• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anglesey adventures (1 Viewer)

Ant

North Wales birder
I set off at 6am, we were dropping relatives off at holyhead to catch the 8am ferry to Ireland.

we parked up at holyhead harbour, with sparrows, and jackdaws for company before heading off.
First stop, penryn coastal park. A look here revealed curlew, oystercatcher, redshank, moorhen, mallard. and a lifer, pale bellied brent goose.
Down to cemlyn, the usual birds incuding rooks frequented the road.
Upon arrival pheasents pecked though a field, and a hare bounced around. A grey heron stood on the bridge, and a little egret by the car park.
Up on the lagoon itself, black headed gulls filled the island, along with a number of Sandwich terns (my first of the year) a ringed plover and a number of golden plover (A lifer, the second in 30 mins). whilst a number of red brested mergansers swam on the sea.

Onto Valley wetlands. Here, I came across a number of tufted duck, a pochard, cormorant, a few greylags and canada geese, and some ruddy duck. a number of dunnock and wren singing away. a large number of martins flew round one of the lakes, but there were so many, and going so fast, I couldnt decide if they where sand or house or both, so, they stay off the list, for now.

Next, onto south stack. Chough, gulls and the occasional meadow pipit here, no sign of the hooded crow though.
A stop at 4 mile bridge, in hope for the long billed dowitcher (hasn't been seen for a bit now) but no such luck.

Back onto the mainland, and a quick stop at conwy, but we never went round. I walked to the limestone pavements, accompanied by meadow pipits, magpies, jackdaw, and a buzzard .

Overall, not a bad day, with 2 lifers and 5 more birds on the year list.

Hi Ant,
Great report, sounds like you had a good days birding.
Well done on the P.B.Brent Goose, although I must confess to not knowing anything about "pale bellied" LOL! but I will take your word for it, well done Ant.

Sounds like you had a good day there, Ant. Lots seen and great to get two lifers. Did you manage any pics?

Kits said:
Sounds like you had a good day there, Ant. Lots seen and great to get two lifers. Did you manage any pics?

not many, havent loaded them yet.

Ant

ps, the brent may not be a lifer after all, i need to check through my records.

Ant said:
I set off at 6am, we were dropping relatives off at holyhead to catch the 8am ferry to Ireland.

I should have jumped on the return ferry Ant, Chough! Tufties!. I think we'll have to meet for a day's birding on Anglesey and Conway.. :t:

Ringed plover
oystercatcher
sandwich tern
cormorant
ruddy duck

Attachments

• SSL20433 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20433 (Medium).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 24
  • SSL20436 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20436 (Medium).JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 19
  • SSL20444 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20444 (Medium).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 21
  • SSL20451 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20451 (Medium).JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 24
  • SSL20448 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20448 (Medium).JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 22
Golden plover
llandudno
and the car reached the 8000 mile mark in bangor.

Attachments

• SSL20439 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20439 (Medium).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 20
  • SSL20456 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20456 (Medium).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 20
  • SSL20452 (Medium).JPG
    SSL20452 (Medium).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back