Swift, pigeon and a Kestrel overhead.

Dragonflies were the main feature of the day again. Best find was a Brown Hawker on the scrapes by the hide. It kept reappearing every 15-20 mins for about 5 mins before disappearing north before returning over the bank from Cow Bridge Beck giving excellent close views. Very active though always on the go and never landing or pausing - only managed one half decent photo of it.

Also on the scrapes were Common Hawker x3 (2m 1f), Emperor Dragonfly on and off, Common Darter x4, Four-spot Chasers and numerous damselflies.

Another Emperor Dragonfly on the lake.

Attachments

• IMG_1736ao.JPG
    IMG_1736ao.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1639ao.JPG
    IMG_1639ao.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1796ao.JPG
    IMG_1796ao.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1562ao.JPG
    IMG_1562ao.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1498ao.JPG
    IMG_1498ao.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 40
My usual Saturday morning wander around despite the grotty weather. Fine starting off but continuous light drizzle after the first 200m! Everything pretty sodden which wasn't surprising considering the torrential rain of yesterday. The becks were in flood with muddy water though not quite bursting their banks which I half expected to find.

I headed off along the cycleway not seeing or hearing a great deal. no sign of the Little Owls again. In fact the only birds seen before reaching the lake were two Yellowhammer, a Whitethroat, Wren and a Chaffinch!

The lake was quiet as well with Mallard c.15, Tufted Duck c.8, Coot c.8, Moorhen x3, Little Grebe x3. A Cormorant flew over inpsecting the lake but carried on west. Two LBB Gull were about as well occasionally diving on the young Mallard and Moorhen chcicks but I didn't see them catch anything today.

The Sparrowhawks are still doing well though I'm pretty sure there's just four now. Three females and a male. They're so crammed into the nest that it's hard to tell. When I checked back later one in a tree behind the nest tree and flew back to the nest and was scrambling about the branches. So one at least is fledging.

Around 9.30am a Kingfisher arrived landing first by the hide then on a perch near the nest and then moving into the Sparrowhawk corner. It seemd more interested in keeping out of the rain than in catching fish. It did eventually move into Francis's corner but I didn't see it catch anything. It was still there as I left. Whilst sat on the bench under the tree there were also fly-overs by Curlew, Whimbrel, Redshank and Oystercatcher.

A few butterflies seen including Painted Lady, Comma, Red Admiral. The only dragonflies were a Common Darter and an Emerald Damselfly.

Attachments

• IMG_3611ao.JPG
    IMG_3611ao.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3674bo.JPG
    IMG_3674bo.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3703ao.JPG
    IMG_3703ao.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3620ao.JPG
    IMG_3620ao.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 38
My visit this morning was somewhat cut short due to a change in weather. Starting off we had cloudy sunshine but after an hour the rain started so I headed on home.

Very little seen in the time I was there. Reed Bunting, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler were around the scrapes by the car park. A few damselflies about but maybe a little too dull for the larger dragonflies. A single Common Darter was seen between the ponds and the lake.

The lake held the usual Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Little Grebe and Tufted Duck. A Heron and a Cormorant passed overhead but didn't land. It was good to see a couple of Pochard back as well.

LBB Gull x3 were circling the pond but it looks like all of the young Mallard and Moorhen have either been eaten or grown too large for them. A few Swifts were over the water as well.

I'd just completed a circuit of the lake to the dragonfly scrapes when the rain started so after quick check on the Sparrowhawks I headed back home. Only two chicks left in the nest tree stood on various branches. The others were dotted around the trees calling every now and again. Quite possibly the last day any will be by the nest - which I have to say looks a right mess with all the splash marks, downy feathers and bits of discarded flesh and bones.

Attachments

• IMG_4749ao.JPG
    IMG_4749ao.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4640ao.JPG
    IMG_4640ao.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4630ao.JPG
    IMG_4630ao.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4616ao.JPG
    IMG_4616ao.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4615ao.JPG
    IMG_4615ao.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 26
A pleasant morning for a visit. Bright and sunny starting off if a little bit on the cool side in the cold winds. It warmed up mid-morning but the cloud cover built up as well.

A lot more birds in evidence today than on my last few visits.

Starting off I headed along the cycleway towawrds Cloff Bridge. By Faith Wood the hedges were full of birds with Bullfinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Tree Sparrow, Whitethroat and Blackcap plus a Yellowhammer.

No sign of the Little Owl but several Yellowhammer, Linnet, Tree Sparrow and Whitethroat. The horse feilds held around a dozen Swallow feeding low down to the grass plus the odd Swift, Sand Martin and House Martin.

As I started back towards Cloff Bridge the male Sparrowhawk took off from the top of the first tree and circled a couple of times overhead before heading off north-west. Looked like it may be the one from the pair that bred from the ring on it's leg.

Very quiet from Cloff Bridge to Cow Bridge Beck where a flock of Long-tailed Tit was near the confluence of the becks. Also a family if Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat in amongst the reeds.

Francis was working on the hide bringing it up to spec for the council Health and Safety regs. A kingfisher had been present just before I arrived.

The scrapes were pretty quiet starting off but soon a Common Hawker appeared then another and then two Brown Hawker. Several Common Darter and numerous damselflies about. Another Brown Hawker, Common Hawker and an Emperor Dragonfly were over the corner of the lake in front of the hide.

The lake held more birds than of late with Mallard x29, Tufted Duck x11, Coot .c9, Moorhen, Little Grebe x3. A Heron and Cormorant flew over but didn't land, likewise a flock of Oystercatcher.

Nothing else new seen heading back to the car park. No large dragonflies at all on those ponds.

Attachments

• IMG_5759ao.JPG
    IMG_5759ao.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5790ao.JPG
    IMG_5790ao.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5890ao.JPG
    IMG_5890ao.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5913ao.JPG
    IMG_5913ao.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5981ao.JPG
    IMG_5981ao.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 46
A brief look around yesterday. A little too overcast and windy to hang around anywhere for long. Another day of not many birds seen and even fewer heard.

Setting off I headed over to the lake. No birds at all seen in the hedge/wood by the activity centre. In fact the first birds I saw were as I approached the lake with Mallard and Crow calling and then flying up heading eastwards.

The lake was pretty much as my last visit with lots of Mallard and Tufted Duck along with the usual selection.

Sedge Warbler and Bullfinch were in the bushes by the bridge over Cow Bridge Beck where it meets Claxton Beck.

Following Claxton Beck I came across a few butterflies despite the dull weather with Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Small Heath, Red Admitral, Small Tortoiseshell, Small White, Green-veined White and Small Copper.

No sign of any Little Owl again.

The best spot for birds was along the cycleway with Barn Swallow c.30, House Martin c.40, Linnet c.30 and a few Sand Martin feeding over the horse fields. A few Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Starling and four Yellow Wagtail were landing on the field to feed. Seeing the Yellow Wagtail reminded me that they've been present the last few visits as well but very flighty.

Whitethroat and Wren were in the hedges as well.

Mid-morning the skies darkened further so I cut short my visit and headed home - making it back just as the rain arrived!

Attachments

• IMG_6685ao.JPG
    IMG_6685ao.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6716ao.JPG
    IMG_6716ao.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6815ao.JPG
    IMG_6815ao.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7000aoo.JPG
    IMG_7000aoo.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6918ao.JPG
    IMG_6918ao.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 37
Popped in looking for dragonflies early this afternoon seeing it was sunny but still on the breezy side.At the ponds next to the car park 1 Brown Hawker a few Common Darters.Most of the dragonfly activity was at the scrapes saw at least 4 Common Hawkers and 2 more Brown Hawkers and several Common Darters also the usual damselflies.Did'nt see many butterflies but there seems to be more Peacocks around.As for birds saw at least 3 Sparrowhawks.

A much better day for eveything yesterday - birds, butterflies and dragonflies.

Bright and sunny first thing though still with the pretty stiff cold winds.

Starting off I headed along the cycleway not seeing much until reaching Cloff Bridge where a Greenfinch was wandering around on the path. Looked liked a bad case of tric. Whitethroat, Wren, Chaffinch and Goldfinch were in the bushes either side of the path.

No sign of the Little Owls again. Two Yellowhammer were singing away in the hedge as well as Chaffinch feeding young and several Whitethroat.

Along towards the farm a dozen or so Tree Sparrow were flitting about the trees and hedges. There was frentic activity over the horse fields with feeding Swallow 30+ close by the path. A little more distant were Linnet c.40, Goldfinch c.30, House Martin c.30, Sand Martin c.10, Yellow Wagtail x4, Pied Wagtail x2.

Heading back down the path to Cloff Bridge a Kingfisher flew up the beck giving a brief view. By the bridge the butterflies had come out with Comma, Green-veined White, Large White, Peacock, a Red Admiral, Small Skipper and a Painted Lady. Also a few Common Darter around.

Following Claxton Beck down to Cow Bridge Beck few birds but plenty of butterflies with much the same species seen again but with the addition of Small Heath, Wall Brown and lots of Meadow Brown. The bushes/trees held Bullfinch again.

Crossing the bridge a Brown Hawker was over the raspberry canes.

A fair bit of activity by the dragonfly scrapes with at least two Common Hawker, a Brown hawker on and off which seemed to be the same one moving between there and the lake in front of the hide. At least 5-6 Ruddy Darter plus numerous damselflies.

The lake itself was pretty quiet though it was nice to see two tiny Little Grebe chicks being fed. Hopefully they'll escape the attentions of the two resident LBB Gulls. The bushes on the railway side held Whitethroat and Wren.

Back by the car park the ponds were almost devoid of dragonflies other than a few Common Darter and damselflies. The terrapin was basking in the sun on the weed filled pond. On the small circular pond a family of Sedge Warbler were feasting on blue damselflies but playing hard to see in amongs the reeds. The adult was ringed so it's probably the ones that bred by the weed filled pond.

All in all a pretty good visit.

Attachments

• IMG_9490ao.JPG
    IMG_9490ao.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9798ao.JPG
    IMG_9798ao.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9209ao.JPG
    IMG_9209ao.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8677ao.JPG
    IMG_8677ao.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8759ao.JPG
    IMG_8759ao.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 28
A few insects from this visit.

Attachments

• IMG_9716bo.JPG
    IMG_9716bo.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9442ao.JPG
    IMG_9442ao.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9767aao.JPG
    IMG_9767aao.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9350ao.JPG
    IMG_9350ao.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9429ao.JPG
    IMG_9429ao.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 42
Had a look for dragonflies this afternoon most of the dragonfly activity was at the ponds next to the car park 1 Brown Hawker,4 Common Hawkers,3 males and 1 female flying round and a few Common Darters.At the scrapes 2 more Brown Hawkers, 1 Common Hawker and a few more Common Darters. There were a group of people at the scrapes looking for dragonflies and doing some pond dipping they had'nt seen anything different.

I called in as well though around lunchtime.

Nothing at all on the first two ponds by the car park when I arrived. The Sedge Warbler family was present again with three young and the ringed adult.

The weed covered one held two Common Hawker and a Brown Hawker plus several Common Darter and a Ruddy Darter. The terrapin seems to have a acquired a resting place of dried reeds to the left of the platform. A few times I've seen it sat there now.

The scrapes by the main lake held three Common Hawker and a Brown Hawker but that soon disappeared. 20 minutes later I moved on when the dragonfly group arrived. It was a dragonfly identification class. They were pond dipping for nymphs and newts. Some of the nymphs were being taken back to the visitor centre for a closer look under the microscope.

Meanwhile the Sparrowhawks were making quite a racket as they practiced flying out over the scrapes and back into the trees. All the youngsters seemed to be scattered amongst various trees. Just a shame the only way to view them was looking straight into the sun.

On the lake in front of the bench along from the hide an Emperor Dragonfly was patrolling back and forth.

Back at the car park ponds a few more hawkers were about with three Common Hawker over the weed covered pond. The Brown Hawker made a brief appeareance before heading off north. The large weed free pond also heald a Brown Hawker which was present a good 30 minutes and still there when I left. Still frustrating to photograph as it never stays still.

Attachments

• IMG_0105ao.JPG
    IMG_0105ao.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9919ao.JPG
    IMG_9919ao.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9903ao.JPG
    IMG_9903ao.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1816ao.JPG
    IMG_1816ao.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1748ao.JPG
    IMG_1748ao.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 40
Dull starting of today but son clearing to quite a bit of sunshine in between the high broken cloud. Towards lunchtime though the cloud came in a little thicker again.

Very quite starting off today - 'deathly quiet' in fact. Not one bird seen along the cycleway bushes between the carp park and 200m after Cloff Birdge. In fact the only birds seen were a very distant Crow and likewise four distant pigeons.

The usual Yellowhammer x2 were the first birds seen followed shortly by a group of Tree Saprrow c.15 by the rubbish heap. The field has been cut for hay and there were lots of birds feeding on the ground - Tree Sparrow and Linnet seen. Only a few Swallow around today.

Heading back down the cycleway a few more birds were in evidence mainly through the Tree Sparrow constantly moving ahead of me though several Whitethroat were in and out of the hedges.

On reaching Cloff Bridge I hit the jackpot with 30-40 birds moving out of Faith Wood to the bushes by the bridge and then into the beck side trees. Largest single group were Long-tailed Tit 20+ but also a families of Blackcap, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Willow Warbler and Chaffinch. Mistle Thrush x3 flew past heading north towards the farm.

As usual the path down Claxton Beck was quite apart from butterflies with quite a few fresh looking Speckled Wood. Also Painted Lady, Comma, Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Wall, Large Skipper, Small Copper and Small Heath.

No sign of any dragonflies at all on reaching the scrapes so I sat for a while on the bench nearby. Nice to meet Ray again as well as Tim and his wife.

The Sparrowhawks were making a racket again with the youngsters often perched in the tops of the larch trees or flying along the lake side bushes and disappearing into them. A few times they dived down over the Willow Warblers feeding on the tops of the hawtorns but never came close to catching anything.

The lake was pretty quiet as well though the number of birds had a sudden increase as Mallard x26 flew in en-masse. It was nice to see the Little Grebe pair with two chicks still and being fed regularly by one of the adults before returning to the nest to doze.

Soon an Emperor Dragonfly appeared over the lake followed shortly by a Brown Hawker and I returned to the scrapes. Common Hawker x3 came and went as did Brown Hawker x2. Plenty of Common Darter around though no Ruddy Darter seen this visit.

On the ponds by the car park the terrapin was sat on the old Moorhen nest to the left of the platform on the weed covered pond. Talking the wardens yesterday they were saying it may be removed soon. Plans are also being made to remove the crassula weed, probably using chemicals though no date is set. A Common Hawker was over the weed.

Martin and then Jamie arrived for a look around as well.

The small circular pond held a Brown Hawker which perched on the reeds as soon as the sun went in. At least it was visible this time though very distant.

All in all a pretty good visit.

Attachments

• IMG_3215ao.JPG
    IMG_3215ao.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3319ao.JPG
    IMG_3319ao.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3299ao.JPG
    IMG_3299ao.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3328ao.JPG
    IMG_3328ao.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3465ao.JPG
    IMG_3465ao.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back